Reviews for Beasts of Gaia
Myshu chapter 10 . 3/27/2009
Hah, so THAT'S where so many of those Qu recipies came from! And somehow that's the really cool/neat part of it all, how the Ornitier name passes on...

Ah, I can only dream of a destination so fantastic as Memoria (or just turn on the game and play that dungeon again, heh!) I hope Ipsen and Colin really do live(?) happily ever after there (with the Great Silver Dragon, of course.)

It's funny, if I haven't mentioned it before-one expects a story like this to be a dry read, but it's filled with bits and pieces of fun, horror, nostalgia, weirdness, pure fantasy and simple humanity.

It's utterly fascinating and charming from start to finish, and I applaud you for completing something like this. It's a rare jewel in this fandom!
Leife chapter 2 . 3/27/2009
I enjoyed reading this! Very interesting and unique.

Just wondering, though, where is Amdusias? Its the demon horse-unicorn-pegasus thing. Maybe I missed something about not putting it in there, but I've always been curious about that particular monster.

Anyway, great story! :)
Chosenoneknuckles chapter 10 . 3/27/2009
A short but satisfing endeth.

I never saw Ispen Orniter being a Qu, but I like the correlation between him raising Quan and him then going on to raising Vivi [whilst resisting his primal instincts to simply eat him and be done with it]. Tis a nice little touch, the circular aspect of life is a good thing to keep in the forefront of one's mind.

This has been a comprehensive compilation to the hindrances of the FFIX world, from lol-worthy [and cringing] facts to simply bizarre things that only a fantastical imagination could provide. Thank you for the enjoyable tales and nostalgia, and I wish you godspeed on whatever you put your mind to next.

And so endeth thou comment.

Myshu chapter 9 . 3/22/2009
So... how do Vepals mate without melting their frozen partners? Heheh. (Just kidding! I'm sure they fertilize their eggs externally like frogs or... okay, not thinking about this.)

[In this regard, based on chemical properties, Yeti venom is very sufficient to the toxic sap of a plant called the Dumb Cane, or Dieffenbachia Seguine.]

'sufficient'?

Whale Zombies always made me WTF out loud. It's neat to see something of an explanation for those big, bloated, floating monstrosities.

Other details were interesting, such as the Yeti tails, the healing Wyerds and the bad karma Zemzelett eggs-I'm going to miss all these fun facts! Ipsen getting into a tizzy over religion was pretty funny to behold, as well.

Ah, close to the end. I'll be waitin' for the conclusion.
Chosenoneknuckles chapter 8 . 3/5/2009
Wow, great stuff yet again sir!

I especially liked the Ragtime Mouse, Seeker Bat, Silver Dragon [I wonder Colin became?], Tonberry and the entry on the one TRUE ring [the Harry Potter allusion and Ultimecia mention were unexpected but nice surprises]. The lore you wove into the FFIX universe is fascinating. The author of Ispen reminds me of the acclaimed [and much loved] David Attenbrough actually; with a captivating voice and wit. XD

I'm sorry that I haven't thrown any criticisms or suggestion your way - I just can't think of any! Especially since you only had the bare bones to setup this fic in the first place [enemy image, very tiny bio], the majority of this is constructed of your own imagination. And I can't fault that.

This line especially, was just great:

'So all you narrow-minded idiots out there who call yourselves 'scientists' can bend over and go get yourself some good buggery - you guys are WRONG! HAH!'

Well, here's to Ispen and the final parts of Beasts of Gaia to come! *rises his drink*

Myshu chapter 8 . 3/2/2009
Quite a treat! The Silver Dragon entry in particular exceeded my expectations, and I was touched by the legacy of the fallen eidolon as well as the parting with Colin. Quite a noble cause for farewell...

[No need to strangle anyone, as Colin nearly did...]

And he seemed like such a charming man, too. :P

Poor, poached Red Dragons. A nice, sick little slice of humanity there-reminded me not only of the Grand Dragon entry, but also the same practice on tigers and other "big" animals here in the real world. Nasty stuff.

[So if you ever need to turn a Ralvurahva into a princess, do not kiss it - such ways only work out in fairy tales.]

Haha, oh Ipsen, you so corny at times.

Again, I like all the notes about Qu medicine. You make them out to be quite a resourceful race, and heck, I can respect that. (Fun fact-in light of the Sand Scorpion entry I went back and edited the choice of venomous monster in one of my fics, heh.)

