Reviews for Under The Influence
Someone who asks chapter 33 . 7/27/2013
Why is it that out of all of your stories, this has the least amount of reviews? Perhaps it's simply because it's short. I hope that's the only reason, because this is the sort of story one must review. I know that as an author you haven't written anything for several years, but I hope you haven't lost this talent.

Joe Hardy is the kind of person everyone wants to be- the boy who has it all. We all know that, right? But what you did- not just in this one-shot but also in your serial series- is you showed that he was a human being. That's the fault that most superheroes have- they're not shown as people, just as icons. But Joe has a vulnerable spot, like we all do, and you hit the nail on the head with it over and over.

Perhaps why I like this little story in particular, although I am a big fan of your serial and the other one-shots, is Iola's mother. She is written like nothing I have read before. Her grief is so relatable and real, her methods of dealing with it understandable. She's not mentioned much in the original Hardy Boys books- in fact, I don't think she's mentioned at all- but here, you pulled her out of thin air... and she's perfect. Perfectly human.

Joe. I love Joe. And I love that you can take a character written as basically as the original Batman TV show and turn him into a person with depth. His grief isn't the same as Grace's, but that's normal! That doesn't mean it's less painful. And the fact that he's willing to take a risk that isn't playing up that 'dumb jock' stereotype- that, in fact, negates it- is incredibly unusual. I love your lost, confused Joe.

One last note is that I am a big fan of less talk and more... something else. Just as a personal preference. But most often the 'something else' is some kind of action, which becomes repetitive. Your story is so very different. Almost all of it is spent in memory, contemplation, and just thinking about things. There's little dialogue, and the people don't move about much- it's just thought. And I like that.

Your stories are all memorable, but this one is absolutely perfect. I hope that someday you come back to write another story.
CherryPika91 chapter 33 . 10/3/2012
Awww very good story!
Mrs. Frank Hardy chapter 33 . 11/3/2011
awwww...
GreatDays chapter 33 . 2/2/2011
Awwww sweet man,

Thats so cute. Keep on writing !

GreatDays
The Phantom Dragon chapter 32 . 10/18/2010
ha i could have told u it was Ryan from the moment he refused to answer

it's one of the best psychiatric tricks known to man, leave them in the dark about whether they were the one whodunit
PrincessGBRS chapter 33 . 6/23/2010
One of the most AWESOME stories ever! I was spellbound throughout the whole thing
Wyntirsno chapter 33 . 4/30/2010
Poor Joe freaking out because he doesn't know what happened. It is so great that Frank is so good at what he does so that he could find the real killer. It was sad that Joe felt left out because he couldn't help. I am glad Vanessa wok up and was able to tell them exactly what happened. Great story, sorry I reviewed this after some of the others I thought I had already reviewed it. lol
special agent Ali chapter 8 . 12/5/2009
Harold Skimpski, something tells me that was Franks revenge

your a genius :)
Surreal Epiphany847 chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
This story was great! My husband kept asking if I was ever going to sleep but I couldn't leave before finding out the end! The part with Joe and his dad made me cry! Thanks for such a wonderful story. I am excited to read the next one of the series.

Btw, Dean Winchester said it's okay. He know he's been a sucky big brother as of late...but he's getting there. :)

I share your affection for the Hardy Boys and the Winchesters. In fact, Supernatural is my fix of Hardy Boys PLUS a hotter version of X-files. :)
RedLion2 chapter 2 . 10/15/2009
Wow. I just had to say it. I've only recently begun to get into the Hardy Boys stories, which is sort of funny, since I'm a YA librarian. Seriously, I think this story, even after just reading two chapters, could be in their casefiles. Even with the jumping around on the POVs at first :) Every writer eventually learns that lesson, huh?

I write Gundam Wing stories on this site, but am also attempting to finish my first YA fantasy novel. I have to say, though, if I keep reading your stories, I might not get that novel done! I'd love to try writing a HB story, but am not sure I know enough to do it yet...maybe some time.

Great work, Red. I love it.
KatSol chapter 5 . 10/6/2009
Okay, now we're solid into Act Two and you're setting it up super well; nice call on the dominant hand vs injections too, great call actually! I did think that perhaps someone shot Joe up with a form of 'angel dust', but LSD works fine too for the surrel visions he's having about the previous night...

I keep referring this to a movie script because I can see it; also as a series (in which case there'd be approximately 7 acts, due to commercial breaks, as a two-parter, one hour each). You write it fast, act breaks are very clear, and now you're setting up the main line of the story, the whodunnit (love this stuff). Am really enjoying this, and no way will I let this go! Will be back for more, prob tomorrow (am on vacation this week, yay!)

KatSol chapter 4 . 10/6/2009
Awesome! End Act One, and that's a no kidding! There'd be a commercial break right here, with the focus of this story, Joe, confronting the first test of his ordeal -

Great dialogue, between the two brothers; it's obvious they love each other and its more than obvious there's lots of psych issues going on underneath as subtext.

I think you're a brilliant writer!

KatSol chapter 2 . 10/6/2009
Hey ya sweet! You're sure upping the tension here, and that's perfect! I like your characterizations, and the ultimate prob: drugs and violence, which is very very timely. (By the by, it was a wonderful twist in the beginning that the domestic violence call was, in fact, at the home of one of your leading characters).

You keep upping the antes, and that's a gift, chickie! :)

Honestly, it sounds like Joe was doing some major stuff, hallucinogen or stimulent - but best of all, you've provided Frank and his dad with a solid, emotional motivation to solve this one (and this is the best story-driver ever!)

KatSol chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
Dudette, you threw the hook perfectly! I know you mentioned receiving some POV concerns, but this plays like television programming; you have to have a few introductory characters to be 'the bait' leading the reader/viewer into an introduction of the main players, and you did it here just fine!

Am thrilled, too, you have advanced their ages; that puts more bite in, taking the original show into a more realistic realm -

gonna read on (can't just leave the sit the way it is!)

grins,

HelenLouise chapter 33 . 9/19/2009
Sigh...

I've just spent a wonderful evening reading this story in its entirety - AGAIN!

In spite of your apology in the first chapter, this is still a magnificent read - and, as with all of your stories, one I will return to again and again.

You have such a talent and this series will never, ever stop being a source of great joy for me.

Given that I've read everything up to 'With This Ring', can I dare nurture the hope that, one day, there might be more?

Thanks, as ever, for an enthralling read.

Helen