Reviews for The more things change
sam13579 chapter 51 . 2/7
That was an incredible ride from start to finish. I still can't really believe that it's finished. I remember back in chapter 1 thinking I'd just stumbled upon a really great one-shot, and here I am 51 chapters later. Absolutely terrific writing. I love every detail and every little story you put into it, not a line wasted. I love how things connected and I actually really enjoyed that it wasn't told in chronological order. There was something so wonderful about having the story unravel as I read further, and saw how they got to where they are. This whole thing has really stuck with me in my day-to-day life. I find myself randomly smiling at times or getting upset when I suddenly remember bits and pieces from The More Things Change.

Everything's just so well written. You set each scene so perfectly so I really felt like I was there right alongside them watching them grow up. And you have an amazing way of writing each character as there own, and I grew to love (and hate) many supporting characters. I really appreciate how you write each character as there own, and don't have them hyper-focused on Danny and Rusty.

Brady's always been someone I just generally liked, even more so after seeing his part with Rusty and also in the chapters back when he gave Rusty the gloves. Brady's no Danny, but he's still a great friend. Mabel was someone else. It occurred to me that they might never show up at her diner again, and she'd never know what happened to them. I wonder if she also got a postcard? Mabel was another brilliantly written character, who left an impact even though, particular in the later chapters she wasn't mentioned as much.

I really enjoyed how unique each character here is, often when I read things that have lots of characters, they tend to fade into each other and seem to be written very similarly, but you've definitely managed to write each so starkly and realistically different from each other. They all have there own motivations and beliefs, based on there own experience. On a side note, I liked how you showed that Rusty's father was most likely abused by his father, and was continuing the chain. It doesn't excuse his behavior of course, but it gives it a really raw and hopeless feel to it.

I never thought I could of enjoyed this as much as I did, but I found fantastic, so wonderfully brilliant and creative. I loved the high school shennagins, It always being DannyandRusty, Them ruling the school, breaking in just to change a detention, the picture they took at the fair, There first meeting in school, Rusty's love of candy, the half finished conversations no one else could understand, how they spoke without words, and all the little things that came together to make it how it is.

Have to say one of my favorite things was the small victories they had, like when they worked together to humiliate Norris or the gnome army cemented into the garden, and so many other things that had me grinning the whole time I was reading. By the end I was completely drawn into there world, I can picture there school and how it must of lost a little magic now that danny and rusty arent there, i can picture the diner, dannys house, rustys apartment, the bridge they jumped off with the gold clubs, the library, just everything was captured so splendidly, I really felt like I was watching it in front of me rather than reading.

Something else I really appreciate about your writing is how you don't have to spell things out to the reader. You don't write excessive detail explaining things, but you don't leave it completely vague either. You created a really nice balance of knowing when to explain and when to leave things unsaid.

I was surprised to see the last chapter from Brady's view, but I absolutely loved seeing it from an outside perspective, especially Brady's. I saw another review that mentioned how it was nice that this chapter focused on Rusty more, who is often left out of the spotlight, despite both he and Danny having that role, even if Rusty does prefer not to be noticed (that was to roughly paraphrase, the review was written far more articulately then that) and I completely agree.
Very interesting to note that everyone that knew Rusty in the school did sort of know about his father, but chose to not focus on it. Danny's frustration about not getting help is extremely rational.

The last paragraph in particular got to me. It felt so triumphant, just like, they did it, they really did it. They escaped.
As much as I could easily read another 51 chapters explaining exactly how the pulled it off and what happened, I really loved the ambiguity of the ending. I think part of that is having it from Brady's perspective, I don't know how to explain it exactly but I think it was a really brilliant and clever way of finishing it. I can really see how it's sort of a ride-of-into-the-sunset ending from the classes view. With Danny and Rusty being the mysterious and innovative school legends who could do anything. Who finally packed up and left probably doing something exciting, impossible, inexplicably funny, and illegal, while Brady kind of knows better, and just hopes there alright now, and is glad there gone but at the same time sad he's lost them and will likely never see them again.
I have to admit to feeling pretty giddy reading the last chapter, and just the little things like Rusty not being in the classroom in his spot, and the class uniting with Brady as a sort of homage to the boys.
I can't even describe how i felt when I finished reading it, I was grinning and teary-eyed at the same time. I'm finding comfort in the fact that you've written other stories within this universe (that ill be sure to read/review!) But also because this is the kind of story that gets better and better every time you read it. I cant wait to go back and read it and pick up on any details that I missed, and laugh and cry all over again.

