Reviews for Culture Shock
mumphie chapter 7 . 6/2
Harry is a foul mouthed bigot against Earth. You write so well, and the premise had such promise that I had hoped that the story would be enticing. But no. Perhaps I am just the wrong audience demographic. You could start with this premise and make a really good story. Ah well. It's been abandoned anyway.
mumphie chapter 3 . 6/2
You should have put that this was a x-over.
Then, HARRY I8S ELEVEN YEARS OLD. ELEVEN. What are you doing with the sex? Do i have to have a ewww face with every chapter? What up with that?
The names of the ship are fun, but they get in the way of the story. The Mind speak is difficult to read, you have to skip WHO is speaking to get the conversation.
Will Harry find out about his family? Was James from a wealthy or middle family? Will Harry care? How will they react to Goblins? Will they have to admit there is such a thing as magic?
mumphie chapter 2 . 6/2
Going with you there until Harry was jealous of the woman he knows as his mother having a visitor in bed, and then he admired her body. Just igged me out. Ewwww. I hope that this child won't have Harry engaged in breeding. Just having him kidding and petting at this age is just. wrong.
Scabbers1957 chapter 7 . 2/12
Well this is one the more original "Missing Harry Potter stories.
I'll add it to my story alerts to see what happens next.
:))
Clavyus chapter 7 . 1/20
Even as a fragment, this was a .ot of fun.
FriendlyFire59 chapter 7 . 12/27/2023
Crud! Fifteen years for this story and over twelve since Ruskbyte posted updates.
I really enjoyed this HP/Culture crossover, love how the Minds are trying to deal with the reality of 'MAGIC!'. I think they're going to have to find a tame Terrasa magical to assist their studies while Harry is in school, even with all those books. Wonder how many microseconds the Minds will be in shock if Harry ever learns how to use the Room of Requirement?

Thanks for having posted and really wish you still were.
Guest chapter 7 . 9/7/2023
This is so damn good
CM chapter 7 . 9/3/2023
Thank you, quite unique and intriguing world building. Really enjoyed reading your story. Be well.
SatanSan53 chapter 3 . 6/12/2023
So much horny crap... I like that.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 5 . 4/23/2023
I'm impressed that Harry even understands the CONCEPT of money. The cultures who's never had it, or people who has grown up with someone else dealing with money (even highly educated spoiled brats) rarely understand the concept.

Did he watch a lot of movies from less advanced planets growing up, or is it something he downloaded? _

Pocketspace... by the long name I cannot remember... and suddenly I want to read about Harry raised by Rick Sanchez. (Rick & Morty.)

"It was the patiently polite face of a world class conductor being forced to listen to a recital of his favourite symphony, being played on a pennywhistle by an untrained orang-utan."

...EPIC!

Why are they suprised at paintings moving tho? With Videos, VR, and likely even Holographic imagery -and remember those electronic picture-frames a few years back-? They must SURELY have seen something similar before. And paird with an AI...

Of course, I'd say Grid Energy over electronics...

Plus, they know about the manipulation thingy the self-proclaimed Wizards do...

Have you found any place where it ACTUALLY says if magic do or do not interfear with electronics?

I've never seen it mentioned myself, so I always assumed it was a fan myth that cropped up long after the tech-less 90s when the books origionated.

(I didn't even have a pc until nearly 2000 or so I think. Before that, I shared a pc with my brother and two cousins, it was a black-and-white World Perfect run device with no mouse.

The 90s did NOT have cellphones widly available in brittain for kids under the age of 15, nor did they have laptops.

I always assumed THAT is why we never see any muggleborn bring them; They simply don't exist. Or, those that DO exist are not given to children. Nothing like today.

But that's just my hypothesis. If you have proven facts, please tell me. _

Have they considered the possibility that some species (like a type of humans or human-like creatures -wizards and muggles are proven different species, see the muggleborn myth on potterwiki-) might be able to manipulate reality via some yet-unknown energy?

(I always hypothesised Dark Energy myself, but it's closer to an assumption than a presumption -I really don't know enough about the subject to be even halfway sure.)

Do the book series mention anything like that?

Because I FULLY believe Magic CAN be explained by science. It's just something not-yet-known. And in the HO universe, anchored in genetics.

Also... Hogwarts IS free. It's paid for by the Ministry of Magic according to JK Rowling's twitter. (Most things in Harry Potter mirrors the british muggle world -Azkaban's medival torture not withstanding.)
Lord Bz chapter 7 . 4/9/2023
This...

Isn't well written. Or, more accurately, it isn't written to its logical conclusion. And I'm not remarking on the unfinished state of this fiction but on the Culture's methodology.

They adopted Harry when he was 1 year old, fully *aware* the child was endowed with a very peculiar ability. They effortlessly concluded from logic and observation, that Harry wasn't the only human in possession of this ability.

It is an ability they want. Not at any cost but this is the Culture. They have the necessary technology.

So, did they flood Earth with drones of all size to spies and learn as much as they can about this ability?

No. They unexplicably didn't, waiting instead on Harry receiving his Hogwarts letter to investigate.

That is just monumentally unbelievable and obviously a case of the author just not thinking. All the same, the Minds are bizarrely stumped by "magic". They don't bat an eye at Harry being able to teleport in a way they don't understand, yet they lose their shit for a moving painting? In spite of being able to measure "hyperspace" (so, magic) signals? No. This just doesn't make any sense as a whole.

There's no cohesion in the logic and this is why this is just overall bad writing.
Guest chapter 7 . 3/19/2023
Interesting reaction to the sorting hat!
I was considering a similar reaction in a story I am currently trying to put to paper.
At least Harry did not blast it last me I was considering.
Dry interesting story.
Thanks
Daemoniorum chapter 7 . 1/26/2023
I utterly loved this and would have loved if it was complete/there was more of something similar
greymanhacker chapter 7 . 1/25/2023
I think you’ll be totally awesome if you finished more of the story. This is truly something different, and I’ve been reading on here for at least 10 years.
Eldersprig chapter 2 . 12/27/2022
"The entire concept of this 'money' is very strange. Exchanging pieces of paper for food and services… I honestly don't know if I'll ever figure it out."
currency ya digbat,
and
wow the culture doesn't know what 'money' is
or may be just an eleven year old.
1,507 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »