Reviews for Necessity
gaelicspirit chapter 1 . 10/24/2014
This was fabulous. Just fabulous. I was a huge fan of the original novels, the story of Captain Call and Newt being my favorite, and then when the show came on I was drawn to Call's story once again. I never really focused on Moseby until the "Outlaw Years" season. When he was so enamored of Hannah, as she reminded him of his Mary, I felt more distrust and wariness around him than any real empathy.

But during the Outlaw Years when Call was falling apart and Austin was a jackass and Josiah was lost and Mattie was...Mattie, I just found myself feeling more sympathy toward Moseby even as my focus was on Call.

I loved how true to each character you are in this story. I haven't seen the show in half of forever, but their voices came back to me (LOVE how you wrote UnBob) and my connections to each character were revived. I loved how surly and taciturn Call was and Moseby surprising himself by needing Mattie to come home (her death in the series was just...so unfair). I love how true you kept their connections with Mattie wanting Call, Call afraid to let anyone close, Moseby recognizing that and feeling sympathy for the man even as he, himself, wanted Mattie.

My absolute favorite parts were the moment Call thought of the Captain, missing him, and thinking of what he would have thought of Newt as he was living now. That brought a bit of a tear to my eye. Then when Call ran to save the Hell Bitch (LOVED that horse and both Calls' connection to her in the books) and Moseby thinking to save Call's saddle as the man had only a few possessions. That was just...perfect. His making that gesture put Call off his bitterness long enough that his instincts kicked in and he was fighting _with_ Moseby instead of _against_ him to protect their people and the town.

The firefight was perfection. Classic "bad guys ride in and threaten town" Western trope done beautifully. I loved it. I loved that Moseby pulled Call along and that Call went with it, didn't argue for the sake of arguing (as he had a tendency to do during that season), and that he watched Moseby for battle cues. Moseby just commands attention when he subliminally shifts into Colonel mode.

I love that you reminded us that Moseby had been a soldier on the losing side of a war, without coming out and saying that. His nightmare and his battle instincts were spot on. And when he gutted the main bad guy, I saw that Rebel warrior flash through him. I like how you echoed his calm at killing that man with Call reflecting how killing could seem almost divine.

Okay, I've rambled on quite long here (as is a habit of mine) but I really enjoyed it and I'm so glad Laurie pointed me toward this story. I only wish there were more! Thank you for writing and taking time to share it with us.
abigailc chapter 1 . 6/28/2009
I really enjoyed this. It was very well written and the character voices were spot on.

Great job!
Love From A Muggle chapter 1 . 6/21/2009
This was really good. I just finished the last episode last night with my husband. I could really picture the characters from the show doing the actions in your story. Please UPDATE. I am a big fan of Lonesome Dove and this story! I am waiting for an update!