Reviews for Objects in Mirror
Sari Dark chapter 1 . 5/7
I enjoyed both the story and the reflective essay. Thank you!
HardyGal chapter 1 . 9/27/2013
Woah… Just… Woah.
I followed most of what you wrote. And I loved it. For some reason, there was something about it that sort of scared me. I don't know what.
I love the first Transformers movie (I'm watching the Simmons, Sam and Mikaela interrogation scene right now), but certain parts bothered me. You managed to remind me what that was…
I hate Simmons. I don't really accept the fact that he becomes an ally later. The snobbishness reflected by how he throws his weight around as a government agent really got to me, but it was the perverted way he looked at Mikaela that truly freaked me out. You certainly freaked me out with him calling 'Bee 'sweetheart' and 'butterfly'.
I love how you dealt not only the human nature but also the nature of the Cybertronians. Also, great job on Prime.
The lubrication scene was always awkward for me. It was sort of… wrong. And yes, the essay at the end pretty much voiced it.
I also love the way you mirrored Bumblebee and Simmons. It was sort of scary in a way, but excellent.
The way Simmons viewed the Cybertronians as non-sentients at first just made me want to knock his head off. ('I want that thing frozen and ready for transport!')
Excellent writing, excellent essay…
It's a good thing I'm writing this down cause I talk really fast… Keep up the good work!
Albion North chapter 1 . 3/27/2011
Fascinating. I cannot truly say I enjoyed the story, simply because of its ambivalent and slightly ambiguous nature, but it was thought-provoking. For me, that's just as good. Thank you for attaching the author's note/essay to the end of this. I found the comments about distancing and projecting insightful, and appreciate the effort you went to in explaining what would otherwise have been a strange and strangely unresolved story. The ideas you proposed about which side the audience identifies with in the noted scenes helped me understand part of what bothers me about the Transformers movie. (Though I love some parts, namely the characters and the amazing action, I cannot say I wholly enjoy it.) Overall, the story and the accompanying essay, without which the story really would be incomplete, made me think and provided me with an additional set of perspectives to view this and other movies from. Well and thoughtfully written.
arctapus chapter 1 . 10/26/2010
outstanding story and outstanding story. the only thing that came to my mind with Ironhide was the idea that organic people were so small it would be like worrying about ants. (I do.) I agree with all your points and even if Bumblebee is a youngling and all, he still would know his people's expectations. And then there is the growing up in a man's/mech's world, the army world where male macho behavior is given, especially by a boy/youngling who would be trying to measure up to the male/mech adults around him. Awesomely thoughtful and well written piece. Thank you for the insight and thoughtfulness. A cool drink of water in a parched fanfic world. Prowler2
Silvering chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
Wow, that's really good - I like the "essay" at the end, you point out parts of the first movie that I really didn't like. It's interesting that you note that the Autobots really don't have the moral standing to act the way they're so often portrayed, as some kind of "older brother" guardians of "young" humanity, when it's so clear that they're projecting their own fears. (Seriously, they ruined their planet, wiped out most of their own species... as many wars as humanity's had, and as many years as we've had nukes, we've not managed to screw things up NEARLY that bad. Yet. And they think they can lecture us about responsible use of deadly weaponry?) One thing is, I really doubt that the people producing the movies have thought things through as thoroughly as you, especially in light of the way they dialed the offensive supposed-to-be-funny stuff up to eleven in the sequel. But I'm glad your story has Simmons encouraging Bumblebee to stay in the game to protect Sam, because it's acknowledging that as much as we'd like to be all moral and civilized all the time, there are times when you have to make moral tradeoffs, and different virtues can be mutually exclusive. (Your story about Ratchet's pacifism really captures that well!)
shantastic chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
Wow. Let me say that this is one of the first fics I have read that deals with Bumblebee in a truly honest and reasonable portrayal of how he might have dealt with the aftermath of the first movie (IMO at least). I really enjoyed the dialogue and the concept for the piece.

But I *loved* the essay! I detested Simmons throughout the movie (ally or not) and actually lost some enjoyment of the movie itself due to how he interacted with Mikaela in the car. I forgave Mikaela for making him strip as part of his "punishment"... the way he treated her was as a sexual object, so she "returned the favor." But I agree completely with the other reviewer who commented that having 'Bee "lubricate" Simmons was not in character for 'Bee as established in the movie to that point. It was nice to see you pick up that idea and run with it.

I agree that Prime was weak and poorly used in the movie. So many many things about him in the movie drove me nuts that I complained about it for a week.

