Reviews for Midsummer's Nightmare
AC01 chapter 2 . 5/20
Not certain how I feel about this quite yet. While I adore the concept and think it brilliantly fitting, the occasional stumble over grammatical inconsistencies and misuse of terms makes enjoyment of the tale a more muted experience.
I'm curious to know why you went with "Tatiana" instead of the traditional name for the Faerie Queen, "Titania" - it doesn't seem intentional, which is confusing because you seem to be familiar with the original work.
dannisez chapter 34 . 5/1
Thank you for another magnificent story
Ellae chapter 34 . 4/10
So... I hate being preachy because this is a beautifully written story, with amazing detail, but I just can't keep silent. what Jareth did was very close to rape (I see very little difference between his and Hayden's petulance and possessiveness) and his continued efforts to "punish" Sarah I honestly feel are unjustified. Other stories have used that plot point that Sarah did cheat/steal power from Jareth wth the "my power is as great" or defeating the GK damages his power, but I simply did not get a believable and logical justification for Jareth's truly frightening need for revenge. There are the subtle hints of affection given by the presents and the nursery, but those were far too few and (for the former especially) motivated by selfish desire to control/mark and even inspired by others. I'm also confused a little about Hiver, I just feel a better justification for her acts, other than blood purity (jealousy of status? Rejection from Jareth?) would make more sense in context of this story
Lastly, Jareth showing absolutely no remorse for the struggles/intentional impregnantion (normally a happy event, but he MADE this happen, taking away Sarah's choice-like rape) which actually makes me question Sarah. So far the qualities about this Sarah we're given to admire are her beauty and the sass she's able to produce when dealing with men (the exception being the airline, which though funny was so out of the blue and never followed up on that I'm just puzzled now. Do you work for Delta or something?), making her just an object for men. Sarah's forever gasping and having things happen TO her, the into action she takes, to seek the store, just feeds into Jareth's plan. I started getting exasperated with JARETH for finding her attractive because even he, despite calling her dangerous and formidable, seems only the value her for her body/producing a son. Is her kingdom really as great?
I kept going, in vain hope, simply because the wealth of detail and care you've infused in this story is formidable and admirable, indicative of a truly thoughtful and attentive writer, so I'm sorry I was disappointed, but I felt I couldn't leave without giving this feedback, and I hope you take it in the supportive, respectful manner it was intended. The Shakepeare integration was lovely to read, though there are some occasional typos and I am still logically stymied that Jareth was able to get away with having sex on stage. NO ONE saw anything? He just was in and out like that? Poor virgin Sarah had no idea.
Lastly (again) I was so very confused about Papa. I do not believe that Oberon would ever call him that, and his real name seemed like such a secret when really it was less impressive than the leading up. I'm disappointed again that Papa was also okay that oh just because the potion was fake Jareth's torture, abusive language, bullying, onstage sex and abandonment, it's fine that this happened to someone he considered a daughter.
Perhaps you meant to capitalize on the darkness of Jareth, which I have enjoyed in other stories, but they were unapologetically dark. The way Jareth treats Sarah, and the way she takes, this feckless woman was hard to admire or sympathize with. I genuinely thought Fred would make it, even though (of course) Jareth is THE One, but he was such an ass in this story, and not a very likeable one either. I wouldn't want to take up with a man who acted like he was 5, even if he was an insanely sexy 5yo.
I hope you'll excuse me being blunt, but you obviously care a great deal for your writing and I only want to help, in my own patronizing (like Jareth) and somewhat unfortunate (like Sarah) way. Poor kid.
Oh and I'm sure you're much older now and have different style so please don't respond to this if you are annoyed I'm critiquing a decade old story far too late to change or rewrite it

E
Did not want this to end
Very beautiful story! Thank very much! Wish everything good.
FatalStarshine chapter 34 . 12/4/2015
I love your stories soooo much.!
I spent th day reading this and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm so sorry that I suck and didnt review every chapter like I should of. Just know that I was sucked into your tale and couldn't pull myself away from it. The only times I managed was just to click the 'next' button to go on to a new chapter.
I will be back for more!
Lady Knight of VT chapter 34 . 7/6/2015
This is another one of my most favorites. I'm currently expecting our second child (7 weeks to go!) so the pregnancy part really resonated with me right now. I think it's wonderful how you so matter-of-factly plopped breastfeeding in the storyline; the US is in such a fit over that right now and I think it's ridiculous when we should be worried about important things. I LOVE how in this one Linda isn't an absentee mom or jealous over Sarah getting acting gigs. I never really like when she's written to be so mean. I also loved Jareth's fits of jealousy...glad he can magically fix those crystals! I'd hate to have to sweep up mess after mess!
Linariel chapter 34 . 2/1/2015
I didn’t know if I’d read this story, there are some who just write stories that follow basically the same plot line or go against the essence that is the Labyrinth. However the title alone intrigued me I am a fan of William Shakespeare and A Midsummer’s Eve is personally my all time favorite of his pieces. Combining it directly with Labyrinth intrigued me. So I tried reading it. I found I couldn’t put it down. I read it all in practically a day. Your OCs especially added beautifully to the plot. I enjoyed Nicole, Magda, Papa, and the others a lot.

I found it rather interesting how Jareth and Sarah were parted practically through most of the story but in the end you kept them connected. I was truly thankful to see the Goblin King brought in quickly I don’t know too many stories where he isn’t involved too soon that I enjoy. I love the ingenious way you brought him in as well. While we all know Sarah was the Champion of the Labyrinth for real its interesting reading a take like this in wondering if she truly did win. Of course as any fan of this couple would know Jareth would not leave Sarah alone forever. I’ll admit whenever Jareth threw that crystal I found myself snickering.

I love the fanciful way you weaved in folklore as well. I found the couple of Puck and Madga adorable and charming. I especially like the portrayal of Sarah’s family as well. This didn’t seem mundane how you went about her pregnancy either. Of course in essence it took up much of the plot but you kept Sarah who she is and made her whole pregnancy enjoyable to read. I love how you weaved words and sayings throughout the story. You have an excellent handle on prose. I truly enjoyed this story. Thank you for writing something so enriching inspiring, and beautifully written. It was truly worth reading till the end.
LoreLorelei chapter 19 . 8/27/2014
Whohooooo! Santa!
Luna Bass chapter 15 . 7/27/2014
I think that realistically, a pregnancy three months along would be pretty easy to abort. I think it's a around four or five months that it gets a bit more difficult.
Anon chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
Wait, I thought the queen of the third race was "Titania", as from derived from the Greek "Titan" (I know that she's never actually given a true name, but since we're dealing with Shakespeare's play, he used "Titania" unless there's a variation with the names in his Midsummer's Night Dream that I'm not familiar with?).

I love myths and legends but I only know a bit of Shakespeare, nothing too in-depth. The story looks good, nonetheless. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it more.
Lozzarooni chapter 34 . 7/18/2013
Excellent as always, I do like a bit of a wicked Jareth. :D
Honoria Granger chapter 27 . 3/26/2013
This is just stupid...totally unrealistic as to the "custody case". You ruin a good story with such an unlikely hook.
Honoria Granger chapter 25 . 3/26/2013
What a horrible name you picked to give the baby.
Nyllewell chapter 34 . 10/10/2012
I believe I missed this when it came out. It was fantastic. I love Fae games and you wrote all their twists and turns with such mastery! Well done.