Reviews for Bloodbender
overlycritical chapter 1 . 4/30
Aw...the 'tomorrow I'll teach you' line broke my heart.

I saw the puppetmaster about halfway through on tv one day and I was shocked. I mean, I still like avatar, but it was TOTALLY the darkest episode ever! We needed some Momo humor! And then, I thought, maybe this super dark episode could spawn some kick-butt fanfictions. This is one of those. Well done.
cbc123754 chapter 1 . 11/5/2013
nice story. as a kataang fan too, i imagined it would of ended very similar
BenignViewer chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
"Once she started, unlike before, she simply couldn't stop. It was as though her body was trying to purge her of what her mind simply could not forget, as though she was trying to somehow purify herself after feeling so dirty.

And the irony was, she still felt dirty."

This is not irony. It is something very easy to get wrong, and something that even fewer get right. What this is just emotional turmoil, leading to physical illness. There is nothing inherently ironic about the physical activity failing to solve the emotional problems. The technique displayed, if I had to define it, could probably be called a didactic juxtapostion of [Katara's] physical and emotional pain.

Irony is: "A. . . perception of inconsistency, [usually but not always humorous], in which an apparently straightforward statement or event is undermined by its context so as to give it a very different significance. . . [V]erbal irony. . . involves a discrepancy between what is said and what is really meant. . . .[S]tructural irony. . . involves the use of a naive or deluded hero or unreliable narrator whose view of the world differs widely from the true circumstances recognized by the author and readers. . . . [In] dramatic irony. . . the audience knows more about a character's situation than a character does foreseeing an outcome contrary to a character's expectations, and thus ascribing a sharply different sense to the character's own statements".

For the situation to be ironic Katara's efforts would have to make herself dirtier, or dirty in a different sense to what she was. For example if she got dirt or bile on herself then it would be:

"And the irony was, the attempt had only made gotten her clothes dirty, too."

This is ironic because the action of hurling has a different result to what was intended, which alters the context of how Katara percieves herself and is percieved as being 'dirty' by the audience.
_

I hope this has helped P. Other than that one slip up, the story is fantastic, a very touching and provoking character study, which breaks Katara down most eloquently as she struggles to reconcile her image of herself with the action of bloodbending. Aang's brand of comfort was also very touching, and so very Aang. )

Sorry for the 'irony' rant above - detail is a pet peeve of mine, and it's in reality only a small one and takes nothing away from the story you've written, despite how much I've written about it XD.

All the best;
BenignViewer
the.striped.one chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
This was really well done. I was a bit disappointed that blood bending (and the horror it brought on Katara) never got mentioned again in the series, so to see your take on the aftermath of the episode was really great.

I like~
Ganheim chapter 1 . 5/25/2010
Aang, how do I become a Waterbender again?"

"I'll teach you tomorrow,"

[Simple, but felt very true to the characters]

Excellent job. Not too heavy on any of the themes it touches, nor too light for the aftermath of learning about one of the monstrous powers that humanity seems to love discovering.
NorthernLights94 chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
I was looking for a story like this, you did it perfectly. It might be old by since the movie will be coming out I was refreshing my memory. I think it is the darkest one ever to be made. This was a masterpiece! Job well done.
Sparrow Logan chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
I pictured something like this happening after The Puppetmaster. She was crying at the end and then the next episode she's back to normal. Like nothing ever happened. I always wondered what happened, and this was amazing.
LinkinParkFan15 chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
*gasps* bloodbending?wow. but good on how aang comforted her!
Kelev chapter 1 . 12/1/2008
I just love this so much. Aang and Katara are very much in character here, and your writing style made the entire thing come alive. The sutble way you have with words is amazing! Good job!
Servant of K-sama chapter 1 . 11/3/2008
Its the same as Toph bending steel or Azula bending Lightning, a spiritual ability of balance brought to a lethal extreme.
timisnotmyname chapter 1 . 8/30/2008
AWW...

So sweet!

Yay 4 Kataang fluff!

yeah, and i agree, The Puppetmaster is one of the darkest episodes...

but its so cool! its still 1 of my fav eps!

even if i feel really sorry 4 Katara.
ACEo'SPADES chapter 1 . 3/19/2008
waow. really good, honestly! Nice bit of Kataang, and good description. Moving.

Fave'd!
I Took The 405 chapter 1 . 1/24/2008
Great Story!
Amalia Autumn chapter 1 . 12/8/2007
This is so very emotional and so powerful, I enjoyed reading it, because Aang was so Aang and Katara was so Katara. I know, I don't make any sense, but I loved it!
Shizuka no Taisho chapter 1 . 11/29/2007
haha, once she starts bloodbending, I don't think Katara will ever be able to stop...its a part of who she is now! I feel bad for her and all, but I agreed with Hama; Katara had to learn bloodbending, for the sake of their race