Reviews for Almost Home
paulc5 chapter 3 . 5/22/2014
The reveal and then - 'It's a guy thing'? o_O
A brief humorous interlude before another bout of angst?
Then back to the scene of the crime - the Garden of T'Les' house and into what I think the series writers were trying to tell us in their ham-fisted way. What we were seeing in the series were questions about commitment - or lack of it.
You resolved those questions (much better than the low-grade morons who concocted TATV, who wouldn't have recognised commitment if it had followed them down the street carrying a placard and announcing its presence via a megaphone) but you've left sufficient uncertainty for the sequel...

paulc5 chapter 2 . 5/22/2014
In the first chapter Phlox describes T'Pol as unwilling to pursue except when Trip's devotion to her is at risk (created by unjoined-up writing in the series IMHO - even though it seems to be a Godsend to 'Angstsmiths'). The mind meld is a manifestation of that behaviour.
But the mind meld is destroying Trip's little paradise. The lack of realism in his life, the lack of opposition (which sparked Trip'n'T'Pol's relationship) in any form from 'false T'Pol' , but when confronted by the image of reality, Trip would choose the dream.
The final sentence 'She'd gone and ruined everything. Again.' is a brilliant indicator for the uphill struggle T'Pol faces in the next chapter.

Oh yes!
paulc5 chapter 1 . 5/22/2014
Somebody give Archer a sash weight behind the ear.
People might say his heart is in the right place, but I would insist on exploratory surgery.
All the voices seem to work - even T'Pol's flat statement "you hate me" and Trip's refusal to engage with her remark - instead he goes off at a tangent.
This is claustrophobic and dark and unsettling. Dropping Trip into the bright make-believe paradise doesn't altogether dispel the strong note of disquiet in this chapter.
Which tees up the next one nicely!
twin1 chapter 3 . 2/3/2013
I enjoyed this.
LoyaulteMeLie chapter 3 . 10/8/2012
It really was pretty unforgivable in canon the way T'Pol battered Trip's feelings for her. That morning-after scene in Harbinger is actually astonishingly cruel, so it would be hard for you to stay true to canon without portraying the real suffering that Trip went through. This story is extremely well written given the material you had to use - yes, it's angsty, but it's accurate. Only the truth hurts!
Jamieson Zed chapter 3 . 8/24/2012
I was feeling ragey again, so I decided an interlude was necessary, and I'm glad I chose this one. It was great - well-written and a fantastic hook to get them to finally break through all the hurt and resentment and miscommunication. I do so love my angst, but throw in a happy ending afterwards and I'm one happy camper! The rage has successfully subsided in light of this excellent little story. I'm glad to see there is a sequel...I'll save that one for case the rage returns ;-)
Whirlwind421 chapter 3 . 6/29/2011
Aww! That was very sweet! Good job!
Moichino chapter 3 . 11/20/2010
Poor Trip - so much angst. Great story.
JustWriter2 chapter 3 . 8/2/2010
I love that episode! You make a pretty good point though; if an alien race can create an interactive history to sustain their race then it can be for good or ill to the recipient.

firebirdgirl chapter 3 . 3/4/2008
Just read it, it is great! Happy writing!
Bineshii chapter 3 . 2/25/2008
I read this on Triaxian Silk and it is enchanting.
DinahD chapter 3 . 12/4/2007
This was a very satisfying ending to your story. I wish we'd learned a little bit more about the people who created the device, but I guess some things are just meant to remain a mystery.

I'm glad that T'Pol was able to convince Trip that he was being used, but I'm not sure he's completely convinced of her feelings for him. He's just coming off a situation where he was being manipulated by an alien race. He knows from past experience that T'Pol is interested in him one day and then pushes him away the next. I hope you do a follow up. How does their relationship proceed from this point? Good job!
DinahD chapter 2 . 12/3/2007
Poor Trip. He finally finds a little happiness, only to discover that he's just being manipulated. As if things weren't hard enough already for him with the baby's death and T'Pol isolating herself. T'Pol is going to have to work hard to regain his trust. Good job!
Drogna chapter 3 . 11/28/2007
Loved it all. Nicely written and some real soul to this piece. I just would have liked to see more of T'Pol at the end, but actually it's still a great ending.
Bineshii chapter 1 . 11/28/2007
This story about a found buoy two hundred years old and puts Trip into a dream of 1911, is intriguing. And the angsty conversation between Trip and T'Pol is good. Looking forward to more.