Reviews for Between Days
Katie chapter 29 . 11/11/2014
It's been five years since this amazing fic was finished, and I don't know if you still check this or even have any interest in Escaflowne. I found your story after watching Escaflowne for the second time; more than a decade has passed since my first viewing. Like many people, I felt that there were too many unanswered questions left by the end of the series and I went looking for fanfiction to fill the gaps of dissatisfaction and heartache.

I read your story twice in two weeks, and though in your afterword you express some discontent with certain aspects of the story, I wanted you to know that this is without a doubt the best Escaflowne fanfiction I have read, and you'll have to take my word for it, but I have read a lot of them.

Your story went a long way towards giving me more of what I wanted from the series. I love Escaflowne for its story-telling, world-building, and its numerous subtleties of story, and I found so much more of that in Between Days. In my head, your story is canon... the events fit nearly seamlessly between the last scenes of the series. So much of your imagery was so beautifully (and not, in my opinion, excessively) described and so much of the dialogue left me hearing the characters' voices in my head. So much of your characterization was so spot-on!

Thank you for writing this, for persevering to the end to give the fans the closure that they deserve. I would never ask you to re-write Between Days as you hinted that you might someday in your LJ, but if you do, I'll be keeping an eye out for it. I suspect after five years I'm looking in vain, but thank you for what you have given to the fandom already. I'm only sorry that I have come back so late to the party, when likely you have moved on and won't ever read this.

Thank you, again. I know I'm not the only one who needed to read your story!
Arisa20 chapter 29 . 7/3/2014
This is one of the most wonderfull & romantic Escaflowne stories that i have read 'till now. Sorry, but i have to say it..well done!
I hope that in the future you will wright another fanfiction with Van & Hitomi...
crazyforcanines chapter 29 . 5/1/2013
Officially head-canon.

I am in tears, this is so beautiful. It gives me a lot of closure, something I've never been able to find since watching Escaflowne seven years ago. I just have no words for how good this is.

Thank you for creating this, and for sharing it with the world.

*hugs you*
zealousy chapter 29 . 1/11/2013
So according to the status info, you wrote this about a couple years ago and you've probably gone on to bigger projects in other fandoms. But I have to say that this is one of the best pieces of fanfiction I've ever read - it's truly one of the only fics that have enhanced any canon storyline I've been immersed in.

I love that you took time to flesh out all the relationships between the characters. The details you put made me love the characters and their relationships more as the story progressed. All the nuances and little bits of history you added and explained pulled together lots of hanging plot threads concerning the growth of the main cast. It makes the final scene of Hitomi leaving for home so much more bittersweet and organic.
I especially loved that you featured Celena as part of the main cast. She took on the journey to finding and establishing her own self against the odds. Her character was refreshingly spirited and determined - which surprised me (in a good way) because of the alternate or darker ways her character could have been interpreted.
Also I was surprisingly taken in by Eries's storyline with Allen and Millerna. I liked that you didn't sidestep the impact that royalty has on the intimate lives and relations of royals. The little flashes of the sisters's childhood blended well together with canon and the story's events. Plus I'm always invested in sibling relationships, especially ones as well done as the one between the story's Eries and Millerna.
And Dryden was amazing. Just yeah. The conversation between him and Allen is one of the funniest bits of interaction in the whole piece. And I liked the way that you delved into Allen's thoughts, now it's easier to see him in a more sympathetic light.
Last but not the least, I loved the relationship you built for Van and Hitomi. It really bridged the characterization gap between the end of the war to the goodbye scene between the two. Their interactions were natural, in turn making the growth of both of their characters and relationship very organic. There were no walls of text with overly dramatic love speeches, rather the right amount of words and plenty of actions that spoke louder than words. It really felt like a relationship between two people who are straddling the line between adolescence and adulthood, a relationship that is part impulsiveness and part cautious because they both have or lack experience for these matters. But most of all, it was a relationship between equals - despite the fact that Van was king or that Hitomi was from a totally different culture/planet, both respected each other's decisions (which made Hitomi's leaving scene so much more heartbreaking).
I also liked the development of Hitomi's love for Gaea so that it gives depth to her departure from the people and place that she's come to love. Her memories of Gaea go beyond the war she is aware that how damaging those memories are. That she allowed herself to get space and time away from Gaea and Van to heal and to grow.

