Reviews for Un Détenu de Grande Fortune
Alice Wright chapter 1 . 11/5/2009
I like it! Your descriptions, especially of the graveyard, are excellent. The line "They waved their black, naked limbs recklessly, threatening to double over and crash upon any creature that was unfortunate enough to find themselves in one of their shadows" especially caught my attention through its use of both description and threatening action. Well done!

The tension in the piece is also really nice. The mystery of not knowing who or what the woman is (though I think by now I have a pretty good idea...) and wondering whether Jean is going to be caught by his family (and the police for that matter) for stealing the pumpkin bread and aiding an escaped convict. I also liked the way Jean felt he was being accused of stealing by all those inanimate objects-and cows. Your characters are well developed, even the "old hag" who is arguably the antagonist of this chapter.

All in all, I can find nothing to critique.

That being said, this is certainly an excellent story. I can't wait to read the next chapter! And possibly see Mouseir l' Inspector?
AmZ chapter 4 . 2/13/2008
Delightful. The chaterring relation was a puzzle - at first I thought it was Vidocq. :)

Not sure why Javert hit him, though... maybe it's because I'm mentally comparing him against the book Javert, who never lifts a finger against anyone.
jeevesthemighty chapter 4 . 2/9/2008
like poor valjean, i am woefully, woefully confused by this and the crazy circumstances that keep occurring, but i trust you, so i'm going to stick with it.

i that this chappie works a little bit better than the previous one... that is to say, it certainly seems a bit more plausible, if a bit odd. if that makes sense.

there were also many lovely quotable lines that made me happy inside... nice crafting. for example: "Dandy? Surely this fellow was not referring to Javert."

all in all, nice job with this chappie.

regards, jeeves
LesMisLoony chapter 4 . 2/9/2008
HUGS!

"This time it was my voice that went hard."

Okay, I read that with a stress on "voice" instead of "my," and the result was a major WTF? moment.

Other than that, I am very ~intrigued~ by this thus far, as before. A lot of it came off as borderline amusing, and, for the first time, I totally dig Valjean/Javert. I was so excited to see an update, too!
AmZ chapter 3 . 12/3/2007
What an odd, odd, disturbing amalgam of the two works. Not sure there's not *too* much of "Great Expectation" and too little of the Brick, though. I mean, of all the things a guard might want a grown convict for - to "play"? Doesn't really transfer well from kids to grown men. And the whole broken heart thing... I mean, the possibilities are endless! It's the year 1800 or so; Richelieu might well be a wealthy emigre forced off his lands; there might be some reason for them to think they can secure a "mouton" in Valjean - a spy on his chainmates. Perhaps there's a revolt brewing in the barracks or something... there might be any number of legit reasons why a somewhat out-of-his-mind prison official might try to foster a friendship between a lonely, gloomy convict and a handsome young guard. But there's just too much of the original Dickens in all this. The characters and the dialogue seems almost unchanged...

I'd try to work more on adapting the situation of GE to the circumstances of LM as opposed to an out-and-out transplant.
jeevesthemighty chapter 3 . 11/30/2007
"He reeks of guilt and perspiration!"

wonderful line there.

how i love cruel, proud, intelligent, handsome javert... haha. yep. valjean has a crush.

i've never read great expectations either, so i must confess to being woefully confused as well... oh well, it will get better. but this is lovely. and i also find the security check annoying.

regards,

jeeves (the same one as before with a new name).
LesMisLoony chapter 3 . 11/30/2007
“Mon Dieu, what did they do to him?”

Well... they made him play cards. And Javert told him he had manhands.

Seriously, though, I really enjoyed this chapter! It was kind of lulz-worthy and awkward at the same time. Hahaha Javert/Valjean FTW.

My only complaint (besides the new security check for the site) is the use of the phrase "hate his guts." I was so excited about this whole chapter, and then right at the end you got me with a cliche between the eyes. I would have yelled, "No!" but then I would have gotten funny looks from my roommate.

But yeah, all in all, I absolutely loved it. Totally, thoroughly brilliant. And now I am late for class.
LesMisLoony chapter 2 . 11/25/2007
Ooh, it WAS Phantom-y. That was Javert, right? Was Jean Jean checking him out? Um... I don't *think* I've ever read Great Expectations, so I have no idea what to expect, but I'm excited nontheless. How very, um... mysterious! Yes. I'm looking forward to an update!
Kzunten Kidaurqoi chapter 2 . 11/25/2007
This is great-very interesting and well written. I'm still theorizing about who everyone is and how everything fits together, but I can't do that very well on only two chapters! Write more!
AmZ chapter 2 . 11/25/2007
I have to say, the second chapter is a hell of a lot easier on the reader than the first. Maybe it's because I never really liked "Great Expectations"; maybe it's because there seems to be less connecting the first chapter to Les Mis than the second; maybe it's because you introduce Javert in the second chapter - I don't know, but the first chapter seems rushed and rough and not very gripping, whereas the second one is quite the opposite. It seems almost like they are two completely different stories that only got tied together as chapters by accident. Of course, this might change later, but that's how it seems for now.

I'm rather intrigued by this Richelieu - is he going to wear a cardinal's getup a la Miss Havisham? And is Javert his adopted minion? Heh. I can't wait to find out.

Javert is... interesting. With regards to his looks, I can't help but picture Hugh Laurie playing Bertie Wooster in blackface, if you've seen that episode of "Jeeves and Wooster"... slim, oddly dark-skinned, huge glowing blue eyes and an air of poorly suppressed boyishness. LOL. What a cutey. No wonder Valjean is crushin'. (And he totally is. It's obvious. :))
LesMisLoony chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
*drowns in a sea of irony*

I love it, though. For reals. Young Jean fics are fantastic, because they're so very rare. And this is Quite Young Jean, which is even more yay. Hahaha, stealing bread... he should steal bread in every. chapter. And I don't exactly know where it's going, but I'm totally along for the ride.

(Hafta add-I posted the most mind-blowing parts of the Depardieu movie on youtube, all together in one six-minute clip, in case you're wondering what all the snark was about...)