One technical note this time:

[perpetually-lit lantern that never dims its light.]

Redundant wording.

As for the Ring Leader saga, I can't remember my comments from before, but I'll say here that it's a daring crossover, epic and fascinating. It is fortuitous that such an entry came later in the list, since it gave time for the narrator to gain credibility in the eyes of the reader before introducing such an ambitious concept. I can certainly appreciate the amount of effort put into blending the two fantasy worlds, and it makes an entertaining read (although Ultimecia's appearance seems jarringly inexplicable, as it did in an earlier entry-perhaps her part in Gaia's history will be explained later?)

Anyway fun stuff once again, y'know I'm enjoying these. Can't wait for the next batch!
Chosenoneknuckles chapter 7 . 12/14/2008
Wow, it's been a LONG time since I've seen any FFIX fanfic of any depth as this, it's just as a reviewer already stated:

The craft at which you've developed the mythos of Gaia's monsters and world [and even throwing in FFVI and the like referencess] is really amazing. Ispen is as charming and filled with one liners as I imagined he'd of been.

From him to the mad doctor, this is a lovely, flowing bible of disconnected [but connected] events. It's an interesting concept, which having just read all the current chapters in one go [FFIX is my best loved FF to date], is also one that I look forward to seeing reach its inevitable conclusion.

Here's to a good sendoff to old Ispen, Pee and Vee will be waiting I'm sure! XD

Till the next time,

Myshu chapter 7 . 11/24/2008
Nice again! Love Ipsen's snide little inserts, especially about his fellow "scientists." A favorite entry this time was the Nymphs and their ironic moon-curse.

Man, Dr. Taxo was a brilliant badass, wasn't he? THREE armies? That's one helluva boss fight.

One thing I will crit your writing at this point is the excessive commas, such as in this sentence:

(The Mandragora will build-up its Shriek, by sucking in gallons of air, and exhaling through the overlapping armor-plates on its thorax.)

which doesn't need any. I'd just keep in mind that not all pauses in the sentence require a comma, and too many break up the flow of reading.

Good luck with the next part; I'll be watching!
Myshu chapter 6 . 11/15/2008
Man, why doesn't this fun story get more reviews? Perhaps it doesn't promise enough fluff or slash, though after reading this chapter I would (horrifyingly) beg to differ (egads, an IGUANA!)

I also have a new and dreadful respect for Lamias (fun fact: one of the only random encounters that gave me a Game Over. I suppose I let my guard down, but still! Those Mights add up.) I had forgotten about that Entice spell! It's only really insane when you have to think about it such as you wrote.

The Lizard Man entry was amazing, too. I love the depth you gave their society, and the reverence Ipsen bestowed their craft. (Now I wonder, was the Orichalcum Zidane and co. found the genuine article, or a replica?)

Another entertaining round. Looking forward to the next one!
Ravioli Fiend chapter 5 . 10/22/2008
Very creative, very clever, very amusing. Making a game bestiary into an entertaining fanfic is no doubt as daunting as it is unique, but you do it very well. We eagerly await the next letters.
Myshu chapter 5 . 10/7/2008
Hilariously informative! The little sprinkles of humor are well worth the read, and in a funny way I feel like I'm learning more about the amazing world of Gaia.

My favorite entries so far are the Gimmie Cat (absolutely hilarious) and Epitath ones, and I like all the odd outside references, including Greek mythology and other FFs (hello, Ultimecia.) The Qu recipies make me chuckle, too-this is becoming more of a cookbook than a field guide!

I especially enjoyed the bit in the Grand Dragon entry about Dragon Knights. ;)

And now I want a pet Griffin...
Myshu chapter 3 . 8/26/2008
This is really well thought-out! I am impressed and entertained; I've never seen a fic like this. I like the author's occassional snarky comments that break up the academic tone, and the bio on Dr. Taxo is fascinating.

I hope you do more!
Myshu chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
Interesting mythology for the world of monsters! I like how the concept of the Abyss is reminiscent of Dante's levels of Hell.

I hope there's more-I wonder how a mere man such as Ipsen would come to know these things.
Sonata Varius chapter 1 . 12/30/2007
good story.
PRIVATE chapter 1 . 12/16/2007
"...And knowing is half the battle! G. !" That's what my impression was at the end.

This story was alright. I'd like it if there was some more chapters although, more focused on Ipsen.