Reviews for Tide of Destiny Part One: Choices
Nee88 chapter 24 . 10/19/2008
I have to admit i might have had slight doubts when i read the synopsis for this story, wondering what could possibly be written about Eomer and Lothiriel's childhoods, and how it could be made a romance during that period. Having read it now I am more than impressed and pretty much completely in love with this story. Please update soon!
Queen Grapefruit chapter 24 . 10/19/2008
Oh wow, this is such a wonderful story, I love how you told the two stories separately but at the same time as well. It was so cool to watch how they grew and changed together, I can't wait until they finally meet!
hazeleyes55 chapter 24 . 10/19/2008
I cannot wait for the next chap!please update soon...it's getting interesting now.
SilverWinter18 chapter 24 . 10/18/2008
Lol! That last bit was funny...Excellent imagery!

Oh I can't wait for them to meet! I know that I say this in every chapter, but I'm so excited!
Medea Smyke chapter 24 . 10/17/2008
Hehehe! I can't wait till Eomer meets Imrahil's unfortunate and elderly daughter. His jaw better be ready for a long drop. Actually, it'll be a little bit strange when their storylines merge together but it sounds like it's coming soon!

Very nice chapter. I was laughing out loud quite a bit.
Lady M28 chapter 24 . 10/17/2008
That was a very good fake out! Managing to slip Lothíriel in & out of Minas Tirith before not only Éomer was back, but it would seem also Gandalf, Imrahil & Faramir. It would seem that Galadriel really did not think that she should meet ‘Rohan’ till the appointed hour!

Two small things before I get to most of the review:

1) I think the reference - ‘private hell’ might not be appropriate. That’s a Greek/Judeo-Christian metaphor, with a specific history relating to the religions of those traditions, none of which exist within Middle Earth. It might have been better to use ‘private prison’ or perhaps ‘private Mordor’ to illustrate that point.

2) I don’t think hibiscus would be used at a reception/dinner which took place after dark. Hibiscus bloom almost year round where I live, and are extremely common, but no matter the artificial lighting they begin to close as soon as the sun begins to set. So her arrangements would be ruined an hour or so in.

Now onto the rest of my thoughts. To tell you how much I loved the scene with Amroth, Lothíriel & Oríon is probably not possible. I wanted Éomer to see her just like that, he would be done right there! To see her like that is just a joy. I really liked how you put what had happened to her, not just that she was pursued for her beauty, which was how Imrahil saw it, but that her innocence had been stolen when she was forced to think of herself as the object of a man’s desire, and in a sexual sense, when she was only nine. Which distorted all of her dealings with the opposite sex with whom she wasn’t familiar, and made her uncomfortable in her own skin, which is what she has to regain. I really did love how you dealt with this, the whole thing is somewhat Freudian, is it not? Both the sexual trauma, repression & therapeutic type solution.

I also loved the short scene of her running up to her father. There was something so free & child like about it, in so many ways the freeing of the person she had pushed out of her after having met Umar. It wasn’t long, but it said a lot.

The Calaerdis development was quite interesting I have to say. Very French or Venetian Renaissance. I know it wasn’t explain, but I do have to wonder why neither of them seem to have any desire to marry? With how his family seems to have accepted her it wouldn’t seem out of line. One thing I liked best there was actually Lothiriel turning to her for fashion advice. It said, to me, she’s regained some of her confidence. But I like that she still doesn’t want to be like the girls that she hadn’t liked to begin with from Minas Tirith. But that instead she wants to find her own path. Not only do I think that will be very attractive to Éomer, but again, it says a lot about her confidence in herself, since by not looking like them she will naturally stand out.

Her prying for information about Éomer was very cute, and gave me a good giggle. I’m a little uneasy about her thoughts, I think it might could have been written for a bit more nervousness, rather than pushing herself? Perhaps a ‘would she be ready’ type of feeling rather than ‘I must be ready,’ with her perhaps even surprising herself?

