Reviews for The more things change
InSilva chapter 48 . 2/2
No, haven't forgotten Chapter 47. In case you *ever* think that would be possible.

Always interesting to see an outsider's perspective and here we are, going through the crooked game alongside the marks but with the absolute knowledge of what is really happening.

And this feels exactly the right sort of obnoxious (expletive deleted) that they will be going after all their life. Or at least one of their future marks' underlings. Cruel and picking on the underdog and outsmartable. Huh. Sudden thought that they might know Dan. Glad for Doug that they can sort it for him because can absolutely see the excitement in the older cousin coming to stay quickly disintegrating into the worst of times.

Smiling so much for Danny with the moustache. As always. And giggling for Rusty ripping it away at the end *just* at the moment when Danny thinks he's overcome with sentiment. Funny. And Danny can always play older and Rusty can always play younger. Especially in this fic. Do not think it would have worked so well the other way round whatever Rusty says, even though that's more about the way Danny's feeling.

Love Buzz helping them. And definitely Rustyprotective and sigh for everything Danny is feeling and can't show. "Paragon of self-control" indeed. Love the moment when Rusty is going to bite back. Tough to hold on to character when you're not made to roll over.

And it is a difficult con for Danny. Not the mechanics but the way he has to treat Rusty which is against everything that's in him and possibly the first time he's had to act this kind of part? Question mark's there because this is mtc. Also because you're going to remind me of something really obvious. And it won't be the last but the knot in his stomach is understandable.

Also, sense the talent show might be a true story. What *did* Daisy Smith use? ;)
MIr chapter 49 . 8/11/2013
I love this verse, I think it might be my favorite out of all fandoms. You have a great talent for making it feel so real, like real two kids who are just struggling against their parents and trying to support each other. Reading this makes me glad that at the very least, they have each other. At the same time, its impossibly sad because they only have each other and it shouldn't be that way. I must admit though, incidents like this are probably the highlights of Danny and Rusty's childhood. GNOMES. Brilliant really. Thank you for this chapter!
light at last chapter 49 . 8/2/2013
The gnome incident! I feel like someone just told we about the Noodle Incident from Calvin and Hobbes. I love it.

Of course, Danny's parents continue to be the worst, with Rusty's dad and Juliet Darcy in close competition. I just don't even understand why they had a child. For appearance's sake, I guess? But man, they are sucky parents.

Highlights, however, include the fact that the gnome thing was all about Mabel, Mike's comments right at the end, and the utterly hilarious conversation about crabapples, which was my favorite part. Especially Rusty's refusal to really acknowledge Danny's question, because he's *so invested* in the issue of crabs climbing trees. It's delightful.
Jusmine chapter 49 . 6/18/2013
Well, it's certainly been a long time since I was last a decent human being and reviewed, but may I just say that I love Danny's soccer mom instinct in pulling Rusty back up the wall? lol.
HP2 chapter 49 . 5/25/2013
Love it! Super cute :) Love your interpretation of these two as kids :)
Maia2 chapter 49 . 5/23/2013
Awww. Loved the definition. It was bizarre and funny. And I want to kill alll their parents. They were smart and sweet. Sad too. Thanks for sharing.
NerdBurga chapter 49 . 5/23/2013
Haha I remember reading the reference to this in 'All in the Family' and wondering when it would come up. So good as always. I feel so bad for these kids sometimes xD Thank god they have each other.
Loving getting your updates, you're a terrific writer.
light at last chapter 47 . 4/28/2013
Ugh, Danny's parents are the worst. I'm with Danny; I don't understand how anyone could see something like that and not want to help. But then, Danny's parents can't even be bothered with the kid who's already their responsibility, let alone take on another one, even temporarily. It's just a good thing that Danny and Rusty have each other because they'd both be balls of misery who'd grow up into disfunctional adults when they grew up otherwise. They need each other to tell them they don't deserve it, if nothing else.
ParisAmy chapter 48 . 4/15/2013
I've been rereading this fic lately and got to the chapter when Rusty's mom left and wondered what would have happened if Rusty's mom had taken him with her when she left.
Anyway! Another great chapter of this and can't wait for more, as always :)
TantalumCobolt chapter 48 . 4/3/2013
Hey!

I started reading this a little while ago - maybe just over a week? - and I finished it a few days ago, but I unfortunately didn't have reliable internet and I was extremely busy so I had no chance to review. However, this story was absolutely amazing and I loved it so much so I thought that the least I could do is come back and leave you a review! (WARNING: This will probably be VERY long)

First, I want to say that I'm still trying to work out what the simile in the first chapter meant. I've decided that if I got it in an exam my response would be along the lines of 'The simile has no meaning that can be explained because it is unrealistic, as well as impossible, for fridges to have feelings or show emotion due to the fact that they are inanimate.' I'm sure my teacher would be very pleased! :D You probably didn't need (or want) to know that, but I felt the need to share.