Thanks for a thoughtful and enjoyable read!
Uniasus chapter 1 . 2/17/2010
Wow. I have to say your essay is what really made this story. You should submit it to one of those pop culture and philosophy books.
Artemis1000 chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
Wow! Another very deep story of yours. I love the characterisation of Bumblebee and Simmons and their twisted relationship.

You really write them both awesomely well. Actually, you made me care for the first time about Simmons as a fascinating three-dimensional character to read about. He really didn't arouse my interest when I watched the movie, but you put him pretty high on my awesome list.

I find it interesting that Simmons insists this isn't a date while insinuating that Bee thinks it's one and keeps calling Bumblebee "sweetheart" and "butterfly" - while of course meant as mockery, I think he's very aware of the double meaning and uses these words on purpose, after all he proved with Mikaela that he will use sexuality to intimidate and humiliate. At the same time, refusing to use his name helps to keep Bee "just a thing" in his mind. It seems to me a bit like he means to humiliate or at least anger Bumblebee further with these names, however this fails due to cultural differences. Or maybe now I'm overanalyzing, it just struck me as very odd that he'd keep calling Bumblebee these "pet names", especially since, if I'm not mistaken, the only time he uses Bumblebee's real name is right before his parting words, which is also the first time since their very first conversation that he's frank with Bee.

Um, yeah, back to other stuff. It amuses my inner cynic that they both seem obsessed with another in an odd way, like they're both the other's shadow and just can't get away. Simmons is the obvious "stalkerish" one, but Bee keeps going back. It's destructive, it tears open all these old wounds time and again, yet he just can't stay away. And it's not just as a favor to Prime, I don't buy that, though he might tell himself that to recharge easier. They really are both playing that game and both enjoying it, in a twisted way... or well, not enjoying it, but maybe taking some subconscious comfort in the knowledge that there is someone out there just as messed up as yourself.

And now that I've babbled enough to do Bluestreak proud, I'm finally shutting up *grins*
yrolg123456789 chapter 1 . 8/3/2009
I really liked this fic, it made me think a lot more than your average fic does (even if it was because I couldn't understand what was going on half of the time...) and that's what I like about it.

Perhaps I read wrong (despite the fact that I did take the time to read your notes to help me understand things better) but when Simmons talks about a "game", is that the fact that Bumblebee is fighting in the Cybertronian war because he essentially "enjoys" it? If I have read right, then I'm not sure if I agree.

Anyway, great fic! Nice work~
Matt Quinn chapter 1 . 7/20/2009
So it seems I'm not the only one who thought Simmons was behaving creepily towards Mikaela.
Jessie07 chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
Great story! I really liked it. You made some good points in your essay but you really shouldn't overanalyze a movie that was meant to be entertainment. It's good to think about what you watch but not everything has a hidden meaning. Sometimes an act in a movie is just meant to lighten the mood a little and be comedic to the audience.
Trapped in Reality chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
Wow. You've completely disected that movie. I've never really thought too hard about it like this. Since you seem to understand the movie extremely well, could you answer a question that's been bothering me? Why is it that Frenzy sirvives his head cut off and other abuses, but Jazz died when he cut in half?

Wonderful story and essay.
ArmoredSoul chapter 1 . 5/11/2008
Awesome.

Just-Yeah.

AWESOME.
staringsideways chapter 1 . 4/10/2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt uncomfortable with the lubricating on Simmons scene, especially since it went so at odds with the way Bumblebee had been presented until then and hinted a little towards the 'bots view of humans in general. Contrast it with the human form of revenge, and the differences in 'age' between Bumblebee and Mikaela and it's becomes even creepier since Bumblebee is doing it with full awareness of his actions which linked up with Ironhides dismissive views on humans shows a much colder side to the Transformers.

The humiliation of stripping I put down to Mikaelas age and it being the first thing she could think of to restore some sort of control over the situation; childish, but given her age, understandable.

Anywho, good story, even better essay :)
mdnytryder chapter 1 . 2/27/2008
Wow, this story requires some reflection on the readers' part. I think I need to print it and reread it a couple times. I liked what you did with Simmons. I imagined his character wasn't evil, just enthusiastic. He wasn't important enough for me to dissect his methods and means. But, I knew that Bumblebee wasn't just a young, comic relief character. He is like one of our young soldiers in Iraq, deadly, old beyond his years, giving all to his cause. Sure, he can act the youngster his age makes him appear, but it is not the true character. Very good essay.