Reviews for The Nature of Memory
The biggest problem I have with this story are the characters. Very few of them are actually likable. Chris, Bianca, Henry, Cole, and even Wyatt are the only good characters here. Wyatt isn't necessarily likable, but he isn't meant to be. The other characters in your story are, I think. I'm pretty sure we are supposed to like Melinda, but I don't. Mostly this stems from the fact that you have made her into the resistance's "leader" in Chris' absence, but she is an awful leader and it shows through every single one of her decisions. Although no one aside from Cole and maybe Darryl see this. Everyone else thinks that she knows how to lead. Apparently no one can see the difference between how Chris led the resistance and the way Melinda does. Which brings me to another point. Chris would have NEVER left Melinda in charge. It doesn't matter if she is his family. He has said that Melinda had turned into someone that he barely knew anymore. He would have seen her leadership faults, but he still left her in charge. It just doesn't make sense.

As for the Charmed Ones. I don't like their characterizations either. They just get on my nerves. I want to roll my eyes at them every single time either Phoebe or Paige says, "he/she is my son/daughter" to someone when that person tells them to let Melinda or Henry go. I understand them wanting to see their child, but come on. They can't see how much pain their children are going through? Phoebe and Paige are only thinking of themselves in these situations. They say it's their child and they have a right to see them and talk to them, but they don't stop to think about what their child wants, which is exceedingly clear by Melinda's and Henry's actions.

The only reason Henry is likable is because you didn't give him much of a personality. With Melinda you went over the top and just made her hate everyone who is not like her and who doesn't share her opinions. You have her making some progress when she questions if it really was right to kick Bianca out of the resistance, but then you have Max just telling her what she wants to hear, not what she needs to hear (and maybe he believes it too, but your characters can't make any progress like that). And I still don't understand Melinda's prejudice against Cole (and by association all demons). Cole took care of her when she was young, so this really needs to be explained because right now it just makes absolutely no sense. She used to like him. What happened to change her feelings on the subject?

There are a lot of issues in your story. None of the characters really make any progress. The Charmed Ones go into the future believing that they have a right to know everything and don't take anyone else's feelings into consideration. They pretty much leave the same way. Melinda never really makes headway with her hatred of demons (which needs to be explained) and her dislike of people who don't share her opinions (and her cruelty. Seriously... threatening to kick Darryl, a mortal, out of the resistance because he doesn't share Melinda's opinion? That's just wrong). Details are inconsistent as well. Piper seeing Bianca reform two different times and both times she is shocked that she can reform. Are you trying to make your characters seem really dumb?

Overall, I like the story, but it would be ten times better if you changed some of your characterizations and had your characters improve and take responsibility for their actions and wrong decisions.
Okay, just an FYI. Piper already knew that Bianca could reform. She saw her reform at the manor before she took Chris back to the future. Make sure you are keeping the details of your story straight...
"Melinda had changed into a cold, hard person he barely recognized anymore." That sentence says it all. It makes absolutely no sense why Chris would ever leave Melinda in charge of the resistance, even is she is family. If he barely recognizes her, he would never be too sure about how she would lead and the actions she would take. Why would he take that chance?