In your last author's note, you commented that you wrote this piece though a romantic lens. Escaflowne is a romantic series in the sense that it's all about making one's own happiness and destiny. In the end, I think your writing lived up to the tone and themes of Escaflowne beautifully. Your epilogue rings true to the canonical events of the show and gives a world of possibilities to the Hitomi and Vans's future. Thank you for gracing the archives of Escaflowne fanfiction.
Achi J chapter 29 . 9/10/2012
First of all I have to thank you for this wonderful story. I read it in increments over several nights, partly to savor it, but mostly afraid that it would end. The world building was excellent, the words rich and evocative (I felt like I was reading something straight out of the original source most of the time), and the story thrilling and heart wrenching at all the right moments. Hitomi exasperated me at some points (accepting drinks from strangers, getting drunk, and then letting it happen again!) but I couldn't dislike her, she was only too human. By the end of it everyone had experienced some sort of growth, but you never made them out to be more than who they were, and I loved them for it, warts and all. I especially commend you on Merle, who I think was handled gracefully and delicately, because I find that she is usually sidestepped entirely. Most of all, I love that you gave equal attention to all the characters; I usually end up having a favorite character, but here I was equally invested in all their fates. I'm sad now that this amazing experience has come to an end, but I enjoyed every moment while it lasted :) Keep writing!
xmyrin chapter 20 . 12/8/2011
I loved this fic, one of the most well-written fanfic I've ever read. I would love to see a sequel to this one!
Kagome Kamiya chapter 29 . 8/21/2011
Oh god... I can't believe it's over! T_T It was so hard finding an Escaflowne fanfiction that had EXACTLY what I wanted to read and now I finished reading it and I can't help but cry like a baby. I loved every second of it, every scenario, every description - I could imagine every detail while reading.

It was awesome, I can't put it into words. Thank you for writing such an awesome fanfiction!
Eien-Kiseki chapter 29 . 12/12/2010
Pardon me while i burst into tears in the corner of the room now.

This story has been a wonderful journey to experience and it is so beautifully written. You did a amazing job connecting the ending of Escaflowne and writing about changes that occurred for everyone after the destruction of the fate machine and Hitomi's leaving. Everyone is so wonderfully canon that it took no effort at all for me to imagine the events happening in this story.

I want to say thank you for writing this great story, it is one of a kind and after reading it I feel infinitely more satisfied with Escaflowne's ending, you definitely achieved your goal of 'closing the circle' so to say.
puma1sunfire chapter 29 . 7/16/2010
Such a good story but you kinda dropped the ball in the last chapter. Yeah I mean its nice and all but you was building up to so much more than that with the story. Anyways great story and thanks for finishing it. I truly enjoyed.
apocalypseHunter chapter 29 . 2/7/2010
Hey. You're going to write a sequel, right? Right? Please? PLEASE? I promise I'll read! PLEASE! I mean, you just left it hanging, and you're such a great writer, and all. It seems like it'd be easy for you to write a sequel. Please? PLEASE? I WILL READ!
Jachien chapter 29 . 12/25/2009
Amazing. Very beautifully written.
Dagaz16 chapter 29 . 12/15/2009
love love love this fic! Great job _
velvetsarabi chapter 1 . 11/17/2009
I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your story so much that I pulled an all nighter and skipped class because I just couldn't put it down. In my opinion, it had a few rough moments but they were pretty much insignificant. Thank you for all your hard work and keep writing :D
aye-know-hah chapter 29 . 11/17/2009
YAY! you finished! [and I finally found some time to read the ending!...darn school] Thank you for writing an excellent and entertaining story. :D
Lil' Dinky chapter 29 . 11/15/2009
Great epilogue! Very, very interesting and very in-keeping with the mood of your story (ie, romantic, but not sappy or melodramatic). I really enjoyed this story. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us. And please, do keep writing. Your skills are quite impressive! Good luck with whatever you chose to do next!