Reviews for The last sound of the ocean
bdbg chapter 1 . 5/23/2008
wow really well written amazing sad and interesting
aquaesulis76 chapter 1 . 2/10/2008
I've no idea why I decided to check on the Press Gang fic today, but I am so glad I did.

I'm about to read through your fic again, to get all the details out, but had to review and thank you first! I really enjoyed getting inside James Thomson's head - the first fic I;ve ever seen to even include him - and I really felt you nailed a character we only ever saw in photos. I really loved seeing Spike through his eyes, and the changes in him over the seasons. The acknowledgement of their similarities and differences, the instant recognition of Lynda Day's reflection of Katherine.

You conveyed his sadness over the break-down of his relationship with Spike, the inability to repair the damage done, the paternal pride mixed in with the worry. It's still heartbreakingly tragic that the one day would be one day to late - and of course we know Spike's end of that loss. I always loved the fact that Mr Thomson had a paper with Spike's headline on it, and I was so glad you included that little detail here.

I could go on and on, but basically, I appreciated all the little details in this, the sense of the real person behind Spike's casual remakes. The father who was too much like his son, the man who never fully recovered from the loss of his own 'Lynda Day'. Thanks for sharing!