I did notice that Seron isn’t listed in the OCs at the end of the chapter, lending more weight to him actually being Gandalf, not just some ‘soothsayer’ as Faramir said. There’s still quite a bit of time for him to make it back to Edoras for their wedding or something along those lines, maybe it shall happen.

As for the Edoras parts, I did love them. The Merry part was perfect, and actually said quite a lot in a short scene. Since we know their relationship is one of true friendship through the years, and it seems to be known that Merry visited, probably with Pippin rather often. I’ve wondered at times what Éomer or Aragorn or Faramir’s reactions would be when they received their respective letters from Merry, Frodo & Pippin about the events in The Shire while they were gone, and Merry’s delight when getting his horn just reminded me of that. I loved that little scene, and Merry’s reaction, and Éomer’s warmth. Also, Aragorn’s entrusting him to care for Arwen was rather lovely. I like scenes like these two, where not a lot has to be said, but so much really is, or they tell a lot both with and without words. Nicely done.

I forgot to mention that I had wondered if the two fair haired Elf lords were Celeborn & Glorfindel, that’s who I thought they were when I read the prior chapter. I’m going to keep that assumption now and presume I was right. And with that I loved the way you tied in the horses as Éomer’s frame of reference. It just seems so appropriate, and I had to chuckle at how Shadowfax, a product of the Mark wasn’t exactly a stepchild in relation to the finest of the elven horses, Asfaloth. It’s not that we don’t know that already, Legolas’s initial reaction to Shadowfax tells us that, but it was a nice illustration, and quite appropriate. And his encounter with Galadriel was great. The final bit of that section, his talk with Arwen, though not detailed was a lovely touch.

I loved that you included Éomer bonding with Faramir! That was great. I loved seeing their mutual appreciation, and ease with one another. Both have so recently lost so much of their close male family, I felt some of that was being soothed by this nascent relationship. I think it said a lot about how Éomer already feels toward Faramir that he would trust that he might really have the woman for him. Not that I don’t think Faramir would inspire that sort of trust, he would, but I just felt it said a great deal. I did rather relish Faramir’s assertion that Éomer hasn’t met the best Gondor has to offer! Ha!

I will say I almost expected a recoiling from Faramir with the Denethor reference from Imrahil. This is relatively soon after Denethor’s death. But other than that the scene between them was quite interesting. Faramir remembering, Imrahil’s obvious hope for Lothíriel, even while worrying.

All in all, great job! Can’t wait to see what’s coming next. (and good grief this is long!)
Willow-41z chapter 24 . 10/17/2008
I really liked this chapter! All the characterization was very enjoyable and it made me laugh a couple of times. How nice to see everyone (mostly) happy for a change.
annna chapter 24 . 10/17/2008
Oh, I love your story! and that chapter was marvellous - especially the scene in the end... ;- hopefully Eomer & Lothiriel will finally meet in the next chapter? I'm looking forward to reading more!
SheWhoWeeps chapter 24 . 10/16/2008
LOVE IT! D
Anne Rose chapter 24 . 10/16/2008
LOL, tell the poor girl about him! Silly people! She's going to marry a golden king after all. ;-) Imrahil is just adorable in this, btw. He's so caring and loving toward his daughter.
Sarry chapter 24 . 10/16/2008
yet again another amazing chapter! keep going
kateydidnt chapter 24 . 10/16/2008
*bangs head* Will they ever connect that old soothsayer with Gandalf? Will Lothiriel ever meet Gandalf again? He has not sailed yet, and I do not think it is too far fetched for him to return at some point south, though Elrond, Galadriel and the rest will not.

You tantalize with your weaving plotline and near misses-excellent writing. I look forward to more.
Soccer-Bitch chapter 24 . 10/16/2008
amazing chapter! i loved it!

can't wait for the next one!

have a great rest of the week and a super weekend!
CalmOne chapter 23 . 10/13/2008
Update soon please. Love your story please continue.
Taim1 chapter 23 . 10/7/2008
Hooray! Finally happiness for Lothiriel!
474 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »