Reviews for Child of War
misi-chan chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
...speachless...wow.
lochrann chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
Wow...just...wow. I know that's an increadibly cheesy thing to say but it's genuinely how I feel. I have to say that the story has practcally nothing to do with One Piece and only vaguely to do with its characters but that in no way makes it any less amazing! I've learnt a lot about the two world wars from books and history lessons and from the european side I also have a very personal impression of what the time must have been like through accounts from family and witnesses and visiting the respective sites. It is an intense expirience and even though I am a positive person and hope we in our generation do not have to confront ourselves with similar situations (obviously and unfortunately to no avail looking at all the various wars still raging) but I think to avoid this in future we have to look back and realise what the consequences of our actions were and learn from past mistakes... to get to the point I was trying to make, I have never read or seen anything that in anyway gave me such an insight into the amarican psychy and perseption of war in so little words. Thanks a million for that.
onepiecefreec chapter 1 . 7/21/2009
Wow, that was quite amazing. It had lots of depth to it and since it was from Zoro's pov I liked it even

Great job!
Hydra-Star chapter 1 . 11/15/2008
This is fantastic. I'm not normally fond of AUs, but I think I'll have to make an exception. It's got a very dream like feel to it. I am suitably impressed.
Oni Giri Slash chapter 1 . 1/22/2008
This story is just incredible. A wonderful blend of the One Piece characters and the horrific reality of war. Usopp's and Sanji's backgrounds, diferrences, etc. was wonderfully and historically accurate.

The saddest part being in this story was them (the Mugiwara as children) having to grow up in the life that they did and then having to fight in WWII. But the ending was beutiful.

Thanks for writing such an amazing story.

Oni Giri Slash

PS. The yellow eyes...was there teacher Mi Hawk! -
Ai Tennshi chapter 1 . 1/19/2008
Nehszriah... You have struck an all-time top with this one. Your humor's great, but this-this almost made me cry.

I read about wars, my grandmother tells me about what it was like to be a blonde, blue-eyed Christian growing up in Germany under Hitler, my grandfather tells me what it was like to be a boy abandoned by his father and with a mother with cancer during the Great Depression... And this story just took everything that they try to tell me, wrap it up into a bundle with barely any padding to soften the blow, and throws it into your heart.

If I could see you, I would bow. (Japanese style, not you-are-a-god-and-I-devote-myself-to-you style. Just thought I'd clear that up. XD)

Thank you for this story. It really warmed my heart.
The Shine Queen chapter 1 . 12/24/2007
That was a hellified piece of work. I am so impressed. I could hear him in my head. this was a mean soliliquy. I was engrossed form beginning to end. Damn fine piece of work.

One of the best I have ever read, and I've read some fierce ones.

Thank you.
cherrichik chapter 1 . 11/17/2007
loved it, that's all i have to say. i hope mr bush gets the idea as quickly as we did.

-cherrichik
MalkyTop chapter 1 . 11/12/2007
Wow. This was really, like insanely good. It shows a lot of insight...though I probably didn't understand most of it.

I can't really say much, but yeah. It's really good.
KurrydaJellydonut chapter 1 . 11/12/2007
fantastic story! especially the WW2 part...I had some relatives who died during "the war"

anyway...this is the first AU i actually finished...keep up the good work! (thumbs up)
selle18 chapter 1 . 11/11/2007
I think what makes this a particularly outstanding piece is just how well you picked out the more serious (poverty, orphanhood) and larger, underlying themes (war, revolution) of One Piece and paralleled and assimilated them with a dark (when wasn't there one?) period of American history. I especially love how you not only managed to incorporate the political upheaval of the time, but the racial one as well. I'm talking about, of course, Usopp being Black and Sanji's immediate European background.

You also cleverly matched character skills/talents/interests with elements of the Depression/WWII period (such as Franky and the WPA, Sanji and Marines' kitchen, Usopp and electronics, and Robin and books) as well as known backgrounds of minor and major characters with social and political standings (for example, Luffy's dad and the Russian Revolution).

And the Mugiwara crew a pack of rowdy, poor, trouble-making students? Too cute. Not that it was written with the goal of 'cute', I'm sure. Looking back, it's cute. But in a sad way, which is how I felt while reading it. And even sadder when their childhood (protected to some extent by Robin and her sanctuary as well as a healthy dose of naivete) turns into an adulthood of limited freedoms and full-blown war. But it was nice to see them reunite and to watch Zoro's mind at work as he comes to his own terms with war and life.

And everything was brilliantly tied together by Zoro's birthday and it's coinciding with this national holiday.

The one thing that bothered be throughout was the use of 'you'. It is clear that Zoro is narrating, yet he simultaneously refers to himself and the reader as 'you'. I don't think anything would be lost by changing all the 'you's into first person pronouns (I, me, we, us). Using 'you' makes it really personal for the reader, oftentimes making this piece feel less about the war and Zoro and more about the war and us.

That aside, I really enjoyed reading a serious, intelligent One Piece fanfiction with so much creativity and style. Many, many props to you and your nerdy stash of history textbooks. :)
kilnorc chapter 1 . 11/11/2007
...wow...you wrote all this because you read my Fawke's fanfic? -scratches cheek- i gotta say, I didn't see this comin' at all...but it was pretty good!
Sacred Sakura chapter 1 . 11/11/2007
Too much good material to quote here. :D

Why "Zelda"? Never got how that translates into "Nami"... Harlem and Yasopp? Bolsheviks, Lenin, and Dragon? Good stuff... Ace flirting with Kuina... Now THAT's a sight to see. Librarian Robin is so fitting it's kinda scary... Franky as her boyfriend is simply hilarious...and so's working in the WPA. Zoro may know how to get to places on a map, but he'd get lost in real life...

"You know you’re going to have to get her back for hittin’ you; maybe in the backroom later on would do, provided Franky and Miss Robin aren’t usin’ it already." (*speechless*)

Crab superior I'm guessing is Smoker? Heehee.

"A war is just children fist-fightin’ on a larger scale." Totally. Gosh, AP US History is a godsend. I know what you're talking about, so no worries!

AWESOME CHAPTER! :D