I've grown extremely fond of Rusty and Danny from reading your story. Their interaction is so close and unique, especially the way you've written it. Danny's desire to help fits in well with the impressions I got from the movie - especially Ocean's 13 - as does Rusty's stubbornness and conviction that he doesn't need help. The ideas they come up with and the roles they play in the cons were great! I think my favorite would have to be this one, although the halloween party was a close second. I'll be honest and admit that I can't quite remember every detail, but what I do remember was fantastic!

Rusty's situation makes me feel desperately sorry for him and I want nothing more than for Danny to somehow make it better. I like to think I'm realistic however and I know that won't happen. Instead, I'm waiting with baited breath for the moment when they run away. Speaking of which... The timeline at the beginning of each chapter was very helpful, but I was confused by the section a the bottom 'sequels after they move away'. Are they future parts to the story that haven't been written/uploaded yet? Sorry, I'm just not sure whether I'm missing something or not.

Okay, this is much longer than I thought and I wish I could write more, but I'm slightly worried it may be TOO long. One last thing to say - because you really can't have a review without it!. Please, please, please update with more chapters soon! Now that I've started reading I can't escape from a desire, a need, to know what happens to Danny and Rusty!

Amazing story and this review - no matter how long - cannot do it justice.

-TaCo
InSilva chapter 45 . 3/29/2013
Isn't it "All fun and games until somebody loses an eye"? And yes for the demon but also shivering for what might have been in mtcverse.

Lots of tension in Danny with the glaring and the snapping at Rusty and you make it quite clear why. The stakes have never been higher. A chance to break free from their homes and it matters and they need to get it right (which in Danny's head sounds more like *he* needs to get it right). And it's clear that it hasn't been plain sailing. Looking forward to reading the arrest chapter at some point and incidentally, absolutely right that things *don't* all go their way as thieves and conmen because they won't when they're older. S'more realistic. And it reinforces the point that not all danger is domestic.

Rusty isn't worried though. Because there's Danny to believe in. And I love the:

"He sighed and closed his eyes for a second. "I'm scared I'll let you down," he admitted quietly.

For a moment, Rusty just looked at him. Then he laughed, softly. "Oh, Danny," he said. "That's never, ever going to happen.""

Because no and never and that's not going to change.

Ahem. Story. Smiling for the arrangements for the Hallowe'en party to end all Hallowe'en parties. And I remember how starchy Julian is so I like the picture of him on his own or possibly with Norris with hats on their heads and forlorn Jello. This is so much better. Love the attention to detail with all the horror and giggling for the:

"Think we have enough," he said, before catching sight of the look on Rusty's face. "Huh. Okay, we'll get more."

which of course reminds me of O11.

Moment of ouch with Pat appearing. Of course the break up still hurts for Danny even though he'd never make any other choice. Still raw.

The crime itself is clever and straightforward and very them and I like that they hear from Leo how good they are. So they should. And more than anything, I like the happiness at the end. The belief that they can do the (im)possible.
light at last chapter 48 . 3/11/2013
I kind of love it when your story starts off with names I don't know. Means I get to spend the beginning of the story playing where's Danny and Rusty, like a really great game of Where's Waldo? And Danny's fondness for fake moustaches apparently began early. Which is sort of worrying really.

I'm glad that Danny and Rusty were able to help Doug out and seek his revenge for him. I feel like their childhood shenanigans dovetail nicely with their later exploits, which are part revenge, part defense of friends, and part hilarity. All in all, a lovely glimpse into Danny and Rusty's early career. And I'm glad Danny was able to hold onto his self-control, even if I would have appreciated him punching Blake myself.
Emi-Ly Sway chapter 48 . 2/27/2013
this was as enjoyable as always. The ending brought a smile to my face.
unique94chick chapter 48 . 2/24/2013
At this point, if you post another story I think I'd be more excited than if a new Ocean's film was announced! Need another one! Maybe a DannyRusty chicken pox one...your one fic has me wondering...:D
Maia2 chapter 48 . 2/24/2013
This was, as usual, great. Loved seeing it from the other guy's eyes. And yes, I was getting angry at the same places as 'John' and I can't begin to imagine how hard this was for Danny. But they were, of course, great.
Thanks for sharing,
Maia
PS: feel free to rant as much as you want. You are so eloquent at it, it's a pleasure to read.