Reviews for Hozho
Fireman Phil chapter 4 . 12/29/2007
Ditto, again.

I have no idea where this is all headed, but I really am beginning to think this would make an excellent screen play for a "made for TV movie" or a double episode.

I am enjoying you reflections about Sam's experiences with Jess. That's a nice touch and you blend it in so well with the over all relationship between Sam and Dean.

Your description of the attack by the wolf and the resulting injuries to Sam is very good and well balanced. In my opinion, some authors get carried away with beating up on the boys. You didn't. Sam's injuries are severe and we understand they could have been worse. This serves to raise the level of suspense and anxiety at the prospect of future encounters with this beast.

I think by now you should recognize that my interest in reading (at the way I review) has more to do with the action and

progression of the story and less to do with emotional elemnts of the brother to brother relationshiip. I'll leave that to the many female readers. I hope my interest and perspective helps you, too.
Fireman Phil chapter 3 . 12/29/2007
First, I applaud your use of the brief summary/recap from the previous chapter you use before beginning new material. I wish more authors in this forum would do that. I think it really helps focus the reader's attention as he/she begins the new chapter.

I'll just say ditto regarding my previous comments about descriptions, pacing and dialog. It's fun to watch Sam's mind at work methodically assembling pieces of the puzzle and to see Dean's reaction. Dean really needs to respect Sam's talent at deductive reasoning. I love stories where we get to develop an understanding of the lore behind the demon/spirit/adversary. This one really delivers.
Fireman Phil chapter 2 . 12/29/2007
To use a fishing metaphor, if you got us to nibble at the hook in Chapter 1, you really "set the hook" in this chapter.

Your description of physical elements in each scene is excellent, the pace of the story's progression is very good, and the dialog seems so authentic.

What a clever way to describe the mysterious adversary: the follower. That single word conveys so much meaning, and getting to see the situation from his/her/its perspective is a great device for building suspense. It's clear the guys have a real challenge on their hands and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Xdaisy chainX chapter 16 . 12/29/2007
wow this was amazing, i loved it, showdown with the skinwalker surrounded by flames

such a beautiful image

wicked update soon!

Fireman Phil chapter 1 . 12/29/2007
To make a long story short, I completely overlooked this story until my friend Carocali poked me in the ribs and asked why I wasn't reading it. I'm actually up to Chapter 4, but I prefer to reveiew chapter by chapter.

I think this has the potential to be a fantastic story - perhaps even a screen play. You grab our attention by creating a very sympathetic character and then mysteriously kill her off. The setting, the AT, provides a perfect visual backdrop and lots of isolation when required for building tension or spooky happenings. Your description of physical settings and character behavior is absolutely first rate, as is the way you capture dialog.

I am really enthused about reading more, and since I got off to a late start, I won't have to wait for new postings.
carocali chapter 16 . 12/29/2007
I sat here, filled with tension, watching the fires surround them. The black panther stalked from each pile of rocks, slipping in and out, readying to make his move. Oh, so amazing! I wondered how they would make it with little to no ammunition left. The flare gun! And what a great nod back to earlier chapters when Dean soaked the pelt in gasoline for that added luminousity of the fur! And he gets the tortured death he deserves. Fantastic end to Betzgai! I love that each of the brothers were able to contribute to his demise!

These boys have such incredible love for each other - and they would give their lives for each other. LOVED the speech that Deb gave regarding her firefighting friends in regards to the same thing. But Dean didn't think they were quite that close to that reality. He saw Sam standing true as he invoked the words of the Navajo to end Betzgai. But the fear that overtook him as he realized that Sam was no longer at the rock exuded from him. Such powerful writing!

And of course, Jess would be there to meet Sam as he takes his final breath. Setting this story in Season 1 when everything is still so up-in-the-air was a brilliant move. There is so much tension still between the brothers as they each want separate things - especially right after Shadow. Jess is still a very active part of Sam's life (not that she isn't currently, but time heals) and still a big part of what makes him ache at night. So beautiful as her golden locks fall around him.

So what now? Will the brave men and women of the fire brigade get to Sammy in time, or will Dean be left to face this world alone.

Absolutely incredible storytelling!

carocali chapter 9 . 12/28/2007
Another fabulous outing! Good for your son, being able to reenact his Soo Bahk Do moves! I clearly saw everything that Sam was doing - so tell him thank you!

