Reviews for One
Pan Head number 1 chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
Good good story. Nice POV to I always wondered what the ring was thinking, excellent, write more.
Charli800 chapter 1 . 8/2/2008
Ooh . . . potent. You've managed to give a really strong message without being preachy. The only thing to point out is a couple of spelling issues:

-Shouldn't Isildur be Isoldur? It's a while snce I last read LotR, but it doesn't look right.

-Illuvatar definitely has two 'l's

-"but his is not true" I think you mean this

Really well done: I enjoyed that, especially the different pov.
HiddenValor chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
Yes! I thoroughly enjoyed this, especially when you tied it all together with the Bible verse at the end. I'm glad that there are some writers here willing to put some sprinkling of the Christian faith into their fics. Thanks for sharing.
Elspeth.Davidson chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
I like the constant, driving tone of this one - very intense. Sinister and dark - what *have* you been reading? lol.

I'm wondering if this isn't a trifle long; if it would be more effective if more concise.
lotr5016 chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
I think that this is absolutely brilliant. It is perhaps the best piece of fanfiction I've ever read. Thank you for writing it. "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil." I think a show-down with the One Ring qualifies as the Valley of the Shadow of Death.

God bless you
george chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
Wow. Excellent story. I really enjoyed seeing things from the ring's point of view since you really succeeded in making it a chilling character (its hubris was a big part of that, not least because it really could-and had-destroyed others in the way it described).

I both agree and disagree with your first reviewer: the idea that the ring has an identity completely separate from Sauron is excellent-both fascinating and powerful, and one of my favorite aspects of your story. However, I think that "weevil" is used marvelously. I chuckled (or kind of smirked, really) to hear the big bad called a bug. Hey, if people don't know the word yet, they get to learn a new one. I think it's too good to change.

One proofreading issue: I'm guessing that "I no Thing - but I am power" is supposed to be "I *am* no Thing..."

Thanks for sharing!
cairistiona7 chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
Can I tell you how very much I enjoyed this piece? It was fascinating to see Aragorn's temptation from the Ring's point of view. Two favorite passages in this. The first:

"I see the tumult in his mind, I see longing horror dreams hauntings doubts beliefs past present future destiny as everything falls apart and is reshaped into a grand vision of wants, pretty pictures in the air and wheels of time whirling to the driving rhythm of his heart's longing."

It really evokes in my own mind, as a reader, the barrage of overwhelming temptation that Aragorn is experiencing. And it makes me almost physically feel the chilling mockery the Ring has toward everything that Aragorn holds dear. Bending the rules of punctuation works so well in the hands of a good writer.

My other favorite passage:

"NO! So this is how he resists! He calls not upon his own strength, but that of another who is much greater than he, much greater than..."

This one strikes a chord with my own faith and beliefs . . . what can I say, I love a bit of good Bible study with my fanfic reading. ;)

Thanks for the great read-

cairistiona
LionQueen chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
That was an interesting prospective - will there be more or was this a one shot?
StarofElendil chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
This was VERY cool. Very like!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
A wonderful study of temptation. Excellent !I'm adding this to my C2 list.
Calenlass Greenleaf1 chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
Once again, you amaze me with your beautiful prose. You've capture the conflict between Aragorn, himself, and the ring very well. And the verse-it fits the scene. :)

Cal
Shrimp chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
This was fantastic for the record - and really in keeping with Tolkien's views and ideas, I think.
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
WOW! This is a powerful story. The idea that the evil of the one ring is not actually the essence of Sauron, but a much older darkness is powerful, and the thoughts of the ring in your story are intense. I like this fic and give you my applause!

Just one small nitpick:

"the one who dares call himself my Master, that ignorant weevil"

I had to look up "weevil" to understand that sentence, and it really threw me out of the fic for a moment. I would recommend to exchange that word for another, more common one, so you can avoid the irritation of readers who do not know it.

Otherwise, the fic is perfect. Thank you for writing and sharing!