Reviews for The Year of Living Quietly
LunaBianca chapter 1 . 6/20/2016
Very tender with a complex mix of emotion. I like the "what he learned" refrain. Thank you for sharing!
LittleKy chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
This is so beautifully and quietly sad... Sam's character is heartbreaking and in a way Dean's is too. Your writing is excellent and really, really drew me in and stuck with me! Beautiful. Well done :)
Frakking Toasters chapter 1 . 8/12/2014
This was kind of beautiful but ultimately heartbreaking. Sam always breaks my heart. You did a wonderful job. Thank you so much. I really enjoyed this. xo
Mistycat chapter 1 . 5/22/2014
Thank you. This was an interesting story.
LeeMarieJack chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
Is this how Sam decides that he won't go on hunting when he is grown? A good psychological study on your part.
GreenChipFrenzy chapter 1 . 11/14/2013
I would love to see a version of this where Dean and John don't recognize the signs, where Sam grows up like that.
Gravitational Awareness chapter 1 . 7/12/2013
I've read a lot of "mute Sam" stories and this one is just... different. The way John and Dean deal with it and Sam himself seem more realistic to the Winchester way of solving problems. I very much so enjoyed this story and have read it several times now.
Chaos Apple chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
I really like the dynamic between Dean and Sam here. Well done.
Lyzzybelle chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
this was an excellent story.
Lutralutra chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Really interesting and insightful story - I'm still mulling over whether I believe it could have actually happened in the Winchesters' childhood. Probably, although my personal vision of young!Sam is of a very articulate, opinionated kid who rarely stopped sharing his opinions unless it was for a brief sulk, and only got more and more vocal about them as he got more and more unhappy until finally it resulted in the Stanford blowout. But no matter what, this reads as a fascinating character study of Dean and Sam.

I think my favourite section is the "things Dean has learned from his brother" part - I found it very touching, especially "bravery enough to let go of something so desperately wanted", because it's so heartbreaking how often both Winchesters have had to do just that in their very complicated lives. I also liked Dean's "you're my home" - definitely speaks to one of the main differences between the boys.

Love your steady-paced description and mostly Dean POV. Nice job with this!
sahoin chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
Aw, this was great. I loved Caelis. Where'd you find her name?
Char-chan chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
aaaaw that was a great story :) really loved the dynamic between the boys. poor Sammy though..
ccase13 chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
Poor little Sammy, I can't blame him for feeling nothing but his family matters, its almost what John meant to teach him.

I especially like how Dean worked so hard to make Sammy a normal home. He may not care about normal for himself but he certainly thinks Sam deserves the best of everything. Even in the pilot, as bad as he wanted Sam's help finding their Dad, he returned Sam to Jessica and Palo Alto at the end of the weekend.
melitta4ever chapter 1 . 7/25/2011
Nice story, a little bit heartbreaking too. Did I say a little, I meant really heartbreaking.

The way Sam thinks; he is not actually selfish but... just... I guess Dean's constant sacrifice make Sam look on the selfish side.

When Sam left the bed to sleep alone... I felt like I had a kick in the guts...
HughesHanajimaHilariaHypocrite chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
ok. i have to review so i can fav. what to say, what to say...

i really like weechester fic that portrays each winchester as their whole self, fair and truthful without wank or favoritism.

i also like fic that is kind of angsty and fluffy without giving me cavities or making me want to kill myself. the best of both worlds. that's pretty much why i like supernatural in the first place.

i also like writing with artistic style. bending grammatical rules for effect, anaphora, nonstandard sentence structure. this comes from studying latin for eight years, i believe.

(it goes without saying that all these things apply to your story. thank you for writing it. i greatly enjoyed reading it.)

~hilaria

p. s. i hope the lack of capitalization doesn't bother you too much, because i simply cannot stand the thought of going over this review and changing everything. i respect the english language, trust me. i use semicolons unironically and know the proper placement of apostrophes. your story is properly spelled, capitalized and punctuated and i appreciate that as much as any literate person who spends a lot of time on .
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »