Reviews for A Failiure to Communicate
Hallolo chapter 1 . 5/10/2013
Hello!

Nice work here! :D Thanks for this piece, as a reader I share your impatience with 'fangirl Japanese'... I remember someone writing the japanese word for "cucumber" throughout a story, it was annoying... Nice French by the way! (I am French, and so I appreciate that it wasn't massacred like it sometimes is... makes me wonder what Japanese readers think of all that fangirl Japanese... )

Domo arigato gozaimasu de gozaru! :P

Hallolo
MalachiteFlames chapter 1 . 9/23/2012
Ha ha. This is cute. I laughed. Cute bit with Shippou. :)
SplendentGoddess chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Gomen ne demo Watashi wa Nihongo ga wakarimasen, LOL. Seriously, though, the only full sentence I understood from this was when she asked where Shippou was, the rest was just broken bits and pieces. Of course I understood nani, LOL, that one's almost common knowledge in the otaku world, I think, but a lot of it went right over my head. Me personally, I agree with what a few other people have said. I don't mind a few scattered and obvious Japanese words here and there that don't have proper English translation, like 'youkai' and 'hanyou' and 'miko', and calling Shippou a 'kitsune' and so forth, but *too* many Japanese words can get annoying if they are uncommon things that most Americans wouldn't know. If you think about it, though, even the English Dub kept a *few* Japanese words, such as Tessaiga (or Tetsusaiga in English spelling) and Hiraikotsu. I usually keep it simple and make sure not to use anything people won't understand, and if I do then I translate it, but usually in those cases it's only something like a character's name, and so then I'll put an asterisk at the bottom to just translate what their name means. I don't do full on sentences like the characters are bi-lingual, LOL. I have more recently gotten into the habit of adding the honorifics to their names, but that's because it can add a linguistic flare to the story, like if Kagome always calls Kouga 'Kouga-kun' then you can have her NOT do it when she's very upset with him over something he said about Inuyasha, and then Inuyasha can smirk to himself that she's so pissed at Kouga she dropped the honorific. I've also switched to using the Japanese words for Inuyasha's attacks, both because they sound cooler and also because the English Dub names kind of mistranslate what the attack names actually are, but again I think that's something that most fans should know because it's Inuyasha-specific. I've switched to 'osuwari' instead of 'sit' in most cases because in Japanese that's actually a different word than 'sit' and so the reality of Kagome saying something like 'please sit down' and accidentally subduing him isn't plausible...although I'm guilty of doing it myself in older stories where I still used 'sit' and I agree it can still be good for a laugh, depending on the situation. What REALLY bugs me is a story that uses the English 'sit' to subdue Inuyasha and then Kagome turns around and says 'sit' and nothing happens. I don't know if that's a complete oversight on the author's part or if they're aware of the fact that 'osuwari' is specifically a sit command for a dog and they are merely forced to use 'sit' both times because there's no English counterpart ('sit boy' would at least be an effort of differentiating). I can't even count how many stories I've read where Kagome threatens something like "I swear to God Inuyasha I will sit you so hard..." and during her tirade saying it that time DOESN'T sit him. *This* is why I switched to osuwari, to *avoid* confusion, because if you see the English word 'sit' and nothing happens that's because it IS a different word. But I totally 100% agree that overdoing the Japanese should be avoided. Having Sango walk into the room and say something like "Konbanwa Houshi-dono, ogenki desu ka" and then having Miroku reply with "I am quite well, thank you for asking" would be confusing and pointless. The only time I'll ever do something like that is if it's an AU that takes place in American and they ARE speaking English most of the time, LOL.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
Ah that was worth a few laughs.
Death101- Fox Version chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
... HAHA! Awesome! I loved the ending. I guess he gets hit over the head now too? Awesome job!

-D101
Vivi007Nee chapter 1 . 6/13/2010
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is among the funniest, most inventive fics I have ever read. XD My goodness, it was woinderful. Fav'd!
zab chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
i realise this was a parody but i had this moment of "she's speaking waay too formally for talking with the inu-tachi...in the anime she favors te form...and she doesnt say 'ka' for questions, informal question sentances have the raised intonation, like english..." and then i hung my head in shame for being such a japanese language dork.
Matylda Tyler chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
I had a similar idea once, but I didn't know how to pull it off:D You did a great job;)

And while reading this, I totally forgot it's japanese and when I got to your A/N at the end I was like - "What the...why is she translating it?...Oh...Oh, man...:D:D:D" My head never works the way it should:D You see, I've been studying japanese for about...what is it...4 and a half years now? And I didn't find it odd at all that the languages are mixed:D

Sorry for such a long review, it's just that this story was like made for me:D (I speak french too a bit:P) So thank you very much!:)
The Vampire's Liaison chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
This was hilarious. I loved it. I wish I knew another language to review in. Its just awesome.
Nuying chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
haha i love how shippo spoke french lol
inukag-lover1600 chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
haha, that was funny :)
Ulam chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
AHAHAH, I SIMPLY LOVE THIS! ahaha funny funny

-jess
The Violent Tomboy chapter 1 . 7/14/2009
Ah...fangirl-ese. Or -ish. I fully admit that I was a rabid speaker of it back in junior high. -

Lovely story. Shippo's French? Ni-i-i-ice.
Kaede203 chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
still funny and i do not know that much japanese only what i get from anime
theunknownchild chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
Hahaha. this was hilarious and so true...you truly captured the essense of the screwed up fanfic universe of inuyasha. speaking in english, and some people putting random japanese words in there...XD
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »