Reviews for Maraverse: Sinking Ships
Guest chapter 1 . 11/29/2002
Sell it to DC & get a petition for a set of movies, animated or not. It'd be one of the best sows out there. (you writing is better than most shows on family channel)
Kathryn Angelle chapter 1 . 2/3/2002
"Alfred, she's crying."

That made me laugh. I laugh a lot over these fics (I cry too, but -honest- it's only because my existence is currently angst-ridden. I'm tough. Really. OK, so I did cry over Toy Story. Some. But not Monsters, Inc.) I love Mara, I love Bats, the english teacher needs kicking (maybe we can put her in a box and mail her to antartica with my old english teacher)
ShyIntrovert chapter 1 . 9/4/2001
Great story. I avoided your Mara stories for a while because I was wary of trying another In the future series. I'm glad I overcame the aversion and read them. They are wonderful. Will YJ beg Mara to come back on bended knee? I'd really love to see that.
Chicago chapter 1 . 9/1/2001
Okay, I normally NEVER review here. EVER. In fact, I usually only wander over to in slow comics weeks when RL is quiet and my usual sources of fic are aren't keeping me well supplied. So a couple weeks ago, I come surfing by and see the "Family Reunion" piece and decide, "Why not? I should give a writer I don't know a chance from time to time."

I am now officialy hooked.

This latest chapter in the ongoing saga of Mara's travails as the latest Robin and an ordinary high school student just leaves me hungry for more. This set of stories does something rare in fanfiction - it moves the Batfamily forward in time without losing the essence of the characters, adding new dimensions to the family that make an ages old saga fresh again. Mara's narration manages to stay perfectly in the mindset of being 16, of suffering through the "conspiracy of adults," of juggling more than anyone could humanly juggle but doing it because that's what 16 year olds do...

I thoroughly enjoy this view of my favorite comics characters through new eyes. Of course heroes provoke from us a certain amount of hero worship, but this nicely brings everyone down a peg, humanizing them. Of course Dick's going to repeat some of Bruce's parenting mistakes, ironically driving home for Bruce some of his own failings. And of course grandparents are going to cut more slack for kids than their parents will. Being Bat doesn't make them all immune from typical family dynamics, and perhaps heightens a lot of the usual issues, makes the stakes higher.

I personally recommend that anyone reading this story take the parts in order - they'll stand alone, but taken together they create a highly compelling and well built story - and universe. There's the right mix of untold backstory, strong characterization, and interpersonal intrigue to sustain dozens more stories, which I sincerely hope the author intends to write.

Guess I'll have to make a more regular stop.
Ghost in the Machine chapter 1 . 9/1/2001
I don't know what Mara is so upset about. She took a very bad situation and handled it well. Not perfectly, but

well enough. Her ship might be sinking, but she made it to the life raft O.K. Not the method of travel she

intended, but she's staying out of the water. On the technical side, I don't recall any typos or syllabobbles.

Good job all the way around.
Facade chapter 1 . 9/1/2001
Just as good as the rest of them. Will there be more?