Reviews for Culture Shock
Fredrick Bismarck chapter 7 . 3/17
I doubt this will ever be read but I have to comment on how much I enjoyed this crossover. The Culture series has been on my potential reading list, and this story has given me more impetus to pick up the series. I love the clash of cultures and the mix of technology and magic. No one is completely touted over the other, like in many stories, and they remain relatively true to the feel of its canon source, at least of harry potter, as far as I can tell. It remains to be seen if magic is just unexplained science or some supernatural force. Certainly, as it is portrayed in Rowling's books, magic has no system to it, having many contradictions, and is more directed toward wonder and whimsy than self-consistency. There seems to be some scientific phenomenon that it taps into with the mention of these "hyperspace skeins" but with no observable source. Then there are the paintings and such which are completely unexplainable to the Culture. The story points out this illogical aspects of harry potter magic without maliciously condemning it. The characterization is on point for the harry potter cast as far as i can tell. Dumbledore is use to being in control but with the best intentions. Mcgonagall is no nonsense. Snape is bitter and petty. Harry is understandably different but with glimpses of his canon self. I'm excited to see further clashes of culture just to see the reactions and interactions between characters, but its affect on the harry potter plot line should be thrilling as well. The sense of superiority and lapses in cultural relativism from the stand points of both sides should be interesting. The clashes over the concept of money and ownership is one potential source of contention. But more interesting to me and notably drawn attention to is the the concepts of sexuality, gender, attraction, and modesty. I find the fluidity and lack of taboos in the Culture concerning these concepts fascinating. I can imagine, in a post scarcity virtually utopian culture with extensive genetic and mental manipulation and enhancement, certain practices being perfectly normal. Strange but understandable, Harry is more aware, mature, and comfortable with topics on sexuality despite his age and even desires and is attracted to his mother figure. It also generally amusing to see the Minds conspire to get him to breed. Its a shame that the story appears to be abandoned. I would love to see this continue.
I wounder why Harry and Sma are so surprised to see the paintings. Yes, such that was not common in 1991, but now as I type this, I have a flat screen in front of me that might as well be bigger and occupy a wall. It is also capable of displaying moving pictures including people and producing speech. An autonomous response would be a little more surprising to me, but that is not something that is immediately obvious just from watching. In Harry's case, he has AI in his animals, not to mention the bigger ones. He is used to interacting with autonomous drones, which is more impressive than just autonomous paintings.

So the only reaction Harry should have about them should be "ok, they are a little more advanced than we thought, and they use a different kind of technology than the one we know."
Questionable Answers chapter 7 . 3/15
wow. i like
greatwork chapter 7 . 2/21
Loved the series so far. Since this is effectively abandoned, I'll probably read the Culture series.
greatwork chapter 5 . 2/21
Damn! Wouldn't want to be Dumbledore now. Loving the series so far.
Namikaze Uzumaki Potter chapter 7 . 2/17
The story is pure awesome.
I had no idea of the culture before reading this story, but now I find it interesting. I just wish that you will update the story soon as I am eagerly waiting for the next chapter.
cornholio4 chapter 7 . 2/15
Can we have snape taken down a peg soon
Boring
Sarek5959 chapter 7 . 1/22
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS CONTINUED! PLEASE!
wolfydies chapter 3 . 1/16
uncomfortable* Though, again, I do like the idea... and the writing itself is amazing.
wolfydies chapter 3 . 1/16
I'm comfortable with what I just read... umm... interesting ideas, though.
The Whimsical Ermine chapter 7 . 1/10
This is very interesting
Lord Eveningshade chapter 7 . 1/10
I Didn't really know what to expect with this fanfiction after researching the Culture. But I loved amazing. Even though it's been years since an update I hold out hope. Also loved the hat scene and the banter with the Minds
Parks98 chapter 7 . 12/14/2016
Guessing the culture isn't as great as it like to be
Parks98 chapter 1 . 12/13/2016
I don't know who these science people are but they should eventually realize is that Wizards are beings who have somehow unlocked the ability to warp reality to a degree that bypasses that laws of physics, probability, and conservative mass with just a wave of their hands (or I guess wand would be more accurate). Most people would think magic as the ability to control nature, or something else that could be explained via science but with these guys they are using their fucking will to change REALITY!
1,332 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »