Reviews for The Hint of a Spark
Guest chapter 1 . 4/4/2014
I like it. You did a good job of telling the story through Elle's screwed up head. The only change I would make would be updating Elle's parentage.
illuminazione chapter 1 . 4/29/2012
A wonderful journey into the mind of a complex character. I think it is difficult to make sense of Elle, because she is so obviously messed-up, but also very pure and childlike.

You did an amazing job!

P.S. I love how she calls him 'Pretty Peter Plaything'
MariShal chapter 1 . 4/18/2009
Very nice, that episode was fantastic! Too bad they didn't develop more of Elle & Peter, even if it was friendship.
jane-eliza chapter 1 . 8/4/2008
that was just… wonderful. it's got 'elle' written all over it. you've captured her so brilliantly. (:
I Am The Prince of Wales chapter 1 . 7/8/2008
Yeah, I really love how you write this relationship... which is to say, I love how you write Elle's feeling towards Peter, since you use her POV and she's hardly the most reliable of narrators. Elle is an extremely complex character, and I think a lot of writers tend to play one element above the others, but you consistently portray Elle with the depth and complexity, which is a feat in itself. (And serious, the whole "bear" analogy? Beautiful!)
emptyword chapter 1 . 1/1/2008
This is really, really perceptive. You dig right into Elle's mind here and pull out each strand of her wandering thoughts throughout that episode. Interesting choice, that Bob isn't her biological parent after all.

I love the section where he's starting to "like it," even while denying it the whole time. You know, I had to watch that bit in the episode quite a few times before I started to understand. Like it? Up your dose? I was admittedly confused. There had to be something there other than simply a sadistic lightning thing. And then:

‘I know you want this. I know it’s all you think about.’

It clicked for me. Peter's always sort of been a masochist, arguably. He likes feeling guilty, likes feeling pain. And Elle can certainly provide that for him in abundant measure.

And of course, her voice. I could hear Elle the entire way through. Pretty Peter plaything, wants him, wants him, etc. The alliteration, repetition, the childish stream-of-consciousness - it screams of someone like Elle. Really wonderful job.

And Peter does sort of set himself up to be a toy, doesn't he?
starrydarlings chapter 1 . 12/17/2007
Great characterization!

I feel that this is really how Elle is mentally. A sociopath with a mind of a child, in a sense, just because she was never given a chance to actually grow up normally.

Oh, but despite all this, I love Elle to pieces. She's such an interesting character and I applaud you for doing such a good job.
SG1SamFan chapter 1 . 12/4/2007
Oh, I love it! So very in-character for Elle. I loved the comparison between that blue bear she wanted so much and her "Pretty Peter Plaything" with the softest fur (lol). She's a heartbreakingly dangerous character. She's a child because she's never been allowed to grow up, because her whole childhood was stolen from her and then erased from her mind. A child with more power than most adults, and her morals burnt away.

Another excellent story from you! Thanks!

trevor19 chapter 1 . 11/25/2007
What a fantastic story... loved it!
Catslove17 chapter 1 . 11/22/2007
Wow. This is awesome. Really really awesome.
michellio chapter 1 . 11/17/2007
Wow, that was so great!

I think you captured Elle perfectly!
ThisIsRealThisIsMe chapter 1 . 11/16/2007
That was awesome! Loved it!
Nina chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
Wow. As far as I'm concerned, this is canon. Great job!
krystiryou2 chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
I love you. D;

No, really. The characterisation in this reflected my mental image of Elle exactly. Even though you only used quotes from the episode, your narration made it come alive.

The story about the bear that she wanted completely fits. I can so imagine her thinking that while petting him during the episode.
Jennifer Campbell chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
Very nice. I love that you've made Elle so childlike. The language you used works well - thinking of Peter as a plaything, comparing him to a teddy bear. This is great characterization.