Reviews for Just Like Mummy
Makuro767 chapter 1 . 6/23
I get how Severus feel strongly. Years of mental abuse does not lift as easily as physical. Pain of the body you can block but not the pain in your heart. Even now, whenever my mother unintentionally brush me aside, I will snap. Because all these years I kept the secret of my mental torture from her and when the culprit, my stepdad, finally left for good, freedom of emotion is still something I have trouble balancing. When I finally can speak to her and connect, a little rejection was enough to bring out that lonely girl inside of me, screaming not to be ignored and left behind. Unlike Severus though, I kept away from my mother. We were both pressured, our freedom observed and constrained. My mother too have a terrible first marriage. The mind and body torture from my own father is the reason I kept my own pain to myself. She doesn't need more things to worry or so I told myself. We were kept apart by my stepdad to the point I'm scared to speak to her. But a year before her second divorce, I was revealed to be a bipolar. That's when everything came out. By then I was unhinged, lashing out and angry but sad and reaching for help in the wrongest way possible. The only thread to sanity is that I promised to myself to never hurt my mother like our family hurt each other. It is perhaps one of the two reasons I did not turn to substance abuse, social troubles or self injury. The other is God. In all honesty, it takes a lot of practice to pretend talking about our family's flaws like it was someone else's problem. A practice that shouldn't have been there in the first place. In the end, I felt as little as a statue half of my waking moment and break apart only when I'm alone. Now, I'm struggling to feel emotions for someone else like sympathy for another's plight or worry when my mother injure herself like when she trip.

So what I'm trying to say is, your story resonate inside me. Thank you.
MeinNameIstHase chapter 1 . 3/6/2014
Thank you for showing this aspect of Snape's personality.
The runt Duchess chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
oh...my...god. this was heart-wrenching! I feel a HUGE knot in my throat from this...unfortunately, this happens all too often, mothers turning away from their child's pain only to keep their 'boyfriend/husband/anything' with them. This was wonderfully written, and I praise you for that. Keep up the good work! :)
anniekun93 chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
I am actually crying. You are amazing at this, you grasp Severus Snape, you know him. I hope it's not from a personal experience that you link your self to him. If it is, know that you can get help and that there are other that know exactly what you are going through :) I love how you write! You've got your self a new fan :D
BLAHBLAHBLAH92831 chapter 1 . 11/6/2009
You made me cry.

Again. *Shakes fist*
Henry Plantagenet chapter 1 . 9/5/2008
This is such a perceptive description of Severus! Beautifully written!
Lily Elizabeth Snape chapter 1 . 1/15/2008
You are brilliant at angst! This was perfect. The last lines you give to pieces are priceless.
Fenikkusu Ai chapter 1 . 8/11/2005
A very sad, but very informative fic. It explains the way Snape is now. Fantastic!
tsaile chapter 1 . 7/4/2005
A sad story that goes a long way to explain the man that Snape became. Please keep writing! I love your work.
Taintless chapter 1 . 1/25/2005
Brilliant, completly and utterly brillant.
Tamoral chapter 1 . 1/2/2005
Poignant and bittersweet.

I enjoyed this.
athelas chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
**hugs sevvi-kins**

**sev tries to strangle athelas**

**sev succedes**

**HLB gets to clean up mess**
BatWings08 chapter 1 . 9/1/2003
That was great, you must really understand the emotions of a mentally scarred person and how their minds work.
ladydaydreamer chapter 1 . 12/11/2002
Wow...

There's so much I want to say about this fic, but I don't know where to start. Well, I'll try...

I found this fic very deep and insightful as to at least part of the reason why Prof. Snape acts the way he does. I think it is very possible that he was the victim of child abuse,(although we can't be sure if this was the case until Ms. Rowling decides to reveal more of his background).

Abuse or no, I still feel sorry for whatever he experienced that made him the way he is. I also appreciate the way you wrote him, because I agree that there's more to him than the mean, disagreeable professor most people thinks he is. I hope that he does open up to someone eventually, because he deserves better than to wallow in bitterness and pain for the rest of his life.

Thanks for reading.

-D.
Tarawyn chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
Did I mention I love your writing yet? Okay, okay, I must have a million times...this is a million and one.

Snape, as is evident, is layered. Everyone is layered. Some just have fewer layers, or the layering is not obvious. Snape is layered, but his layers are ones that can't be read.

Abuse in Snape is likely. Not likely in our other target, Malfoy is not and most likely never will be victim to abuse. But I think Severus is strong, and deserves respect, not pity. Strong as Albus, going through the millions of things and still keeping himself there, alive, understanding. Strong as Harry, who really has learned to accept what's to come and not fear it. Strong as Remus, who had his entire life knocked apart but survived, and because of it giving it a chance to rebuild. I like respecting him, not pitying him. And the way you've written this allows both.

Wonderfully done.