Reviews for Be Not Proud
ThirteenLumen chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
In the show the only victims of Dexter's that Dexter dismembers, before he kills, is one of men that killed his mother. In books, by Jeff Lindsay, Dexter seems to "specialize" in serial-child-rapist killers. And he always tortures and dismembers his victims before he kills them. It's no surprise that the Dexter books are far more gruesome than when it's brought to the screen.

I don't get it when Doakes says the number forty six. Can explain that to me?

I know Doakes is shocked into silence in this scene, but I'd like for him and Dexter to have more of a conversation. In the show, right before this scene takes place, Dexter says to Doakes, "You were Special Ops. I'm sure you have done this." I always wanted that bit of conversation more elaborated on. In the show they seemed dismissive of that point Dexter makes.
Author of Doom Rin chapter 1 . 4/25/2013
Is it bad that I enjoyed the killing scene?
Because of the quality of your story I have chosen to recommend it on my recblog LitGlut.
.com. Thank you for your writing!
Kudos,
SensibleRin.
mas1994 chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Nice. There need to be more stories with Doakes!
the Leander chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
This is great. Funny and horrific; very Dexter indeed. I love how you write in a way that brings to mind the original Dexter books, but use show canon (which I personally prefer over the book-canon, though there are some wonderful, wonderful things in the book.) It's great how this really brings to mind just how horrific what Dexter does is, how psychopathic he really is. Usually we're cheering for him and don't really think about the way he chops up his victims into neat little pieces, so it was... refreshing. XD;
WalkInEternity chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
Love this. Totally Dexter. Poor Doakes.
Fire From Above chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
You did a great job portraying the care and feelings for Dexter during a kill.
Angelfirenze chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
This is just such a perfect AU. Dexter and Doakes' scenes together in the cabin have become my favorite that I've seen so far and you just seem to have a talent for taking what we've seen onscreen and LENGTHENING IT, making it absolutely perfect in unexpected ways considering that we're under the impression that what we've seen so far can't be surpassed.

Look at you, proving us wrong!
Barranca chapter 1 . 5/11/2009
It's a bit difficult to imagine Doaks being that accommodating and silent behind that wall of plastic, but I guess he's just awestruck...
DangerousDiamondDarling chapter 1 . 10/5/2008
Once again well done :D
Char-chan chapter 1 . 9/2/2008
oh yes! now that's the way to dismember a criminal, heheh.

great job! loved it ;D
A Very Neat Monster chapter 1 . 8/13/2008
Very nicely done! It fits really well into what we see of the scene on the show. I also like seeing a little more of Doakes's reactions to the entire situation.

As a side note: I always find this scene so intriguing every time I watch it. I think the audience (or I, at least) gets somewhat lulled into taking the fact of Dexter's killing for granted, but, every time I see Doakes's reaction to the sound when Dexter starts, it reminds me that what is unfolding is actually really horrifying. I still love Dexter (obviously!), but I think it's a very powerful and unsettling moment. So it's interesting to see it explored further, and to see more of the contrast between Dexter and Doakes's ideas about what is justifiable and unjustifiable.

Also, I think I was probably more amused by this line than I should have been: "I can't help it, though. Some people like golf. Some people like sushi. Some people like watching other people die."
DarkWriter00 chapter 1 . 7/7/2008
This was very well written. It's like you got to meet the director or whomever and gotten permission to write out this one-shot. XD

Everything fit. This was just awesome. :) *faves*
mike91848 chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
Very good. You went through a kill quite nicely. Good writing style.
Chuthulupenguin chapter 1 . 6/4/2008
You capture Dexter so well, it's somewhat creepy. One thing that the show kinda glosses over is why he kills - sure, he's a sociopath, he needs to feel something, he watched his mother as she was murdered...but it doesn't go into the mind of Dexter as he's doing these things, as you just did. He likes to watch people die. It's great to get such a complete perspective on the serial killer we all know and love. My only criticism is I could swear that he started on Harlow with some kind of drill...but I suppose it could have been a saw that he cut the hand off with.
yayme2012 chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
I love this. I really do. I love all your Dexter pieces, so much it's scary. They're addicting and lovely and funny and fun...

And right.

I read plenty of fics that are great, but yours really have heart. And feeling.

Hope this entices you to write at least ONE more Dexter fic...

This is probably my third favorite. Nothing can top Something is Cracking or Water Through a Rusted Pipe.

Prove me wrong.