Reviews for The Sanity of Insanity
Anime Borat chapter 1 . 11/23/2010
Beautiful. I liked it.
Solarius Scorch chapter 11 . 10/19/2009
Right. I don't know how to say it without sounding repetitive; during the last few days, I have left a few warm comments on your various texts, as well as art pieces on Deviant Art. Still, I must say it now: this is the best thing I read from you (at least on Azumanga Daioh - I didn't read other fics as I haven't seen the original series yet). Best by far.

This story transcends the boundaries of fan fiction. As much as I appreciated seeing Azumanga Daioh characters in it, I think it would work really well as a standalone piece, with little additional work (which means you could make some money with it, yep). I'm not a connaisseur when it comes to psychological thrillers, but it really touched me very deeply with its Poe-like ambience, complex characters, and musical theme. I feel not only entertained, but also somehow enriched, which doesn't happen with your average fanfic (or even a book).

To sum up: this is a great story, please accept my deepest congratulations and thanks. Of course, the same goes to our genius composer and conductor, Aida-san. ;)

I'll be watching your profile, good sir.
INGENman chapter 11 . 8/31/2009
that was great, one of the best or the best azumanga fics i have read written eith perfection.
s1886x chapter 11 . 6/23/2009
brilliant. i'm sure that i must have said it in my previous review, but this is brilliant. i only regret that i stopped studying music years ago so there were parts i couldn't quite grasp. but the emotion was brilliant. the three main characters you expressed in an unbelievably perfect way. of the few in-depth depictions that i have seen of chihiro in stories, none has been such a realistic, down to earth, relatable, yet at the same time conforming to the role in the series character that your patient, out of the lime-light, content, sane interpretation. i do marvel how more people don't draw the sakaki/astronomy parallel in kaorin's mind. the first time i read an azumanga fanfic that starred kaorin in any semi-major role, it shone through to me all the way back from my memorioes of the series clear as day, even if the writer had not necessarily intended it. mikuru's character was amazingly fitting for the role, a pensive and caring person misunderstood beneath a stoic veneer. and i must admit that i never saw the comparison to sakaki coming, though it is a most interesting plot device: a sakaki clone deathly devoted to kaorin (a most likely under-appreciated role reversal). the fight scene, i know you said you hadn't originally planned, but it worked out to be an emotionally percolating moment. i really do love those heart-wrenching, sanity-stretching situations. i had actually expected a suicide attempt, but i suppose that would have come off as more melodramatic than the self-loathing speech that kaorin gave.

my only qualm with the story is the idea of leaving the distinction between best friend love and romantic love hanging as unimportant. i've seen writers (funari, for example) make claims that it's the strength of the bond and not the specifics that determine the nature of the relationship, and while i can appreciate the romanticism of it, i feel that the distinction does exist. to me, it matters whether the feelings that arise in chihiro at the mention of sakaki are genuine friendly concern or lover jealousy. chihiro's thoughts on her love for kaorin were deep and emotional until she dismissed them as 'not fitting into her simple, perfect world' (spot-on character extrapolation, though...sorry, i'm a mathematician). i concede that in mikaru's dream interpretation you pointed out that the interaction with kaorin need not be taken literally and i applaud such a mature understanding of psychology where most writers use such moments to imply obvious disclosure of true feelings to their readers. it may be my personal experiences giving me a bias towards the nature of love, but i do think that what they decide defines where they go from here. this story is not about sexuality, but the issue does come up in real life and no amount of artistic beauty puts these characters above that. can chihiro ever have a boyfriend again? would she want to? if the type of love that they share is such a strong bond, is there room in their hearts for outside romantic interests? also, as a side note, in the anime kaorin's affections for sakaki are made obviously and comically futile for the sake of entertainment, but here, we see that kaorin can only regain her sanity by releasing her feelings, but when they meet there is no closing nail to prove that they could truly never be. kaorin gave up on it for her own sake, but had she played her cards right at that first meeting after 15 years, could it have worked? perhaps if sakaki had had a boyfriend or was married (breaking with the azu all-girl theme, or maybe not if it were a girlfriend or wife) that would have been settled, but otherwise the resolution is only that kaorin abandoning her desires for sakaki was healthy, not necessary. to be fair, that may just be my yuri-shipping side screwing with my logic.

regardless, your plot, characters, and astounding musical expertise painted a wondrous portrayal of the descent into madness and the redeeming strength of the power of love/friendship.
s1886x chapter 6 . 6/23/2009
i do believe that you said fauna when you meant flora. other than that, masterfully written! you're clearly a well-cultured man, between the musical intricacies and the wuthering heights reference. the poetic description of the role of darkness in the human psyche was well played and had the evident genius of spontaneity. sometimes the best aspects of a story spring from momentary inspirations rather than careful planning. bravisimo
Ashmoon the Betrayer chapter 11 . 5/5/2008
Wow. Just wow. That was an amazing read. I loved it so much! You really knew what you were talking about when you described the music and stuff. I don't think I could ever create something this good, but this inspires me to write a story. There were a few typos but the story was so deep and definitely worth finishing so who cares about a few typos! Wow. I'll have to thank my best friend for even introducing me to Azumanga Daioh. It may sound kind of crazy but thank you so much for taking the time and effort to produce this enthralling piece of literature. I'm done ranting now.
Weener1 chapter 11 . 5/1/2008
Well, Jani...what a lovely mess you've made! (shakes head) No, not a mess..some genius composition of utter grace and greatness! Honestly, if I have ever read anything so professional and utterly heartbreaking (Yet, with a happy ending) it has been this. This is a Magnum Opus, without a doubt. Change the names and publish this immediately! You touched me deep down with your description of the musical performance. I would give anything to be able to actually hear it.

I congratulate you on your success in this. It is truly a perfect work. Please do write more! I crave another epic tale!

-Jay
TheoneandonlyKaorin chapter 11 . 4/26/2008
Yay! I gotz mentioneded! (sorry, my friends and I at school talk like that, it's fun!) Well, I guess that a love-confession ending would be rather cliche'd, but there aren't that many ChihiroxKaorin fics, and I like the pairing, but I did like the ending. Methinks its screaming for a sequel! (meh, wishful thinking...)

Kaorin
einootspork chapter 11 . 4/26/2008
Dude, that was EPIC. Thanks for being such an awesome writer.

...

But...

Now what? XD
Fade to Osaka chapter 11 . 4/26/2008
An epic end to one of the best fanfictions I have ever read. Just like Kaori's Requiem, this conveyed so much emotion, love, fear, anger... Although I am sad to see it come to an end, I applaud you.
Weener1 chapter 10 . 4/19/2008
Indeed, this Magnum Opus is coming quite a stupendous close...I'm quite excited to see how her performance goes!

-Jay
TheoneandonlyKaorin chapter 10 . 4/19/2008
Wow, I can't believe it has one more chapter left! I wanna see things work out for the two, and yeah, I think Chihiro really does love Kaorin romantically.
einootspork chapter 9 . 4/12/2008
That was awesome. Don't worry about the fight scene; it was very well written. The reconciliation was very sweet. The whole thing was great.

It was a good move for you to change the plot like that. Frankly, I think Sakaki-san showing up at this point in the story would just have been an unwelcome intrusion.
TheoneandonlyKaorin chapter 9 . 4/3/2008
Chihiro has no reason to say such harsh things about Sakaki, who is nice, but just very very oblivious. But I'm sure she is only saying these things so Kaorin will snap out of her obsession. People say things about the person I am obsessed with, even though that person seems to hate me, I am still obsessive (a kaorin like stalker, so to speak.) So I understand Kaorin's pain.

I wuld love to see Chihiro and Kaorin together, evrn though i am a fan of Kaorin and Sakaki, Kaorin with Chihiro is, nomatter how you look at it, is the more realistic pairing.
Fade to Osaka chapter 9 . 3/31/2008
Wow, I guess all the tension finally exploded. It was a very well-written fight scene. The stuff after that between Kaori and Chihiro was really sweet. I am excited to see how this turns out.