Reviews for The Last Test
Teh SSD chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
Re-read this and it's still pretty damn awesome even today. Very fitting with the Eva style, of hope being present after hell. (Things tend to get worse before the glimmer of hope at the very end.)

The subtle KawoRei admist Asuka/Shinji is nice too. :3

Asuka Langley Soryu/Shinji Ikari forever 3 (And now, time for some off-screen happy sex between them on that beach, heh.)

Write more "epic" stories (fics in this fashion), anta baka? .
birthofthecool chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
This story was really painful to read.

As painful as the last few episodes after the mindrape always seem to me.

I admit I was wondering wether you were extra sadistic by adding blindness on top of everything else, by your fotnotes of couzrse made it clear.

The 3I / Instrumentality part was fantastic, I always believed that she was going through her own trials as well as Shinji.

I think she actually manages it a bit better than S., or not?

Nice explanation for the 2nd throttling as well, quite believable.

All in all, I suppose I must hste you, because I sure as hell would never be able to write a story in english, that would at least be deserving of being compared to this.
esselfortium chapter 1 . 9/25/2009
I absolutely love this story.

Despite the fact that so much of it is so terribly depressing, it's just so fantastically written that I originally ended up reading it all in one sitting (a month or so ago), and read the last 1/3rd of it for a second time just now, only to discover that it's even better (and far easier to understand) when I'm not exhausted from having just read so much in one sitting! Funny thing, that.

It's definitely a very melancholic story, and wasn't anything at all like I had expected from a "WAFFathon 2007 contest entry", but it really went above and beyond everything I could have expected from it. Certain parts of it (particularly the 3I scene and some bits after it) triggered an immeasurable amount of strong, conflicting emotions in me, affecting me in much the same way that certain really good music sometimes does. I'm not even really sure how I would begin to describe how it makes me feel, so I'll just say that this is really some powerful stuff you've written here and leave it at that.

I also only caught "she stares back" from the final scene on this re-read, which answered a lingering question that had been bugging the heck out of me after my initial read-through of it, which I hadn't asked because I was afraid of what the answer would be. It seems my fears were in vain (and if I'm wrong, don't tell me! :P)
Aspexit chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
this was truly...amazing
This is my name chapter 1 . 3/2/2008
That was a long "chapter"

Also, excellent story! It was confusing at the end, but considering the series the fanfic is based off of, that's not a bad thing.
Sailor Star Dust 1 chapter 1 . 1/2/2008
Ah-ha! No wonder your pen-name sounds so familiar, either you reviewed some of my fics or I did so for yours! _ Anyway, excellent job, man. I'm glad to know I was able to help you with the proofreading. Congrats on winning! You deserved it! _ I chuckled at the line about her "blue eyes almost appearing brown", a tongue-in-cheek reference to the "Rei/Asuka/Misato being in the Final Scene" BS, I gather? By the way, with the Eva Series, Asuka (while apparently suffering from Battle Rage and Regression (see Episode 19 for a good example with Shinji of the former; the latter is mentioned in one of the 2 tracks that plays during Unit 02's awakening) was fighting along with her Mother. The thing that's unknown is whether or not Kyoko had a deathwish for Asuka, due to the whole "You must live...Please die with me. I'll protect you...Please die with me!"/"I don't wanna die!" bit before Nigoki reactives. Anyway, great job and I look forward to reading more! _
Hidari chapter 1 . 12/23/2007
Beautiful and brilliant. This deserved to win. _ Love, selflessness, and forgiveness. I never thought anyone could put that in a fic and make it work so powerfully. Congratulations on writing something this wonderful.
miguelangel chapter 1 . 12/23/2007
simply beautiful, great description of the end of eva and good end. long but not boring, loved the role of kaoru and rei during instrumentally, amazing job congrats
Fifth Horseman chapter 1 . 12/19/2007
Read this when it was on the contest site and I thought it was very good. you obviously put a great deal of effort into it and it shows.

My only critical point with it, and all of the fics that were entered in Waffathon, was that I didn't find them to be very 'waffy'. Though, it is probably just a matter of personal prefference.

Regardless, this is an excellent story.
ERROR809 chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
lol i knew it was u when i read this on the contest's website!

an exceptional accomplishment, keep it up!
Tarage chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
...Was this yours? Ah jeeze, I should hit myself for not realizing it sooner.

And here I went and wrote a glowing report on RI/ALS, and had not a clue it was you. Figures, only someone like you or Jimmy could put out something so amazing.

And for the record, you got my vote in Waffathon. Though the other contestants(save Truth or Dare) didn't stand a chance.
Potato Tots chapter 1 . 12/17/2007
My eye's are bleeding. This has to be the best fanfic I have ever read.

Honestly, after reading some of your other stories, I think you should take the time and create something of your own. I won't really go into it, but if I ever saw "Eric Blair" appear as an author of a book, well, I'd buy that god damn book.

Good luck and keep writing. Believe it or not, this has really opened my eyes to what an EVAfic should be. I understand many people write their hearts out and try to create something, but you really have written something wonderful here.

Good luck and God speed.
LionHeart1080 chapter 1 . 12/17/2007
Maximum kudos for you, Eric. You'll be happy to know that I proudly voted for your fic in the contest, enjoy that prize of yours (even though Darknemo said that technically your fic isn't waff, but I digress). Anyway, looking forward to reading more from you.
Illogically.Inclined chapter 1 . 12/17/2007
"Sharp eyed individuals will note a homage to my all time favorite 'unofficial' continuation of EoE."

Lol, RE-TAKE ftw:

“In the end, Shinji Ikari will never accept Asuka Langley Sohryu.”

Anti-Asuka RETAKE-Asuka? O_o

...But I digress.

Very well written story, even better than your usually excellent standards.

Less than a handful of grammatical/stylistic nitpicks for the 22k words, none of which broke the flow of the story, so kudos to you.

Also, very excellent WAFF, and a very carefully distilled representation of the characters.

As a fellow lurker and A/S shipper, I salute you.
Hououza chapter 1 . 12/17/2007
Magnificent story.

I can understand why this won, because it was a brilliantly conceived scenario showing both and understanding of the drive and meaning behind the characters and a clever reinterpretaion of the scenario.

I enjoyed reading it, ups and downs and imbetweens and in truth it makes me want to start writing this genre again, if only in the hope of creating something so touching as this piece.

Good luck & best wishes,