Reviews for The Fish Job
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 4 . 8/29/2017
So I read this on your LJ account and it was fantastic. I liked how you structured it, and you captured the characters (and Mal's deepest fears lived out) so well. Beautifully written. For a first-time fanfic writer, you are light-years ahead of most more experienced writers. I can't wait to read the next two novels in your series. I'm a Mal/Inara fan, and you're scratching that itch very skillfully, keeping them both in character and expanding the 'verse in believable and fascinating ways. I love what you did with River, and the whole cast, really. The only thing that made me twitch was how you always wrote "laying" when you meant "lying", but that's a minor quibble in the face of an overall wonderfully written piece of work. Kudos to you, and thank you so much for writing and sharing this!
Talitarintti chapter 4 . 3/26/2016
Whoa, this story was something else! Really imaginative and I enjoyed it thoroughly! Shiny!
StarrH chapter 4 . 12/17/2015
I'm very excited about having found your work. I've waded through pages and pages of other Firefly FF and finally found someone (you) that can put a story together that's more that a couple of thousand words.
So I read this one and thought it was really imaginative and it kept me interested. I look forward to reading the rest; it should keep me busy for a couple of days. If you do decide to find the time to read someone else's Firefly FF then I would suggest Peptuck. That person has one that is 500,000 plus words by the title of Forward and it's really worth the time it takes to read. Dyce and Thescarredman are another couple of really good writers.
Thanks
Catasauqua chapter 4 . 10/23/2015
Excellent story! You did a wonderful job of keeping the characters 'in character' while writing them 'out of character', if only in Mal's mind (if that makes any sense). Truly an enjoyable read!

Thank You!
Cat
traube.xp chapter 4 . 10/1/2015
Great story. Your character were spot on. It read like an actual episode.
Guest chapter 4 . 7/11/2015
What an amazing story - thanks for continuing Firefly for me. I'm particularly impressed with how well you created Mal's nightmare. I liked how you very slowly and almost imperceptibly made the details reveal more and more over time that what he was experiencing was not real. Thanks again!
truecadence chapter 4 . 5/8/2015
Well done! What an amazing piece of both writing and storytelling that you have created. Thank you.
Guest chapter 4 . 6/23/2014
I feel like Mal would not have been that ok with being drugged and taken advantage of
allisvanity chapter 4 . 5/3/2014
Oh, I loved this story so much!
The Alliance using people's own fears to manipulate them is a stroke of genius- it would be much easier than manufacturing terrors & draw much less attention than actual torture.
Really well-considered and -written fic, thanks for writing!
:D
Mendip123 chapter 1 . 4/12/2014
I like everything about this. This is my second read-through, after reading all the stories up to the one that's still updating.
I'm actually completely stunned that so much of what is to come is set in train already.
The characters are good; River is especially hard but I think you catch her really well.

Anyone reading reviews to decide whether to read... Do it. This is the start of a fantastic and epic story. The right balance of dark and light.

[As a geeky aside, really well formatted too.]

Some good bits... "Inara rolled her eyes, as if he should know the whoring rules better. " and sexy fork usage. haha.
Book's comment that Mal won't find any peace... And River, monsters and walls. Right now, because I'm in suspense about what's next for poor Mal with his monsters on the loose... This was a killer!
EagleJarl chapter 4 . 10/24/2013
That was pretty intense. I lIked the scene with Inara caring for Mal and helping him past his trauma. And it's good to see he's compis mentis again. The resolution came off believable; nicely handled.
EagleJarl chapter 3 . 10/24/2013
Poor Mal! As bad as the braindance was, the recovery is going to be worse. Hopefully River can help him sort it out.
EagleJarl chapter 2 . 10/23/2013
Yayyy! It's the Matrix! I was freaking out there when everyone started getting off. I thought 'wait, she's got plenty of other firefly stories, it can't be that everyone is gone in all those...right?!' But now I knOw that they have Mal in braindance, all is well. And presumably the crew knows and is on their way to rescue him - that's what River meant. Ok, I feel much more happy and I intrigued and much less sad and wrathful-like. Looki g forward to the great escape story our Big Damn Heroes will be staging. :)
EagleJarl chapter 1 . 10/23/2013
Lots of fun! This is a great start, can't wait to see where it goes. I'm guessing that Saffron put a tracker on the ship and that's what brought the Alluance down on them. What's the charge, though? They have their forms and the Tams have no outstanding warrants so what's up? Oh and I think River meant "I'm losing control of my psi and I'm going to go wonky soon. " Her reference to wires, knives, and monsters reminds me of the Academy...could they be showing up again or is it a general reference to the Alliance? Can't wait to see.
lastarael chapter 4 . 10/22/2013
Excellent scene between Zoe and Wash when he offers her comfort after she must "shed the Acting Captain" armor. Shows the connection between Zoe and Wash that most other fics miss.