You are an incredible writer, I couldn't praise this enough. Fantastically written. Seriously, well done.
meimei1 chapter 24 . 1/21
There was so much in this chapter, it was so much fun to read! The past chapters have been dark and more serious so it was nice to see a chapter with them just getting into mischief again. It was really fun watching them pull off getting each item for the play. I also really liked the little bit where they're messing around with the sword and then switch over to the same side, the same as they did and previous chapters when they were much younger. It's funny to see how it parallels with how they are when they're older.
Just a really fantastic chapter and so much fun to read. Cant wait to read more! thank you always for writing!
meimei1 chapter 23 . 1/21
This chapter was so intense and breathtaking. It's painful to see the way rusty's treated and even worse when he says he deserved it. Despite how heartbreaking it was, there were so many things i really loved about this chapter. Like danny having conversations with rusty without rusty saying a word. Danny not really knowing what to do when rusty won't talk but is understanding anyway. Danny feeling the silence so he starts to read matilda, which hits a little too close too home for both of them, and danny talking about the movie and giving it his own hopeful ending, and there just so many little things that were so brilliant and well written and explain there relationship perfectly. It was just so great to read, thank you so much for writing. honestly cant wait to see where they are and what there doing in the next chapter. I'm off to read it now, thanks again for writing!.
meimei1 chapter 22 . 1/21
Nice chapter, short and sweet. It's really nice to see in more depth what danny really thought about his dad. Also to see more about what his dad thought. It was really interesting to see that there were times where dannys dad was nice to rusty, when it was just the three of them, but could never defend him in front of dannys mum. Danny bringing the teddy bear was really sweet to. Nice to know he didn't have any hard feelings against emma, even though it would reasonable if he did. Also liked that dannys mum listens to rusty and accepts that he knows danny better than she does, even if she doesn't like it.
it had somber feel but was also just a really nice chapter.
Thank you for writing, cant wait to see where they're at next chapter.
meimei1 chapter 21 . 1/20
ooh I like how this chapter focuses more on danny and rusty separately rather than together as they usually are. I like how everyone finds it odd to see one and not the other, and that they automatically think of both if they think of one. Also really interesting to see, rusty in particular, from others perspective. The parts with patricia seemed a little poignant knowing that danny breaks up with her not all that long after, but it was still really nice to see her part in everything, and her relationship with danny and friendship with rusty. It seems like she was probably one of the closest people they got to telling the truth, or having her figure it out anyway.
Also liked the focus on buzz. I felt pretty bad for him this chapter. It was almost like he had to choose between rusty and danny. No matter what decision he made he would be doing right by one and wrong by the other.
another great chapter, and i cant wait to see what the next will be about. I really enjoy how you've written it, so it feels like each chapter is a puzzle piece in there life that helps to explain the end picture. Thank you again for writing!
meimei1 chapter 20 . 1/19
oh this was such a great chapter. I have to admit it really struck when rusty was surprised norris hit didn't hurt and danny had to remind him that he hit like a 13 year old. I didn't get it for a seconds and re-read again, and wow.

