Reviews for Softly Say Goodbye
JFG chapter 13 . 6/9/2014
Well... That was wonderful... A real shame it got discontinued. You did a wonderful job with this. Excellent writing abilities, great story telling, the whole shebang. Thanks for contributing to the fan ase of one of my favorite games!

JesusFreakGamer
ViktorMayrin chapter 13 . 5/13/2011
D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

Excellent writing! Please do continue, excellent author!
The Trinity Tree chapter 13 . 6/5/2010
D'aw, Sas! Jory is so cute! I love the way you differentiated all the texts so it was easier to tell which one came from which family - especially the underlined font for Jory's ruled lines. That was genius. As for the references, I'm terrible at these, but I did get the "prezzent" line. I must have read through about fifty times looking for the other one to no avail. Ah well, such is life.

I never thought of writing anything like this, mostly because, well, everyone always gets a letter in game. I need to think outside the box a little more, neh? I should imagine for a caravanner, a letter is just as much of a reward as an artefact. It's a reminder of home. For Lian Cre it would have just been a reminder that she didn't really have anyone, which is sad.

At any rate, it was uncharacteristically warm-hearted of Zin Del to do what she did. It amused me that only the boys hadn't noticed Lian Cre's lack of letters. You sexist thing, you. At least Lian will have something to do on the road replying to all twenty-three people. Can't help but wonder what the metal ball was, though...

I do enjoy fluff fics, especially one as silly and sweet as this chapter. Thank you for a fun read :)
NotMeagain chapter 13 . 6/3/2010
Ok, Patrick's line about women calling his name cracks me up.

This was a sweet chapter, though I'm sure that in the long run it's actually gonna be cruel on us readers, specially considering that last line (and the fact that they're heading to Lynari Desert?). But for now it was pretty fun to see small snippets of the letters and other caravans. And Zin Del can't remember Dah Yis' whole name; priceless.
Akeifara chapter 13 . 6/3/2010
I love this chapter! I couldn't keep the smile of my face at what they were planning. The letters from home were really nice too! I feel so happy for Lian Cre~

But as happy as I was, the last line gave me chills. Those are the kind of things people say before something really bad happens! I feel like such a pessimist for that.

Anyways great chapter as always! I'm excited for the next one~

- Akeifara
authorgal282 chapter 13 . 6/2/2010
Awww! That was so sweet! Oh, are Patrick and Zin Del officially together, now? Oh well. I can't wait for the next chapter!
Angelic Sword chapter 13 . 6/2/2010
Beautiful chapter, Sas, as always. An example at how close a caravan gets, how they become family. Absolutely love. Good job.
Akeifara chapter 12 . 3/7/2010
I absolute adore you. This has to be the best FF:CC story I have ever read. I've always wanted to read a story for this game. A game that seemed so simple at first with the gathering of Myrrh to protect your village into something more. Crystal Chronicles is by far my most favorite Final Fantasy game ever. Even if people say it wasn't the best, it always stuck to my mind and heart.

I love your characters too. I even love Trin Mar even though we never really had the chance to know him. I love the brief times I got to know Kindryth. And of course I love Zin Del, the twins and the pair of cousins. Okay I give up, I love everyone in your story. The story is how I pictured the caravan travels would be if one was to be part of them.

Everything was...just over and beyond my expectations of what would be in the story. I especially adored the part of the Moschet's manor. Why hadn't anyone just asked? xD I always had felt guilty when fighting them, the cooks and etc. Since it did seem like I was breaking into their home for no reason at all.

Ack. Words simply can not explain to you the delight I have in reading this story. And to conclude my rambling, I will wait for your next update with bated breath.

- Akeifara
TitleContreven chapter 12 . 1/19/2010
I know what you might be thinking, SasukeBlade. "It's about time." I have to apologize for not getting around to reviewing this sooner, but I will attempt to make my review all the more helpful for it.

I should make it clear, first and foremost, that I am thoroughly enjoying this story so far. As such, I will list what I like before my criticisms are left for your musing.

The idea of taking the long and often arduous journey of a crystal caravan and making it succinct enough to eradicate fluff and immediately cut to the important actions taken by the caravanners is absolutely genius. It does, as you said in the beginning, make this seem more like a chronicle of past events, rather than a retelling from an omniscient but unseen narrator. This, in turn, really adds to the feeling that the characters are quite ordinary, lacking any type of sincere focus on them or their journey. The style of writing that you use brilliantly reflects this, and adds all the more meaning to your opening comment about how one needn't be a hero to change the world.

The obvious exception to this is Zin Del, whose perspective we see the events unfolding from. However, I feel like her character is still left relatively unfocused: her feelings seem shallow when coupled with a lot of her responses, and I feel like, at the end of the day, I don't really know her much better than I did when I started reading. Perhaps this is because I'm missing something, and perhaps it's because I can't relate as well to female leads (being a guy myself), but whatever it is, I feel like it only adds to the experience. It makes the characters feel unobtrusively distant from the typical archetypes that so often govern the actions of the characters in these stories.

