Reviews for And the Gifts of the Magi Will Abound
JetWarrior chapter 15 . 1/22/2008
The hardest part is where to begin...perhaps from the beginning.

I started by reading campy's story "Mating Games." I then went on to the spin-off involving Tara and Kevin...and that, of course, led me here.

Before I go any further, let me go ahead and mention that Tara might just be my favorite character in the entire Kim Possible world, even though not much is really known about her character...in fact, that may be the reason she is my favorite.

Either way, I was undeniably drawn to campy's interpretation of her character (not as a ditzy "stereotypical" blonde girl as seems to be the case with every blonde girl who hasn't had proper character develpment, but a girl with much more depth), and I was even more impressed with your expounding on that interpretation...in fact, all of your characterizations resonated with me. They were so wonderfully deep...you could see both Tara and Kevin's strengths and weaknesses, their insecurities. You could clearly how their old personalities gave way to the ones that were brought out by each other, and how they were, in fact, the perfect match. Needless to say, I loved your first story...and I apologize if I did not leave a review (as it most definitely deserved one).

But this is about this current story. The sequel. I have been quietly following it for a while now, but had to stop when I took Christmas Vacation in a place without steady internet. Now back in college, I was able to read all the chapters that I missed (from about ch. 8 on) and finish the story. I was not disappointed...oh, no, quite the contrary, my literary appetite was satiated in the best possible way.

You construct the story so masterfully...not only the entire past/future tale of the two stories, but even this story as a stand-alone. Much like J. K. Rowling, you leave hints here and there, you move the story along at a nice pace without rushing, describing details without being wordy (and you can describe detail to a multitude of topics, which amazes me). I didn't see the story-altering twist in ch. 9 coming until about halfway into the chapter (and it made me happy, because I kept envisioning the possible ways Jason might seek redemption; in my mind, he had become a motivational speaker and advocate for Christ using his fame as a basketball player to reach millions). It makes for a very interesting read...and the story, being a KP story, makes for an intense-yet-refreshing read; something different in this part of the site where everyone tries so hard to make something different that it all ends up the same (not that I don't appreciate other KP stories, because I really do)...

The meaning of the story is woven into it like cinnamon into a roll...it's flawless! I've never read the book "The Gift of the Magi," but I can see how the themes in your story clearly reflect at least one theme in the single paragraph you shared (and my interpretation of it), and that's what really made me drop my jaw...everyone who had something to give just couldn't accept because the person to whom they were giving was giving to someone else. I thought, even before the epilogue, that it had to have taken someone powerful up above to give all this a chance to happen (the odds of Jason finding and saving the daughter of the woman who he'd almost raped, and who at the same time was saving his own daughter was way to great for me to believe it happened randomly). Then I read that epilogue and...wow...just wow, that's all I could say. It came out better than I could've imagined.

The gift of the maji, indeed...and you have given us all a great one, as well as reminded us how much power there really is in giving of yourself unto others. All I can say in response to this story, and to you, is THANK YOU! for writing such a magnificent piece of literature. I can only eagerly await your follow-up...maybe then, the few remaining pieces of the puzzle can be collected. In the meantime, allow me to say it one more time: Thank you, Jeriddian, for this story!

P. S. I was only a casual chess player before, but after reading "Queen's Gambit Accepted," I decided to look into some opening theories and possibly practice a bit. Heh heh...I discovered that the chess application that comes standard on Microsoft Vista not only knows the Catalan Opening (one that interested me for it's multitude of options), but even on level 5/10 it can defend against it very effectively...or maybe just effectively against me. Oh, well...back to Level 2: it'll accept Gambits there...;-)
whitem chapter 15 . 1/12/2008
I've been quietly reading this story, but for the life of me don't know why I never reviewed it. (sorry 'bout that) This etire thing has made me go through such a range of emotion. Anger, sadness, and joy. It also has caused an immense feeling of awe at a few of the things that occured.

I will admit that I was a bit lost with some of the medical jargon, but it didn't detract me from the story at all. The way you expanded on these characters is great!

I'm guessing now there will be a continuation concerning the "Dragon"?

Awesome job here...
CajunBear73 chapter 15 . 1/12/2008
And the Angels will also watch over us.

screaming phoenix chapter 15 . 1/12/2008
A nice way to wrap this story up.I had forgotten about the grandfather who played chess and saved lives wherever he was.

"Pawn takes pawn.""Checkmate."
Yankee Bard chapter 14 . 1/11/2008
An interesting prophecy setting the stage for action in the future. Severing government ties and Tara's semi-retirement were unexpected twists. I hope you plan to continue this story line.
CajunBear73 chapter 14 . 1/11/2008
It was all said in this chapter. Gifts given and received, costs taken and given notice as all gladly paid the price for the love they had for their fellow man, woman or child.

And you've got more threads leading away from this one, as well as those that lead up to this tale that may be explained, someday(?).

screaming phoenix chapter 14 . 1/11/2008
“The magi, as you know, were wise men-wonderfully wise men-who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi.”

‘The Gift of the Magi’ by O. Henry

Is this not the best review I can give for your gift as well?

...and the gifts of the Magi still abound... Thank you
CajunBear73 chapter 13 . 1/10/2008
Very good chapter!

Drew and Drakken going back and forth about the Prophecy. Then a glimmer of Drew's plan to bring down the Dragon. Another deception of the heart coming up?

Then Kim fills Shego in about the Prophecy and both of their parts in it. Shocking, ain't it?

screaming phoenix chapter 13 . 1/10/2008
Of all the Shego's out there in all the stories I have read,and a some I will not, your's is the best. Still strong,independent, and cranky as always but with relationships that mellow her a bit and loved ones to protect her.

I am wondering how you proceed with this as the next generation in question isn't ready for their tasks yet and the final generation isn't concieved yet. It should be fun it has been so far.
CajunBear73 chapter 12 . 1/8/2008
The mind does amazing things when it 'feels'. Though it seems to dispassionately keep so much human data in storage, it's while emotion is high that these seemingly random pieces fall together and give the heart and soul release. Tara was visited by such an event while Jason's prayers seemed to be for more than his daughter. A little prayer, even directed somewhere else, can benefit others too.

Now comes the grinding of gears with all of Team Possible, the Prophecy and the bad guys...

screaming phoenix chapter 12 . 1/8/2008
Besides a great read your stories give me an education.I have to keep looking up some of your more exotic medical says that entertainment and education can't be done at the same time?
CajunBear73 chapter 11 . 1/7/2008
Nice chapter of reconnecting with old friends and 'family' members.

Looks like Kim's realized a part of her prophecy in her daughter Mim and Shego's son Erik. That'll be good.

So more light has been shed on Drew, the prophecy and Hana's place in it. Kim's going to have to be on her toes from now on with this kind of plan going on around her and Ron.

screaming phoenix chapter 11 . 1/7/2008
Nice transition chapter. Is there something more between Shego's son and Kim's daughter than just old friends? And is this the comming of the Dragon's prodigy?
spectre666 chapter 10 . 1/6/2008
Well, now that's a twist of Olympic caliber. (G) nice psychological profile. Theree are those who recover and those who fail, and in our current overreaction, it doesn't matter. Hope Tara can get over it, and Jill gets her head straight.

Good chapter.
screaming phoenix chapter 10 . 1/5/2008
A lot of emotion in this chapter a good tie-in to the other stories. Jason Morgan huh, all his sins comming back to haunt him.
50 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »