Reviews for How to Write a Movie Parody
NoctisStella20 chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
Genius. You wrote the exact thoughts I had around Cartoon X-Overs section. WAY TO GO. *thumbs up*
Cartoonatic55 chapter 1 . 7/31/2010
I was feeling really crummy today until I read this. Nice job. XD
E350 chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
This is excellently funny, and it's going on my faves list.
One Lucky Unicorn chapter 1 . 12/11/2008
*snortgiggles* You win at the Internet. Forever. XD A dead-on description of this site's "Cartoon Crossover" section. This story was written in the same tone that makes Encyclopedia Dramatica so funny.
Rubidia chapter 1 . 12/1/2008
It sounds almost as if you have some personal experience with some of these things. In particular, a certain Dracozombie... :) But, a nice guideline, with some good tips!
Blue Paratroopa chapter 1 . 10/22/2008
I love you, I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU.

For so long I have been complaining to these people, but to no avail. I'm a serious parody author and I like to see someone else who actually gives a crap. No one here knows what a true parody is. "Muppet Christmas Carol" was a true parody. Not all these parodies OF "Muppet Christmas Carol." It was like they were nuking my favorite movie again and again and again...and then one more time to make sure it was really dead. Then they nuked the corpse.

So, in conclusion, THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU.

Oh, and have you ever read my Aladdin parody "Never Had a Friend Like Ed"? I think you might like it. 'Cause, it's you know, different. Oh, and if you have any constructive criticism (or flames, as they call them), then tell me.

Oh, and did I mention I love you?
KingdomKey23 chapter 1 . 1/20/2008
Ha! Ha! I love it! I really enjoyed this story, my dear. For the most part you sound pretty accurate on how the parodies are written at the Cartoon Crossover section. I personally don't care, but I've seen them, and you pretty muched summed up. My only complaint with the story is that it would've been wise to use cartoon characters to maybe tell the story since it is in the Cartoon Crossover section. Other than that, good job. Good luck, rock on, and keep playing Nintendo.

Key20
Isa the One-Eyed Zombie chapter 1 . 1/1/2008
That is EXACTLY how some of the people in this fandom act. Bravo, encore, and all that jazz.
The Shadow Syndicate chapter 1 . 12/22/2007
Way to stick it to them!

You go girl!
avatarjk137 chapter 1 . 12/22/2007
Great work! Soaked in sarcasm, rolled in satire, and baked to perfection! I give this fic a double-thumbs-up on my... 1001st review!
Yellowfur chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
Excuse me, I'm about to release my sailor's mouth for the world to say.

OH NO FUCKING WAY THIS IS SO FUCKING BRILLIANT!

See, this is... like... I couldn't think up this stuff!

But I have really bad news for you, Dracozombie. In my latest parody, I plan to make Robin an evil, sneaky bastard and Zuko get occasionally drunk... am I badd riter now?
Evil Riggs chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
M. Tasty snark. Almost every one of the points is both valid and amusing. Why challenge yourself when you can write solidly within a comfort zone - over and over and over again?

As a note, in it's current incarnation this *technically* against the rules. A brief change-up to include a character or characters giving the lesson will (more or less) alleviate that problem.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.
McGeesJabberwock chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
This was really funny and satirical, with some good sarcasm to it. Y'know, Jussonic (the 'ultimate' movie parody author) has actually admitted to using Danny and June too much (I have nothing against the ghost kid and the Te Xuan Ze but parodies with them as heroes are getting tired) and that he has trouble taking concrit (admitting you have a problem is the first stage towards recovery).

I guess so many people copy the script because they want to capture the 'magic' of the movie they're parodying, they saw the movie and were so impressed they said "Wish I could do something like that!" Seeing as Disney films are so 'feel-good', they think copying Disney films will generate 'feel good' fics, or they may just want to be as popular as our good friend Jussonic.

In terms of the 'good is bad, baby' and 'bad is good, baby' issue, I admit that while it is easy to end up casting a villain as a villain (the old cartoon 'Walter Melon' always had that clown as the villain in its parodies, and hell, I've cast villains as villains), making good guys bad and vice versa does have that element of fun and intrigue for the reader and writer as long as the characters still retain at least some of their traits. I, at one time, wrote a Foster's parody of Batman where some of the show's good guys played villains (Wilt was Joker etc.), but I recieved no complaints about the casting; perhaps people who frequent the Cartoon X-Over section and those that frequent the Foster's section have different views. I will say that complaining about Juniper Lee being the bad guy is ridiculous though. Casting anti-heroes and anti-villains in the roles of 'traditional' heroes and villains can be interesting too.

Getting back to Danny and June, I really feel that, as you said, 'Danny Phantom, Juniper Lee, Sora, Lilo and Stitch, Timmy Turner, Jake Long' are overused while many of my fav toons are going to waste. The Batman and Superman cartoons, for example, have a wealth of great characters that could more than carry a good parody. I know asking for someone like Claudia the Caribou, Berk and Boni or Pingu is a bit of a stretch since few people round here are familiar with the characters or their shows, but at least using someone like them would be a refreshing change. Did you mention the annoying tendency some parody authors have in packing in more characters than is needed?

And I guess songs included could work if they were wacky parodies like in Blue Paratroopa's stories, but not if the original song is quoted verbatim, which is against the rules anyway.

Keep up the good work.
ChaosMagemon chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
Hey we've been at this for years maybe even longer, and no one's complained about how we write, at least no one who matters
NeedsmoarDelta chapter 1 . 12/18/2007
That was some damn brilliant saitre.

I can't wait to write my own super amazing movie parody and be

teh awesomest riter evah!1!1!1!eleventy-one!
34 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »