Reviews for Havelock Vetinari, Flamingo and Boy
Falero lero lero chapter 1 . 6/5/2013
I like your story.
Athalanta chapter 1 . 5/4/2012
Three in the morning and I'm not coherent enough to give a review a story like this deserves so I'll just say it is very powerful and I loved every bit.
caramel729cucumber chapter 1 . 11/19/2010
Awesome! Well done :)
damsel-in-stress chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
Those little snapshots were wonderfully crafted and real insights into Vetinari's complex few words expressing such a lot!

I thought the first one was beautifully written and especially liked number five. The last one, too: "Lupine Wonse, who watched the proceedings from the hallway, was the only person to see the hunger in the man's blue eyes as he swore to defend the city, to lead the city, to be the city.

He remembered that look."

Perfect way to round it off.

Thank you for sharing this with us! :)

~Damsel
Anna Taure chapter 1 . 6/25/2010
"to defend the city, to lead the city, to be the city"

Perfect.

This was perfect.

You have Vetinari here.
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
This was really very eerie but beautifully written. A masterful piece of work!
Elsa2 chapter 1 . 9/6/2009
Great story. I loved how he challenged himself to love the city. Thanks for writing this.
Inari Shade chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
Your humor is dry and very...grim, much likr Havelock himself. Welldone.
Literary Ditch chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
That was absolute genius! I love Vetinari with a passion - and his learning to love AM as a mental exercise is a stroke of genius - although, come to think of it, you'd have to be a special kind of mad to just take a shining to it...

Perfectly done - I felt the oh-so-familiar "I-see-what-you-did-there" pride that comes from seeing Havelock's plans unfurled.

The Ditch
Akylae chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
Wonderful fic. It has Vetinari's characteristical subtlety that can easily go over one's head, but if spotted - wow.
Maggoty Anne chapter 1 . 4/24/2008
Wonderful. I don't quite get the brushing himself bit, but the plaque... Yes! He's earned it.
Virtuella chapter 1 . 3/1/2008
This is an elegant piece of prose in very good language, and it is consistent within itself. There is somethin I wonder about, but it's a lengthy thought, so I'll e-mail you about it.
TMOHzone chapter 1 . 2/11/2008
Oh, WOW. This is just wonderful-perfectly in character and well-written and everything. You've got a lot of insight into His Lordship, you do.
Estelle Tiniwiel chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Couldn't do another logged in review as have already done one...

Hey, you added a new bit! How'd you do that without losing all your reviews? First time I read it I thought it was good, but thought that "He remembered that look" didn't have as much punch as the "There was no plaque", but I'd just read the little extra bit on it's own, which I thought perhaps didn't do it justice, so I went back and read the whole thing through again. That altered the impact dramatically. The fervent emotion behind Vetinari swearing "to defend the city, to lead the city, to be the city" gave a thrill and sent shivers down my spine. This in turn meant that the last line *did* in fact have a great amount of strength, especially when you consider Wonse's actions with regards to the Patrician later in life.

I can see how your style could perhaps not be to everyone's taste, but as far as I'm concerned this is a blooming brilliant piece and you are an extremely skilled writer.

Estelle Tiniwiel -x-
adele4 chapter 1 . 1/21/2008
This is beautiful! Some parts didn't work completely for me, but I think that has more to do with some issues I have about Night Watch than with the story itself – the first three snippets border on angst, and someone I never managed to associate Vetinari with that.

I loved how you brought in his aunt; this isn't how I'd have imagined it, I think, but you see how important she is for all the parts of his life that are politics and breaking guild rules, so I like the sense of her being really different, and a surprise to him (beside, she seemed similar to Lady Margolotta in some aspects, so I've wondered if he didn't have a bit of a childhood/teenage crush on her). I liked how he isn't all that happy when she moves in, especially "and it was only because he had practiced wearing sincere expressions that he was able to greet her with a smile".

I also love how he -makes- himself love the city. And how the very first part is about him 'making the gift of silence his own." Or this line "He was dressed all in black, but no one officially paid it mind. It was, after all, to be a period of mourning."

And I really love the overall style of the story, though I couldn't explain why exactly; there are so many parts that feel chilly precisely -because- they're not very direct, if that makes any sense, and that suits the characters, imo. (Sorry, I know I'm rambling a bit.)