Reviews for Of Victories and Losses
Pie for President '16 chapter 1 . 9/5/2011
I really enjoyed this, it's nice to get an insight to Neville and Ginny's friendship. I'm like you, I ship Ginny with Neville more than I ship her with Harry.
billys-green-soup chapter 1 . 10/27/2010
dagnabit i've been stricken to write a response to this. is that ok with you?
OrangeR0se chapter 1 . 3/7/2008
Oh, sweet ONESHOT, though I wish you would have included his reply...
NickyFox13 chapter 1 . 2/12/2008
Although my favorite character is Neville in the series, I don't read much fanfiction about him and I don't really ship Ginny with Neville. So I was a bit hesitant to go on and read this as I don't read mush NL/GW stories.

...But wow. This was amazing. Ginny was portrayed beautifully and actually is likeable. Many peopel on fanfiction dot net hate her and would take any moment to bash her.

Amazing piece! Thank you for publishing this piece.
sunny tuesday chapter 1 . 2/10/2008
Well done.

s.t.
Sandshrew777 chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
You know, I'm not a real Neville/Ginny kind of guy, but since I've just written one myself I found myself wanting to read this and see what somebody else has done.

It's refreshing to hear a Ginny that's both youthful and ponderous all at once. The form of a letter allows for that reflective tone while also giving the sense that the speaker wants to speak colloquially, and I think you succeeded here in Ginny's overall tone. It seems like they've had something together, a backstory, a past, and I don't need it spelled out for me. I really enjoy that.

There are some minor spelling mistakes here and there ("dieing", "you fingers"), early, that took me out of the story, but I travailed and got to the meat of it. Ginny seemed to be dancing around the meat of it herself, as I was as a reader, until we both admitted that there was something we came to here to read (or, in her case, to write, to convey), and once that happened, it all came together.

Particularly lost on me was this line: "Yes, I did just write ‘graduating’." I searched and searched for that word and couldn't find it. My eyes are tired from a long day, though, so I may have missed it, but I couldn't find the reference and so the nice thought of that paragraph fell a bit short of the mark.

I love the opening and closing lines, and that Ginny focuses on happiness above all. It reminds me a bit of Janie from Their Eyes Were Watching God, if you're familiar with the novel, and that, in ways, Harry is Tea Cake. :)

I think the ending is strong but disconnected. If anything is particularly weak, it's connecting. Although Ginny's allowed to wander a bit, you have to rein her in and make sure she follows the literary tradition of using transitional phrases and thoughts. We have to be able to follow her, and I'm not getting that.

Still, the ideas and thoughts Ginny has are characterized excellently, particularly poignant, and delightfully wrought. You have a craft for voice that I hope you do not lose as you continue to write.

Great work!

Keep writing.
hondagirl chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
LOVED it. And I don't see this as a G/N ship story more as a friendship story. I like the whole, "you've never smiled" deal. And the last paragraph killed me. Its funny but Neville was the only character that my opinion of him was totally changed from the first book to the seventh one. His strength and bravery. I like how you had Ginny explain that to him. Once more very good story

-hondagirl
ShadowMoonDancer chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
Interesting little story, Neville gets left out sometimes
Heart4Happiness chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
This is so sweet and beautiful!

Though I think Ginny would stay for her N.E. . But I guess that's just my opinion. :)
UchihaMorwen chapter 1 . 2/2/2008
I enjoyed this. I think that there probably was more to Neville and Ginny's friendship than we ever really see. They went to the Yule Ball together, and it was two years before Harry really started to notice Ginny. A lot can happen in two years. I think you did well at capturing a bittersweet friendship.
mackgirl chapter 1 . 2/2/2008
This was so sweet I loved it. Great job.
dancingcarrot21 chapter 1 . 2/1/2008
Beautiful. I'm a Neville/Ginny fan myself, so I love how you portrayed this.

There are so many lines in this that I can't choose just one to favorite! I love how you portray Ginny trying to cheer up Neville, and how there's subtlety between their relationship, and how she sort of knows that he would make her happy. Even if she chose Harry. I also love how you insert that Ginny knows they bring out the best in each other, and how even with the hardship they've faced, the minor victories (as well as the major ones) are worth celebrating.

But I also enjoyed how you mentioned they never really had a childhood. Which is true. Every one of these characters was robbed from one.

I just love this so much. It reminds me somewhat of Severus/Lily. ;)

Faves.
ProperT chapter 1 . 1/15/2008
Wow... deep but still light, you know? Good One Shot. Wish I could've seen Nev's reply... and I liked that Ginny seemed very realistoc about things. I read a lot of stuff where Ginny is naive, and I'm already not a Ginny fan so those stories don't help her much, lol. :)
Anomalous Anonymous chapter 1 . 1/5/2008
Nice...

Actually, I thought I would hate this, since I don't really like Ginny/Neville, but this...was fantastic.

Just one complaint, and it's a nitpicky thing; did you know that the 'ing' form of 'dying' is spelt 'dying', not 'dieing'? Just letting you know! :)
stella8h8chang chapter 1 . 1/4/2008
In book seven, I cried so hard when Neville grabbed the sword and smote Nagini. Thank you for writing such a lovely letter, which isn't just from Ginny, but from all of us who love Neville so much.