Reviews for The Prince
Miku05 chapter 13 . 11/29/2019
Simply love it. Please tell me you will continue to publish this story sometime.
Siri02 chapter 13 . 8/22/2019
Finishing this chapter left me feeling bereft... as I realized that the cliffhanger is probably indefinite since it was posted 11 years ago. I love this story and the angle you took. It was amazing! I’m going to go on a whim based on a few things I noticed thus far and say that somehow, there is a happily ever after of sorts and L would save Raito.

I’m sad I won’t see how and if that’ll really happen, but it’s nice to think about.
peacock-sama chapter 2 . 4/30/2019
raito-sama!
readwritemm chapter 13 . 1/30/2019
I love this story—it’s so good! I know it’s been many years since you updated but if you ever decide to continue, I will be extremely grateful! Thanks for writing such an enjoyable story.
WindSailor95 chapter 13 . 5/7/2018
Damn. Where has this story been all my life? This is fucking amazing. Your wirting is flawless and brilliant and I really wish this could have been the real story. It's been 10 years since your last update but I really wish you would continue it. I feel so empty without knowing how this is going to end ;_;
Guest chapter 13 . 4/20/2018
Oh, I’m so curios about them. Please! Please! Please continue to create this fantastic work.
Nostalgic Beauty chapter 13 . 2/28/2018
I just discovered this story, and it is amazing! I think it’s my favorite Death Note fanfic. I just love how you changed Raito’s character while keeping some of its core. Man, L is going to be so furious when he corners Kira, only to realize that is what Raito wanted all along. Talk about a hollow victory! I know that it’s been awhile since you’ve updated, but I believe in you! I’m eagerly awaiting the continuation of this story! :)
littlebeirdy chapter 13 . 12/14/2017
omfg I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS FANFICTION UNTIL TONIGHT AND LET ME TELL YOU! I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS AND I LITERALLY JUST BINGE-READ ALL OF THIS GENIUS IN THE LAST $ HOURS! I know it hasn't had a chapter added in years but if you need a beta or a sound-board contact me any time my friend.
Kloness chapter 13 . 11/17/2017
I love—no, ADORE how many layers this story has and I feel terrible that this is the last chapter. Pleeeaaasee consider updating, And I know you said on your profile that you wouldn’t drop any of your stories, but it has been nearly a decade, so I’m just wondering if you discontinued it in the end...
Btw, I love the Machiavelli The Prince references, since it matches light so well, he’s just like a prince in the Yakuza... he’s got the looks, attitude and brains. I also appreciate the fact that you actually researched about the Yakuza structure and spent money to make as accurate as possible! I only wish I could find another fic as good as this one, preferably one with light with a messed up life like this one, I highly doubt I’ll be able to find one so good though...
I’ll keep an eye out for any (hopefully soon, fingers crossed ) updates.

~~your faithful fan, Kloness~~
Kloness chapter 11 . 11/17/2017
I couldn’t find the live journal thing of L’s thoughts upon the realization of the connection of Raito Kira and Kirin, could you post the link to it on your profile or something, cause I really want to know how L figured it all out.
Kloness chapter 4 . 11/17/2017
I love how you didn’t make light overpowered and overly mature and that he still has some elements of immaturity. I also love the contrast between canon and this fic by how in canon light had challenged L and said he was Justice where in This fic he accepts it and waits for justice, hopes for it even.
SomebodyLost chapter 13 . 9/8/2017
This... this is awesome. Like whoa.

Light was awesome. More awesome in canon. Now I'm more torn whether I want him to win (which will make him more depressed) or lose (which will kill him). He's pretty fascinating. In canon, being generally worshipped and praised, being always at the top gave him boredom and a god complex. In yakuza land, since he's always working to be seen as valuable, he's not in control, he retains his conscience and has a sense of purpose, although it might've been a bit derailed when he learned about the afterlife waiting for Death Note users. He also has some deadly skillz, both in fighting and in negotiations; dealing with powerful men who would have no qualms about murder would hone his survival skillz.

And what he's basically doing, walking between the fine line between Kira, Kirin, and Raito... dang. My head hurts, but it's awesome.

L... I didn't expect that L would become emotionally involved, that he would take the Kira case so personally. That was incredibly well put, the set-up and all. But I'm also a bit sad, that even though Light was more... morally upright (?), no matter what universe, these 2 will be always enemies.

Speaking of their relationship, I'd rather not have them as a romance ship. Just personal preference, but I'm here for the clash of wills and justice, not yaoi, so I'll prolly skip romance stuff. That's why it was disconcerting to me when L described in his head about Light's appearance. :P

Aiiiiiiieeeee, there's so much stuff here that I love that I can't put into words. Misora not dead, involving Matt early and making him profile video game deaths, Teru transferring to Tokyo, etc. Misa getting the Note... quite curious how Light would handle her. I hope he'll be better to her here compared to canon.

