Reviews for Definition of a Family
Gunlord500 chapter 4 . 5/26/2009
Hmm...First off, it seems my assessment in the previous review may have been a little hasty. It seems that Kent's wound was more serious than he let on after all! Good work

Anyways, minor little corrections, as usual...

"felt guilty at being gone so long"

I think it's "felt guilty *for*"

"reassuring her ofanything"

Space needed

Now to the good stuff. Firstly, pardon my ignorance, but is Rena the healer a reference to FE3's Rena? :D :D

Aside from that, a very nice end to this very nice story. It seems like you really did your research, judging from your description of the lye soap and stuff :D And I laughed out loud listening to Lord Hausen's description of how he wooed his wife XD XD XD Very good work, my friend! I'm really glad you let me and your other readers experience this story :D :D
Gunlord500 chapter 3 . 5/26/2009
"Working in the stables was not easy work"

A bit repetitive...I think it could be just "Working in the stables was not easy" or "his work in the stables was not easy"

“I have been given news to tell you of.”

I think just "I've been given news to tell you" would be sufficient

The only other small complaint I would have is that Kent's wound seems a little superficial given its source...I mean, a knife embedded into his side? That sounds like a more grievous injury than one "small enough to heal fine over time." It would have been more believable had the knife missed him directly and instead grazed him, or had been deflected somewhat by his armor/clothing or something. But other than that and the lil' things I mentioned, this is very good, once again! I eagerly anticipate readan the next chaptar :D
Gunlord500 chapter 2 . 5/26/2009
Hello again, Kitten Kisses! Gunlord here. I think I shall finally try my hand at reviewing the other chapters of this work

Again, I couldn't find any real grammatical/spelling errors worth mentioning (aside from the page breaks you mention, but since you already acknwoledged them I won't dwell on them).

This is very good work! You do a great job of illustrating the positive aspects of a bucolic life on the farm, ranging from the simple pleasures of feeding the horses to the beauty of the land. You also do a very good job of illustrating the painful aspects of Kent's life with his hateful and uncaring father...really makes the reader feel for him, IMO ;_; Very good work! :D
RandomTopic chapter 4 . 2/5/2009
Ooh, I love this backstory for Kent. :D Very heartwarming fic.
Sam chapter 1 . 6/10/2008
This just about made my week when I saw that it was completed. I really loved this story, and I think it might be my favorite out of all you have done. It is very sweet, but contains enough drama to tug at the heart strings. The ending could have been more perfect too. I loved that final scene between Lyndis and Kent. Those kinds of scenes are my absolute favorite. Very very well done. I love how your stories are always very poignant, yet they are never over done. There is never TOO much drama, which is sadly what a lot of people seem to fall back on. In my opinion it ruins the integrity of the relationship. Yet you keep their relationship pure and sweet. I eagerly await future work!
SierralaineWalsh chapter 4 . 5/26/2008
Oh, poor Kent... This piece is beautiful. And I really love the last chapter! :)
Korsriddare chapter 4 . 4/16/2008
Finally got around to reviewing this, for some reason I had thought I reviewed already.

A very warm ending, the type that I like. Did not exactly like how the confrontation panned out with Kent's father, but not the way you write, just that I like a little more.. justice to happen to him, heh.

How Lyndis tried to defend Kent by saying she 'jumped all over him' was THE moment of the last chapter, and it was extremely well done.

A very enjoyable fic!
FireEdge chapter 4 . 4/9/2008
_ I didn't even realize that it was Present-Kent that visited his father. I thought that it was a Kent from a few months after he found out about his mother's death. Whoops.

Anyway, the ending made me feel all warm and fuzzy because it was a nice, happy ending! _ Aw. This chapter gave me a few laughs, too. Mostly because of Sain (he's so much fun) and that one sentence where Lyndis thought Kent might punch her in the nose. Could you imagine if he actually did that? XD

So, I don't really have much to say other than congrats on a great story! It was a great read and I enjoyed it very much. Your interpretation of Kent's past was interesting to read through as well. Until next time!
FireEdge chapter 3 . 4/9/2008
You know, I always thought that knight training started when boys were about 10 or 11. Kent is a special case, so maybe he could start later, but I'd think that 17 is too old to start training as a knight. That's just something that was bugging me, but it's nothing really. Either way, the meeting with Isaac was pretty much what I thought would've happened if Kent had returned (sad and disappointing for Kent). The part with Anne kinda makes up for the unhappiness of his encounter with his father, though. The way you tied up the loose ends (sort of) worked out very nicely and the chapter was paced well overall, as well.
FireEdge chapter 2 . 4/9/2008
I must say that I was a little teary-eyed by the end of this chapter. It just makes you want to give Kent a big hug. Still, I thought that this was amazingly written. The amount of detail you put in was astounding and it was so well fleshed out. Kent's family history is very believable and I liked the detail that Isaac still loved his wife even though he didn't love Kent. A great chapter all around.
FireEdge chapter 1 . 4/9/2008
I've been meaning to read this for a while, but I never had the time. So, now, I'm starting it! I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish it with one sitting.

Anyway, this looks like this is going to be a really interesting fic. It's not often that someone tackles the idea of writing about a character's past. So, I'm very excited to see what is going to happen next!

So, I didn't spot any spelling/grammar mistakes, and everything seemed to flow very nicely. I especially enjoyed your characterization of Sain this chapter. That little bit about why he compliments women was great. It's a very plausible reason for why he's the way he is. Oh and on a random note, when Kent said: "If you do not have anything nice to say, you ought to refrain from saying anything at all." I was immediately reminded of the little bunny from Bambi. XD The chicken kinda made me laugh too, but that's not really relevant to anything.
Edward Houshi chapter 4 . 3/10/2008
This was an amazing story. Especially this chapter. I was physically cringing when you described Lyndis treating Kents wounds, and I nearly laughed out loud at the end.

Great job, and keep up the good work!
Sotsumi chapter 4 . 3/8/2008
An awesome fic with some wonderful insights into Kent's past. I thought everyone was perfectly in character, the details were right on...

Beautiful.

Keep up the good work!
A Wandering KentxLyn fan chapter 4 . 3/8/2008
Wow, that was really very touching, you did a great job! Very elievable backstories-I felt so bad for Kent and his parents (I really did pity Isaac, I did!) and I could easily picture Sain with all his siblings. Haha, it reminds me of Brock from Pokemon a little.

Anyways, the KentxLyn was worth the wait in the last chapter. I'm glad you're not one of the people who automatically condemns it because Kent's not of Lyn's status-love conquers all, right? Overall, excellent, and I hope to read more of your work.
Rayestar Ikina chapter 4 . 3/8/2008
Honestly, I think the most wonderful thing is how you managed to incorporate all three of them so evenly into the fic.

Rayestar