Reviews for Points of Reference
shasha chapter 1 . 10/21/2011
I could definitely see Yusuke being lonely his first time in Makai, and I found it interesting how he was sort of the underdog in that arc. Even though the tournament was his idea, no one really expected him to win, it was all about Yomi and Mukuro.
AlleluiaElizabeth chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
This is a beautiful reflection on Yusuke and his friends. Well done. :)
StillThereForMe chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
Very interesting character introspective fic. Poor Yusuke.

Great observations though, and it's very likely Yusuke went through something like this during his training in Makai. Well done.
Animekitty47 chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
A truly excellent piece. The introspective ones certainly make up for their shortness with poetry, metaphors, and other wonderfully worded sentences, don't they? Yours is an excellent example. :D
SereneShadow chapter 1 . 7/8/2008
I love it. It rings true to the character, and at the same time, isn't preachy. Yusuke has spent the last few years protecting those he loves, and without them, he's lost. I especially love the last line, because it sums up a problem that I see not only in Yusuke, but in other people-are we people in ourselves, or are we people because of what others see in us? Yusuke is what he is because of his friends, and without him, I don't even know who he is, let alone himself.

It's great to see an author who can really understand the deep characters of Togashi-san.
IchikoKitsuneKoumori chapter 1 . 1/9/2008
well shit. It seems he's just going around in circles. It's like it was before he died that first time.
Niru feeling lazy chapter 1 . 1/4/2008
You know, I love your non-dialogue work more than anybody else's in the fandom. You have that rarest gift of being concise without compromising on that elusive "flow" that separates good writing from bad.

And yes...Yusuke does tend to fall flat when he loses motivation, doesn't he? He's the kind who needs a reason to fight, and without it, he'd feel lost. He did seem a bit off during the early Makai arc, and now I think about it, this might be why.

I loved your descriptions of the other three - the calculating Kurama, Hiei's quickness and fluidity, Kuwabara's reckless bravery. And yes, maybe that IS why he's able to be his crazy erratic self - because he's got someone keeping him from falling over his own feet, someone ready to yank him out of harm's way, and someone who's crazy enough to even believe in his weird tactics. (Because he is weird. Let's not forget that.)

Actually, taken chronologically - which is not how I watched YYH - the precise moment in which Hiei's character becomes "real" and not just a stereotyped reluctant-hero/villain is when he's completely thrown by Yusuke's casual trust at the gate of Suzaku's castle. It's a brilliant arc, and your sideways reference to it is appreciated.

Most of all, your statement that he was protected. Perfectly there. Cocky as he acts, Yusuke's inferiority complex leaves even Hiei in the dust - and the other three silently fill in the gaps where he's unable to reach out because he's too scared they won't want him there. It's almost reflexive on their parts, especially Kurama and Kuwabara. Keiko and Hiei - well, they have their own issues.

People get so caught up in Yusuke's image that they rarely see the vulnerability inside - and so caught up in his protector role that they don't notice the others behind him. You did, and this is precisely why you're on my faves list. This is one of the best YYH gen I've read, and I've read lots. Kudos to you.

Niru
BlueUtopiah chapter 1 . 12/28/2007
I liked this - Yusuke's pov when he doesn't have anyone to rely on, anyone to protect. You rarely get a glimpse of the non-cocky Makai Yusuke and this did him justice. I really really like the pyschological analysis and the description of the three.

YAY.
morsmordre chapter 1 . 12/27/2007
Wow. Yet again, you take something that no one really addresses and make it seem so obvious (a little like 'Pecision', which was awesome, by the way).

Brilliant insight.
borderline-mary chapter 1 . 12/27/2007
My holy gods, this is beautiful. I can't believe how much I love this. I'd never really looked at it quite this way - but that's what I love about you as an author. You're always finding new points of view.

This is a gorgeous insight into Yuusuke's character, and you *know* I have to look at him this way from now on. What's funny is that it's so *obvious* - when Genkai asked him what was important, he chose his friends, so without them, maybe he has nothing to fight for.

Gah. I'm at a loss for further words just now. I heart this fic.
NyteKit chapter 1 . 12/27/2007
Wow. This was really great. As always, you delved into the character's mind wonderfully, playing off things others wouldn't even think to write about. Very nice subject.
Azamiko chapter 1 . 12/27/2007
Depressing. He should talk to Sanzo.