Reviews for Darkness Always Searches for Light
JY-126 chapter 3 . 5/24/2010
I agree with a previous reviewer-the amount of depth and thought you've put into this one-shot about havoc really does make it seem like Dtb was a work of literature and instead of an anime. I love how you've delved into and extended havoc's character. I thought that the havoc arc in the anime was one of the more poignant and well-written ones, but I had always wished it had delved more into her back-story. You've really brought it to life with this writing. One of my favorite (fictional) parts was where you described how Havoc tried to completely fulfill her renumeration by binging on blood. Powerful. (her blood-swollen belly compared to pregnancy-ironic and vivid, I like it!)

I also liked the small reference to the heterochromatic contractor boy who hangs out with Amber (and his milk-drinking remuneration). I always did find it intriguing how some contractors had to practice self-mutilation while others hummed songs.

Unfortunately I don't remember that short scene between Misaki and April that you placed at the end of this one-shot. But all in all, I enjoyed reading this!
La Romanesque chapter 3 . 5/12/2008
Commendable! I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only crit I have is that the scene between Misaki and April at the end seems very sudden, especially to those of us who don't remember the middle episodes all that well. A little more description to set up that scene would be helpful, to help the readers' transition. I hope that you will keep going with more characters. I would love to see an emotional expose on November 11. Thanks for writing.
Quercus chapter 3 . 5/11/2008
Well done, your observations are poignant, especially when it comes to portraying the Dolls. I just finished this series yesterday and I was craving fanfic, and this really hit the spot! I really want to fulfill your request for CC, but I don't have anything to criticize. The only part I found a little strange was the short cooking bit with Hei; he seemed a little too enthusiastic. I hope you are inspired to add more chapters in the future!
Liliumscribe chapter 3 . 3/3/2008
It is very dark... but gripping stuff and poignant. I appreciated Havoc's backstory although I'm still trying to work out what I think about the mixture of present and past tenses. Generally I think it works because of your skill as a writer. I suppose it does to a large extent convey a sense of urgency.

I did find the last bit something of an appendage... perhaps you can better allude to how that fits in with the rest of the chapter.
Omnicat chapter 3 . 2/25/2008
Oh wow, that Carmine piece was great. So clever and insightful. Can't remember the Misaki/April scene you mention, though. *scratches head* Need to rewatch the series again.
Omnicat chapter 2 . 2/25/2008
*v* I really liked these two. Yin's game is strangely endearing (what else does she have to do all the time?), but the Hei & Havoc one was my favourite, short as it is.
Omnicat chapter 1 . 2/25/2008
Ooh, now this is interesting. What is this story about, indeed. What is Darker Than Black *itself* about, for that matter?
LightningHell chapter 3 . 12/5/2007
That was a really beautiful story.

I'd echo the sentiments of Inconstant Heart.

By the way, I'm pretty much speechless too.
inconstant heart chapter 3 . 12/4/2007
Wow. I'm speechless. (Well, I would be if this review was oral and not written. You can just imagine me sitting in awe, because it's basically what I'm doing.)

This is really, really, really (multiply that by a hundred) powerful. I have nothing to criticise. I wasn't very fond of the Havoc arc, and I wasn't very emotionally invested in the character, but this has really made me sympathise with her a whole lot more. Like the previous pieces, you write the human sides of these Contractors so well... It's like DtB isn't just one of a million anime series, but a classic work of literature. That's what your analysis of these characters makes DtB sound like.

... Wow. Again. I can't even pinpoint which parts I like the best; I love it all.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is that DtB isn't a very popular category of fanfic, because you deserve many more reviews.
inconstant heart chapter 2 . 11/21/2007
I love Yin, but sometimes I really hate reading stories about her, because I'm always reminded of how she's essentially a tool. She just seems to have an awful life.

That said, I really adored your piece about her, because it makes her a bit more human than she appears, and I like that she still retains a part of herself through her game. It's just really beautiful.

I also particularly liked the previous chapter, with Hei's POV. Again, you present that struggle between being human and being something else so well, I think you conveyed it better than half the 'Darker Than Black' episodes. Hei's gratitude for a way out of making a choice rang very true for some reason, even though he was so determined on killing Amber.

You write very, very well, and I enjoyed reading this. Thanks! :)
Vanehei chapter 2 . 11/21/2007
I love, really love the Yins POV, it is so beautifull, you did it nice and it sounds like Yin. Congratulations. And Hei ists not a jerk, he is just a human trying to be a contractor.