The story that you have going here (and the style of your writing to convey it) is also quite fitting given all the other elements I've talked about so far. Overall, it comes off as a hauntingly somber tale that has its moments to dabble in humor, but never truly strays from the general rule that you've kept to. No matter what happens to the caravan that may seem to hint at their luck changing, the thought that something terrible might happen is always present, dwelling deep in the back of the reader's thoughts as they cautiously read on. The combination is both disheartening and captivating at the same time, which obviously keeps your readers coming back for more as they hope and pray that everything will go well for the Tipa caravan.

Sadly, I have found some things that have left me wondering. The most glaring of these is the shift in your overall style as the chapters went on. In the beginning, it seemed as though the chapters would come off as painful, yet dutiful reminiscence of days long past and forgotten by an elderly Zin Del to a grandchild or some other important figure of a later generation. However, at around Chapter Seven, this started to shift to you portraying the scene as if the elderly Zin Del was no longer forwarding this story to her audience, and it was happening in real-time. The shift is subtle, and thus hard to point out clearly, but I spotted it nonetheless, and must call it into question if only because my reputation for being a thorough reviewer is on the line here.

Also, I would like to point out that Zin Del seemed to know an awful lot about what a dying crystal looks like, considering that, by an extension of logic, she wouldn't have seen one before Tida's. I can't say I've been in her situation, and I may just be more naive than she is to come off as being, but I don't think I would have lined the pieces up as quickly as she seemed to do in that chapter.

I have several qualms that directly pertain to this most recent chapter, actually. I recall Zin Del calling attention to a certain preacher that she knew about, but then not recognizing him in the dream when she was with Lady Mio. What strikes me about this is the fact that, given that this is not long after Tida's downfall, and that the Tipa caravan didn't alert Alfitaria about the situation therein, she probably wouldn't have knowledge of him at all, since an investigation was still probably in progress at the time, and word about Hurdy's attempts to rid the world of miasma probably didn't get out yet.

Furthermore, I have trouble grasping why you chose Patrick, the simple rancher Clavat that he is, to grasp such a complex idea as to where the miasma is coming from. Kindryth could be thanked for most of it, since he gave some telltale clues to Patrick, but for all the lack of scholarly knowledge that the caravan seemed to have when Kin was still around, you'd think they wouldn't be able to come up with this so easily on their own.

Finally, I must wonder myself as to why Zin Del did not worry for Alder not being in the dream, confronting Raem in that realm. Was this intentional, or simply something you overlooked?

I read one of the previous reviews, the one that mentioned the song that the title referenced. Needless to say, I was intrigued, so I looked the song up. I listened as I read, and even if the title had nothing to do with the song, it does provide a good background to the story, making all the more clear the stark and lonely world that Zin Del and the rest of the Tipa caravan must face, not as heroes, but as ordinary caravanners looking only to do what has been made natural for them by their training and experiences. It made me realize, in a sense, how powerful and well-developed of a story you have wrought, and I can appreciate it all the more for that.

To conclude, I must salute you for a job well done so far, and wish you luck in your future endeavors with this captivating tale. I'm sure you won't have to try very hard to keep us all spellbound, though. :)

~ TitleContreven

P.S. Though this has nothing to do with the actual review, I should say it now, while I have the chance: thanks for noticin' me. I caught that subtle profile update of yours, you sneaky devil, you. ;) But really, it means a lot, because it means that you think my own story is something worth noticing, enough so for you to change your profile reflecting that.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Either way, thanks. It means something to me, at least. :D
authorgal282 chapter 12 . 1/17/2010
Haha! I loved the part at Moschet Manor. I wonder why no caravan has ever thought of that before? Anyways, it was rather clever of Althea to think of that. But she should be a bit more cautious. Anyway, I can't wait to see what happens next! Good luck writing!

Authorgal out!
Angelic Sword chapter 12 . 1/16/2010
O.o I would never had expected the Moschets to take the caravan in and treat them to dinner. Never. But it was awesome all the same. :D

I'm curious as to where it goes from here. Mio is showing her glimpses of the future, which obviously entails that the newer memebers of the caravan, excluding Alder, are going to Mt. Velenge and fighting Raem.

Keep up with the good work!
authorgal282 chapter 11 . 1/2/2010
Haha! I liked the ending of the chapter. For once, it wasn't filled with bad news and sorrow, or even danger! I guess Zin Del's got a lot of work ahead of her, especially with Alder and Althea. :) And it seems that Zin Del and Patrick are getting closer and closer. I hope nothing bad happens between them... But I can't wait for the next chapter!
Angelic Sword chapter 11 . 12/22/2009
Nice chapter. You introduced two new characters fairly well, and quickly formed their personalities, while also adding to the plot by inroducing a new problem: They're now considered an inexperienced caravan and they have to travel to some of the most trecherous places, including Lynari. This should be interesting, can't wait for more Sas. C:
Senick chapter 11 . 12/22/2009
Another fantastic chapter. It never ceases to amaze me how you manage to hypnotise me in your writing, even if it's about getting a wagon out of some mud.

I look forward to chapter 12.
Limitless world chapter 1 . 11/4/2009
I really enjoyed this story, it is truely a gem. Beautifully written with lots of feeling. It takes a special kind of story to make its readers feel such loss from a character that only appeared for his death. The title, is it a reference to Breaking Benjamin's "Here we Are?"