Reviews for A Bowl of Mushrooms
steepedinwords chapter 1 . 3/1/2012
As a mushroom-lover, I loved this story. Oh, and I'm really, REALLY craving mushrooms now - thanks a lot. :)

Good job.
Aki no Ryu chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
Totally cute story! Good job!
jewelledhunter chapter 1 . 4/29/2008
Been a while since this story was posted, but I'm going through your stories steadily. Absolutely sweet and Elboron's awe is quite reasonable, but both the hobbits are amazing: hilarious and perfectly in character.

(BTW, the mushrooms sound very tasty. Shall have to go see if I can get some of my own! )
szepilona10 chapter 1 . 2/4/2008
I so do like this story! Go mushrooms!
Taima1 chapter 1 . 1/22/2008
HA! I loved it. I think you did the hobbits just right. :) Thanks!
Haarajot chapter 1 . 1/15/2008
I enjoyed your story too. Well written! A convincing 8 year old and convincing hobbits. I like Elboron's view towards the hobbits, one having saved his mother's life, the other his father's. I never realised that before!
Laura Schiller chapter 1 . 1/14/2008
"Culinary people" ?

LOL! All three of them are so funny!
Violin Ghost chapter 1 . 1/4/2008
I'm sorry for "reviewing" my own story, but it was the only place I could think of to answer the anonymous reviews I've received.

To Ranchi Blade: Thank you for your kind review.

To eiluj: Thank you very much for your extremely helpful review. I've corrected the "sugared hams" mistake; thank you for pointing out. And thank you for clearing the hobbits' ages up!
eiluj chapter 1 . 1/3/2008
Lovely! You write hobbits quite well: more, please!

An amusing typo: "The servant continued to put platters down on the table, laying a plate of sugared *hams* beside Pippin, who eyed them hungrily." A plate of "hams" would contain more than one ham ("a cut of meat consisting of a thigh; especially: one from a hog"), either whole or sliced. The idea of two hobbits (even with the aid of an eight-year-old boy) having *finished* two hams (after all, Pippin carried off the "last sliver") just a few minutes after the servant put the platter on the dining table: hungry hobbits indeed! “A plate of sugared ham” or “a plate of sugared ham slices” might work well instead.

Elboron’s thank-you to the cooks was priceless.

Handy-dandy hobbit age tutorial: Frodo was born in 1368. His parents died when he was twelve: 1380. Merry was born two years later: 1382. Pippin was born 8 years after that: 1390 (exactly 100 years after Bilbo). That was one year after Bilbo had adopted Frodo (when Bilbo was 99, so either late 1389 or early or mid-1390; Frodo would have been 21 or nearly 22). According to the family tree, Sam was born the same year Frodo's parents died, so he's two years older than Merry. The Fellowship left in 1418, when Pippin was 28 (it was early in 1419 that he told Bergil he was nearly 29) - but you already remember that one.

[In Appendix B’s Timeline, Sam’s birth date is three years earlier than on the Gamgee family tree (the same date as Faramir). I once asked a friend’s opinion about that. She pointed out that *hobbits* made the family trees, so the data there is more likely to be accurate! So I go with the older date for Sam: two years older than Merry, rather than one year younger than Merry.]

Another place to find birthdates is the Encyclopedia of Arda: w. glyphweb arda/

Aha! And the E of A says the 1383 birthdate for Sam has been changed to 1380 in the newest editions.

Write on!
Deandra chapter 1 . 1/3/2008
Fun tale, and yes I think you did very well with the Hobbits! Except, now I'm hungry for mushrooms!

- Deandra
Ranchi Blade chapter 1 . 1/3/2008
a nice story and I think that yo did the hobbits justice
MerrytheHobbit chapter 1 . 1/3/2008
Very nice! I really enjoyed this!