Also said this before, but i really love how small things and throw-away lines from other chapters turn up again and we get to see the whole plot about it, like danny losing the photo, than getting the chapter at the fair. And this chapter i remember ages back one of them saying they've already done that when asked if they would jump off a bridge if the other did, and this chapter showed the story behind it. Also liked when danny realized he asked if the bag was waterproof and not if rusty knew how to swim. Its normal to have just assumed that he could, but its interesting to see how much it bothered him that he didnt ask.
The ending was fantastic. They really showed that together they're a force to be reckoned with this chapter. I loved they way they used there lifting skills to get back at Norris.
And ive probably mentioned this before but it was just so good this chapter, i really love they way you've written there conversations and how they speak together. When they're just talking to each other its all half finished sentences and barely comprehensible to anyone else, but when there talking to norris they still bounce off each other, but make sure he understands clearly every word that there saying to him. Its just really great to read, and its the same to how they talk in the movie. You've really written the dialogue so perfectly and enjoyable, while still so accurate to the characters. You really have a fantastic grasp of both characters, and it's just so enjoyable to read and watch them grow together.
Thank you always for writing! Cant wait to read the next chapter!
meimei1 chapter 19 . 1/19
ahh this chapter was just so warm and bright. Im still smiling from it. i think im going to feel happy for the rest of the day. So much fun to read to, i loved how they both pushed each other out of the way when mike threw the snowball at them, and both got each other gifts even though they decided against it, also that part when mike found suggesting to split them up hilarious. Just a really great chapter to read and you really are a talented writer. Each description, memory, conversation, etc, is just written so well. Can't wait to read the next chapters.
For Christmas here is super hot since its summer, which is always kind of disappointing. I'm envious of places that snow around Christmas. Just seems how its suppose to be.
thanks again for writing!
meimei1 chapter 18 . 1/19
wow that was a great chapter. You wrote the start and finish of danny's relationship with patricia so perfectly. Dannys descriptions of her and each date was so beautiful and spectacularly written. Also love rusty's loyalty throughtout the chapter, and him never getting annoyed with danny for spending more time with patricia, because he could see danny was happy.
Just really brilliantly written.
Thank you for writing!
meimei1 chapter 17 . 1/19
Another really fun chapter to read. I love seeing ow much trouble they get into just by going to the fair, and how they manage to get out of it. I really loved the bit with the photo, I had a feeling that was going to be bought up again since the chapter where danny lost his wallet. For some reason I thought they were going to keep the fish and was surprised when it died despite it never being mentioned in any other chapter lol. I just really liked the whole feel to this chapter, seemed kind of nostalgic in a way. I actually also really like that i dont have any idea whats coming next. It's really fun just trying to map there lives together with the little bits from there lives each chapter gives, and seeing how they've gotten to where they are.
Thank again for writing! off to read the next chapter now.
meimei1 chapter 16 . 1/19
aww man that was fun to read. So great to see them back to normal again, i was grinning throughout this whole chapter. I really loved the way this whole plot line developed. And its really fantastic to see how quickly they fall back into there friendship and start bouncing off each other again and having fun.
Absolutely loved the very last paragraph. Its really incredible and really lays out what there about and they got to where they are. Honestly wished i had the vocabulary to give a really clever and insightful review, because this chapter (and all the others) definitely deserves one. I keep saying i love it over and over again and i wish i could properly describe why.
But nonetheless, another brilliant chapter, last paragraph in particular was fantastic, seemed like the end of one thing and beginning of something else. Kind of poignant and exciting at the same time.
Once again thanks so much for writing!
meimei1 chapter 15 . 1/19
ohhh rusty. As much as i think danny did the right thing by trying to tell someone about it, i can see how rusty must of felt betrayed by it. I was expecting rusty to argue with danny about it, and i think danny was expecting that to, and it was so much worse seeing rusty lie and try to laugh it off. The teachers not being much help is painfully true. I remember in my first primary school one kid always showed up with bruises all over him. The teacher filed a report on it, and the schools next procedure was to get the boy and his father and bring them into the principles office with a social worker and teacher and interview him. Naturally the kid denied ever being hit by his father, and they dropped the case. The next day he showed up to school looking a hundred times worse than ever before. The teacher was honestly devastated by it, but it just goes to show how incompetent schools are with dealing with it, but also how unfortunately true-to-life rusty's experience is. He's got it tough.
Well that was a more depressing review, but i really do enjoy that you go into a lot of depth and don't shy away from anything. Also loving they way you have darker, bigger problems mixed in with them worrying about normal kid things.
Anyway great to read as always! cant wait to see where this is going!
meimei1 chapter 14 . 1/19
So cool to see how it all started! I love how you added how rusty's nickname came about. I also loved the little bit where danny came out and rusty was already there pretending to tie his shoelaces on the wall. You really mix the more light-heartedness of there relationship with the darker things so well. I love those little bits where you show there similarities, even though the majority of the chapter shows how different they are. I really enjoyed seeing them as little kids, seeing these chapters where there much younger really helps to show how they've changed each other as they've gotten older. It's kind of them against the world right now, and it's easy to see how that could of influenced there decisions and how they see things.
Another brilliant chapter, very emotional. Rusty's tearing my heart out. I just want him to move out with danny and go start another highschool. I'm actually really curious to how that will play out. The chapter a while back when they were at danny's college mentioned it, but i wonder how and if it will work for them.
Anyway thank you always for writing! Off to read the next chapter now.
meimei1 chapter 13 . 1/18
ahh its so good to see how they met. And you really get a good grasp of there personalities in the first few seconds of there first conversation. This was so much fun to read, and so nice to see how everything came to be. I'm off to read the next chapter now, but thank you again for writing!
meimei1 chapter 12 . 1/18
aww man this was good. I love seeing these two from someone elses perspective. I love how well they understand each other and how loyal rusty is to danny, staying by his side even when he's unconscious. like i mentioned, its actually really interesting seeing there relationnship from the nurses view. As much as i love them both, i can see how it would be infuriating to be around them, and not be able to understand half of what there talking about, like you were always on the outside of something. Also loved the way rusty would sort of flicker between someone matured well beyond his years, to a sweet little kid. ANyway i need to go read the next chapter, but thannnkk you, very much, for writing!
meimei1 chapter 11 . 1/18
Ahh i love this so much. Kind of ironic that danny had his wallet stolen lol, but that bit about losing the picture of him and rusty really struck. I really liked the way you wrote them not wanting it to be about the money but getting a little desperate to get some anyway. I really love the way this goes from them talking about scams and money to them talking about the school formal. Its fun to see them going from talking like adults to highschool kids. Cant wait to read more, im honestly loving this so, so much. Thank you so much for writing!