The tension you've built to this point makes me squirm. And such a wonderful touch that the spell-breaker is the man Dean spoke to earlier! Watching Sam come out of the stupor and realizing that he'd made a faux-pas was a lot of fun. Thank God for "Our Town" or he'd never be able to pull it off!

And Rambo on Furby? Oh no you didn't! Too funny!

Amazing stuff!

carocali chapter 7 . 12/28/2007
I'm so gonna be late, but I can't stop reading...

Leave it to Dean to let his emotions out at exactly the wrong time, upping the ante with the skinwalker with the reveal about Sam being his brother! ugh! Gotta love him though!

I had wondered if the bite had done something to Sam with his dizzy spells, etc, but the 'ash' on the rock was the culprit! Beautiful use of 'witchcraft' and 'shamanism.' It's a touchy thing - playing with the Native American culture - but I think the fact that you've condemned his actions makes it flow better (at least in my opinion). I also find it fascinating that he lumps all the hunters into the same din-neh-ih. Awesome.

And I'd be remiss to leave out the absolutely heartbreaking exchange about Sam going back to school. So emotional on both fronts. These boys just kill me, and you write them magnificently!

Gotta run.. more later!

carocali chapter 4 . 12/28/2007
Now it comes out! You ARE a hiker! (keep in mind, I'm WAY behind here. Only Chapter 4!)

As I've been reading, I had to stop and tell you what a fabulous job you're doing! I wish I had all day to sit and read! Your details and descriptions of their clothing and the terminology of hiking is incredible. My thoughts were that you either WERE a hiker (which we've discovered you are) or you did a hell of a lot of research to get it perfect. Probably both, if I were to surmise! There is nothing I like better than an intelligent, well thought out piece, and I've finally found it!

I'm also a sucker for Native American mythology, so I can't wait see what other truths you uncover along the AT!

Can't wait to read more!

Kaewi chapter 16 . 12/28/2007
What a great ending for Betzgai! Action packed. After all that has happened, he deserved to go out with a bang. I'm glad that Deb found out the truth, too. She seems like the type that can handle it.

And now for one of my favourite things: recovery! Although I suppose that means the story is ending soon, which makes me sad.
bb1028 chapter 16 . 12/28/2007
really awesome chapter, sam is definitely at the end of his rope've done such a great job with this so far, i totally love it :) see ya next time ..beth
Scullspeare chapter 16 . 12/27/2007
Another great chapter, LadyVic - even with the evil cliffie. Gr. :)

Excellent pacing and storytelling here; loved the two perspectives approach, with Deb as a great foil.

And you sure are beating the heck out of Sam. Please, um, continue. (Only in the context of fanfic is that request nowhere near as twisted as it appears.)

As always, many thanks and looking forward to the next instalment.

jenilee chapter 16 . 12/27/2007
Amazing chapter.

Loved these beautifully written descriptions they suck you right into the scene.

- "The Beretta lay on the ground midway between them, glittering red and gold as it reflected the flames in back of the big cat."

- " The panther’s legs flexed as it prepared to leap. It was impossible to tell which brother was its intended target. The wind whipped around them, pushing Sam’s damp hair off of his forehead and stoking the fire in back of the skinwalker into a small firestorm."

-"Ash fell eerily through the air as a deep shadow slowly fell over them. The light of the flames replaced the lost sunlight, angry reds and golds flickering across every surface. Heat pulsed from the fire, warming the rocks around Sam and easing the chills that coursed through him."

Loved the end. Sam sounds like he's ready to stay with Jess. His "I'm so tired, Jess" and Dean's demanding he stays. I just really loved that part. It has such a sad and desperate feel, I can't really even describe it.
calcium77 chapter 16 . 12/27/2007
Awesome update! It seems like forever since there was one. I was very happy to come home from a hard day of shopping and see this in my inbox. Deb makes me laugh :-)

I am hoping that you are not really going to let Sam die? You would have warned I will wait until your next update to find out.

Love the story. (I think I have said that before about 15 times, but once more for good measure)

AnickaMarie chapter 16 . 12/27/2007
It doesn't look good when a guy starts to see his dead girlfriend. Nice to know they finally got rid of Betzgai though. Another great chapter. Can't wait for another one.
458 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 .. Last Next »