Reviews for Amidst Scarlet and Gold
riverrat chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
Here I am again wanting to shake Dumbledore...
He's clueless. Maybe it would have been a nice gesture to tell Severus that he had made a mistake and was sorry.
Fat Cat chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
I literally "eeped" reading the line, "I wanted recognition of the injustice that was done to me; it would help a schoolboy sleep at night to know that he was not to blame for his own brush with death. Even after twenty years."

Your writing lapses in the bit after the asterisks until the dialogue starts up again. Other than that, wonderful fic.
YuriyTalaIvanov chapter 1 . 9/17/2009
omg omg omg omg omg this fic is AWESOME! horridly sad but so lovely! i also think that it is not unreasonable at all for snape to hate the marauders well into his adult years after what they have done to him. it baffles me that people think snape should just forgive them like that! they freaking tried to kill him but no one cares and they just claim he's "holding onto a schoolboy grudge" when sirius hates him for no reason other than that "he exists" *sighs*
emptyword chapter 1 . 5/14/2007
I want to shower you with accolades for this. With the exception of Snape counting to himself to keep himself in check. That struck me as a bit out of character, but everything else is so appropriate and delicate, this deserves a Favorites.

"Now if you've finished shielding your precious Gryffindors, I believe I'm going to nurse my stupid, little, schoolboy grudge alone" - Stunning words. Painfully acute because of the twisted truth that lies somewhere buried in there. It strikes me that Snape goes through life wearing the opposite of rose-colored glasses.

"That was really why he hated meeting with Dumbledore: the old man was able to just suck all of that angry energy out of him. Without that, Snape had little left." - I adore this interpretation of the dynamics between Snape and Dumbledore. Obviously, the kinder version is preferred, that Snape relies heavily on Dumbledore as his sole ally and Dumbledore cares for him, in turn, as he would a son. But there's always been something off, something too idealistic, in that, and it's always a joy to read a story that dares to honestly explore less pleasant venues. Especially in a fanfiction from Snape's perspective.

So many great lines in here. I very much enjoyed.
duj chapter 1 . 6/20/2006
Sickening! For him to think he can repair by tender words the injury he continues to inflict. A joke? What if it was? A joke is merely a truth in pleasant disguise, a veneer that allows you to disclaim your true intention. Luring someone to a werewolf's den on full moon is not a "jest" you would play on anyone whose life you valued or even on anyone you didn't care about; it's the sort of trick you'd only play on someone you wanted dead. Else why risk it? And Albus would see that soon enough if the victim was someone who mattered to him.
Oya chapter 1 . 3/9/2006
I don't know, but I think Dumbledore still doesn't get it. He shouldn't go about his indirect methods. I know he cares about Severus as if he's his 'son', but its not something as straight forward as recognising the pain and fear Severus went through and acknowledging it.

Sigh, I would really love to read one of those fics where Dumbledore finally admits his mistake in handling that matter.
FifthOctave chapter 1 . 12/25/2003
Aww! Sweet angst. this is my favorite style of story, you know. ;)
-kimi
Nexsess chapter 1 . 9/13/2002
Sheer perfection. That’s the best way to describe this story, sheer perfection. Beautifully characterized, wonderfully written, and the ending was simply delectable. Sympathising with Severus without the common over-gloss. A truly exquisite example of good fanfiction. I commend your writing abilities. I am in actual awe.

~Nexsess
Shandethe Sanders chapter 1 . 5/30/2002
I first read this story on Sugarquill a few months earlier, and I remember being blown away then. The effect is still the same. You have Snape down perfectly-this is *precisely* how I'd imagine him explaining himself. That's no small feat, either-Snape is really hard to write. But you did a wonderful job. (Sorry to gush...;)) Keep it up!
Aliera chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
Hello.

This was one of the first fics I read.

I hadn't reviewed then. I don't know why. I thought I did.

Anyway, I think this is full of feeling.

It's a believable scene. It could have happened easily after the Shriecking Shack incident.

I really liked it.
smirnoffmule chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
Woo! This is cool. This is very cool. I love your Snape/Dumbledore relationship, and particularly your Snape. Good writing too. Particularly love the description of the way D says Snape's name, and we get a real sense of tired bitterness, and anger, and trying to hold things inside. Goodgood _
Demeter1 chapter 1 . 2/8/2002
I've read this like a million times and I realized that I haven't even reviewed it yet. So here goes; love it, love it, love it. You have Snape's anger and resentment and hurt down to a pat about that incident. He's right. He *should* be allowed to be angry about an attempt on his life. Few of the main fandom seems to realize this about Snape and I'm glad to see excellent writing proving this point! More fics with Sevvie!
cloudshape chapter 1 . 2/6/2002
Actually I have read this fic months ago and didn't review. Sorry, but I do now.

It's certainly one of the best fics around here. The relationship Dumbledore/Snape is portrayed perfectly and it reflects how I see that incident at the Shrieking Shacks. Will you do more like it? I hope so.
Shirely chapter 1 . 1/22/2002
Angst at its best.
Coesius chapter 1 . 12/24/2001
hello!

I have read a lot of snape fics and as you know, there are truly excellent ones in ffnet. But i must say that this is 'the' best snape-fic i ever read(earthwalk's i was right is great too but yours give a similar affect with only one chapter). This must be as powerful as a chapter of this lenght can get. Snape's words, especially what he said before he left Dumbledore's office have been branded into my mind. Snape counting down from a hundred and rubbing the wood, all are wonderful gestures that show of his built-up anger and what he had to go through alone. I actually had read this fic months ago but as i am also following the Coachwhip, i just can't keep myself from reading it again and again, each time i check for updates. Congratulations!

love, coesius