Also, during the Council meeting, Rhodin calls for silence and everyone obeys him. That makes it seem more like he is the one in charge. There are quite a few inconsistencies in your story.
So... basically Melinda doesn't like anyone who doesn't agree with her. I don't understand why Melinda doesn't like Cole. He was in her life before she seemed to take on her extreme hatred of any kind of demon. Also, I have a hard time understanding why, if Melinda cares about Chris, she would just throw Bianca out of the resistance at her first opportunity. I feel like, even though Melinda doesn't like Bianca, she wouldn't try to blatantly harm her because Melinda would not want to hurt Chris. I don't think Melinda would trust her, but I don't think she would have kicked Bianca out either. I also don't think that Chris would have left Melinda in charge of the resistance... not with the way she acts towards people who do not share her views. Her behavior is not something that would have magically appeared as soon as Chris left and she took over the resistance. He would have known, and he would have left someone else in charge... more than likely someone Chris thinks would make the same decisions as he would.
CharlieLittle chapter 21 . 3/11/2015
Great Story - Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us! (I wish there was more...)
Aunda chapter 21 . 12/22/2014
Wonderful fanfic, thank you!
All the story was beautiful and i loved Bianca/Chris relationship! D (Thank you, thank you, thank you for the ending! Perfect final chapter!)
Guest chapter 12 . 8/7/2014
I don't understand why Melinda would be so biased about demons (or half demons) when a demon had taken care of her. Obviously Melinda loved Cole at one point because she allowed him to take care of her after her mother died. I don't understand why she would dislike him so much now. As a character, I really don't like Melinda. Actually, I don't like a lot of your characterizations. The Charmed Ones are so one-sided and stubborn on their beliefs... more so than I think they would actually be. None of the characters are very dimensional. They believe one thing, and they pretty much stick to that belief no matter what is thrown at them. I think that Melinda would have seen things differently than she actually does in your story. She has known Cole for a very long time; he would have been like a father to her. I don't think she would be treating him the way she does. And Wyatt. She would understand the intricacies of good and evil better... For instance, perhaps she wouldn't have liked Bianca, but, because of her experiences with Cole (being a family friend and father figure) and Wyatt (turning out evil), she would have seen that anyone can be good and anyone can be evil.
Guest chapter 10 . 8/7/2014
Did you do this on purpose? All of the people in the Resistance that Melinda doesn't like are people that don't agree with her. She's completely one-sided and definitely doesn't know what she's doing. I find it hard that Chris would not have seen her leadership faults. Why would he have left her in charge in the first place? I think that he would have left someone who was a little more open-minded in charge, not someone who dislikes someone who is helping them just because they are either part demon or because they don't agree with her opinions. Seriously... if Darryl says something that she doesn't like, she would just kick him out? What kind of good leader would actually do that? None.
IHaveCookieInMyEye chapter 21 . 7/21/2014
Wow, this was a fantastic story! I'm sad chris still died but it was necessary. Where would he go? To the changed future with all his crappy memories? Its sad but it needed to happen. This was very well-written and exciting to read. I love that phoebe/cole was hinted at the end and everything worked out. Very touching :)
Guest chapter 14 . 6/27/2014
Really Max? And exactly who is the new source of all evil? That's right, a witch, a witch who is in fact Melinda's cousin, so maybe before you start throwing around accusations, you should remember that if family is what makes you good or evil, then Melinda should also be viewed with suspicion and hatred.

Grown up Max and Melinda. Neither of you are good leaders; it's obvious that if Melinda was not related to Chris, she never would have been put in charge in his absence because she quite clearly does not know the first thing about leadership, instead trying to take petty revenge on Cole. All those looks of triumph she directs at Cole just highlights her lack of proper leadership skills and ability to make the right call. An immature little child.
Guest chapter 19 . 6/11/2014
"So you just want to give up on our son?" Piper demanded harshly. "What, you suddenly decide that you don't care about him? He's not as important as Wyatt? He might not be born yet, but he's still our son, Leo!"

Oh get over yourself Piper! You don't care about Chris, only how the fact that you've treated him badly reflects on your perception of yourself as a good mother - which you're not.

It's Piper's fault that Bianca died - if she hadn't protected Wyatt, everyone would have gotten out of the attic. The athame would not necessarily killed Wyatt, just hurt him enough so that he wasn't an immediate threat. Thanks to Piper, Bianca died and it's likely that Max will too.

Well done Piper. We can always count on you to screw things up.
Guest chapter 11 . 6/10/2014
"Chris would never be able to kill baby Wyatt, even if it meant saving the world."

Actually, I think Chris *would* have killed Wyatt in the end, if there was truly no other way to save the world. He wouldn't have liked it and probably would have felt like letting a demon kill him afterwards, but he would have done it.
Guest chapter 8 . 6/10/2014
Get over yourself, Piper. There's a much bigger picture out there. It's called the world." Piper looked away, but Greg caught her tightly by the arm, spinning her around and forcing her to look at him. "This might be a hypothetical future for you, but this is my life. Our lives. And anything you know about it might change things in ways we don't want. You could erase someone. You could erase one of your own children just because your arrogance makes you think you have a right to satisfy your curiosity."

Oh how I wish someone had said that to Piper in the show; she always irritated me with her arrogance.
katiek121 chapter 21 . 2/16/2014
I loved reading this chapter! You did an amazing job!
ObsessedwReading chapter 21 . 11/17/2013