Also, what also struck me is Soichiro's plight, or rather, Light's uncompromising view on it. Upholding the needs over the many, the justice, over the needs of one - it's all so Japanese, haha. In a way, it's sad, perhaps because I lean more on the "family first" view, but yeah, it's sad that Light had that belief early on his age (because he's a genius), sad that their relationship have fallen because of it.

Anyhow, I wish that people would write more of this Light. It's pretty fascinating. Thanks for writing!
Realive Anime chapter 4 . 8/6/2017
OMG! I almost cry when I read this, not like the manga/anime, this stoty already show the naive and hopefull raito, it's just sooo cute! I can't wait to read the romance part between raito and L, and I swear if in the end they won't end up togeter, I think this story will become so heartbreakinng story, and I will end up crying. BTW, I lije the way you writing, it was so good that I feel that I was actually inside the story , and that this was the original story of death note. Bye, see you on the next review ( If I
oxygenate chapter 13 . 7/15/2017
canon!raito does not do this raito justice.

To be honest, I read this fic 2 years ago, and while I remember thinking it was a great fic, I dismissed its-your-utter brilliance.

In a nutshell:
/This is fucking amazing./

You're right; in most DN fics, L is ahead of Raito. He is portrayed as the better of the two in pretty much every aspect but his appearance and social abilities (though there are many exceptions to this). Practically every single DN fic I've read-that would be hundreds-show Raito as an idealist pursuing a foolish dream; sometimes blindly deviating from his own morals, at others remorseful and repentant upon realising the nature and full impact-or lack of, in the long-term-of his actions. It's been a while since I was in touch with this fandom, so I honestly can say I can't remember coming across another fic with Raito fully aware of the hypocrisy of his thoughts /and still committing the crime anyway./ I'd like to say I would have remembered a fic even half as profound as this, but that'd be a lie.

After all, I somehow overlooked this brilliant, brilliant masterpiece.

This rather gritty outlook on Raito's life contrasts so well with his canon counterpart. Not to mention the foils in his speech. I truly love him as a character; jaded and lost he is. It's very rare of me to say something like this; usually, I'd tell the author I love the way they developed their characters. Loving the characterisation in the story is of course, different to loving the characters themselves. I often find myself admiring the qualities a character embodies, but in this fic, Raito does that and more. His struggles, his resignation, his silent cries for help-they feel so real. You have given so much depth to his once flat, two-dimensional character.

And with that, I had hoped for his redemption. Of course, it would be incredibly OOC for Raito to start confessing all of the trials he'd had to go through in life, for him to explain what he truly thinks about Kira-about himself-but ... to see Raito be free of his burdens, that would give me peace of mind I never have found before in fanfictions. A part of me just wants them to jump in bed and just do it (and for you to finish this 124k foreplay and let them get to it) but at the same time, I value the building of their relationship so very much.

It's sad yet understandable that L feels so betrayed. But he is the only chance Raito has left in his life, and for once, can he not end up being disappointed? And if L were to understand who Raito is and all his intricacies, we know he would be drawn into him even more.

I wish the best for the both of them, for wherever they ended up in your plot points somewhere in a lost document.

Of course, the world-building in this fic is also very realistic. I'm impressed with the time you've spent having and the extent to which you researched for this. Wileh, as L commented, the drama seems to be conjured up from an author's convoluted mind, this plot progression is logical and well-constructed all the same. Your way in getting into L and Raito's minds and how they would create their plans fit them. And I appreciate the plot twists, especially in regards to L and Raito, very much.

But again, over all that... the dynamics between L and Raito caught me. The irony before they realised each other's identities was wonderful, but afterwards, their interactions, while more charged, felt emptier, too. Because they aren't letting their guards down around each other. And how I wish they would, and particularly Raito.

It is past 3 AM where I am and I don't regret foregoing sleep to finish this fic. This was far beyond my expectations. I utterly love the poignancy of Raito as a character. All self-contradictions, all the things he went through that made him the broken perfect being he is as an 18-year old in your universe: I love it.

I want you to know, despite not having updated this for nearly a decade, that I am extremely grateful for you having written this. Having shared a marvellously brilliant character-no, a person, with us all. Perhaps you have read over this sometime ago and dismissed it as a childish work your teenage self produced, perhaps not, and perhaps since all those years ago your opinions have developed further or even changed, and again, perhaps not-but. If you ever end up reading this review, I'd just like you to know that for having let us into your world, meet your splendidly, fabulously designed characters, allow us to experience their thoughts, their emotions, their motives, them /themselves/...

You have my most sincere thanks.
a chapter 13 . 4/30/2017