Reviews for Eternity and the Mirror
Rayless Night chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
I love this - it's both beautiful and uncompromising, much like Chris herself. The beauty's in the flow of language and the use of imagery, but the harshness comes in when you look at her circumstances as a whole.

Chris has come to accept her role as a Runebearer, and she does it with (stoic) grace, but it's not entirely a happy ending. She's grown more detached from those around her, behind glass. People know her less as a person and see her more as beauty on display. But, unlike the butterflies, she cannot escape their eyes by deteriorating. Though it's suggested she may outlive her usefulness as a commander, so possibly she'll be able to retire from the public eye that way. Though that's also sad, in a way, because fighting is largely how Chris defines herself, so after all that, who will she be?

Beyond the sadness, you really captured her humility - she would rather just do her job than be praised. And, apparently, she's still corresponding with Nash (?), which is a nice touch.

The butterflies work well as a central image, beauty that's meant to be preserved in stasis, much as Chris stopped aging when she took her Rune. At the same time, they're inevitably crumbling. It's also interesting because butterflies typically symbolize change and rebirth, elements Chris now lacks.

Crit (I realize this is an older fic, but I hope you don't mind.):

some typos towards the end: bust [arrives]; attend [to it]; [she] says, "[that] wouldn't...

Salome's indirect dialogue at the end comes unexpectedly, so is jarring.
Bibliomaniac chapter 1 . 11/20/2008
Beautiful .. the Chris you portrayed here is so beautiful if sad at the same time. But I do love tragedy.

So, any hope that you'll expand this to a more thorough story of her journey through time? What would become of her as time passed, people changed, friends and comrades gone? Where would she be then?
akai-sunset chapter 1 . 1/13/2008
great to see a very well written character study of my all time favorite character in any Suikoden. _ you went into a lot of specific details and really delved into her character. contrasting images and that last line really make this piece.
n00bshoes chapter 1 . 11/30/2007
Very well-written.
Kitsilver chapter 1 . 11/26/2007
A strong reflective piece on Chris. Definitely not for every reader because of its attention to detail and introspection rather than plot or dialogue, as well as its longer sentences. But a good piece all the same.

It's the imagery that shines most. I like the contrast between the eternal, beautiful goddess and the woman who cannot dance or sing, nor converse well. And I really like the contrast between the swords and shields of her knighthood and the butterflies of her youth.

The Chris you portray is serious and down to earth, but one whose spark of life and happiness seems to have faded. A touch of loneliness pervades the piece, especially poignant at the end when she sees that "the butterflies, even in their glass cases, have started to dry into powder."

Like those butterflies in their glass casing, innocence and joy can crumble to dust though one's outward appearance remains unchanged.

Because imagery and introspection is the focus of this piece it's not that easy to read, nor will it appeal to everyone. But if Chris is a favorite character and one is willing to spend time with a quieter, more reflective piece, it's a good one to check out.
fireseal chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
Good character study. I'm guessing the other two are Nash and Salome? Would prefer if you included the rest of the knights (Leo, Borus, Roland) in this as well, since their camaraderie and loyalty have also helped Chris grow. Also, I think that there's more you can put into it; I like the insights here, and the whole thing with beauty and eternity and preserved butterflies, but I think there's more you can breathe into Chris.

All the same, this is a lovely piece, grounded on a strong theme. I hope this won't be your last GenSui I fic. :)
Fion chapter 1 . 10/31/2007
The girl is Yun and the man is Nash, I presume?

I like your style, descriptive but not flowery.
Suikorin chapter 1 . 10/30/2007
I am dumb. I don't know who Chris's other two "special people": were.

Honestly, this is one of the prettier pieces I've read on here. Full of imagery and deeper meanings. So keep it up. Now I go look at other things you've written