Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Ravenclaw Codex
Sean Mulligan chapter 7 . 9/16/2009
I'm suprised that Holmes and Watson weren't more suprised by the fact that Hogwarts was coeducational. That should have been shocking to their Victorian sensibilities.
borsic chapter 14 . 3/3/2008
Hi there,

I just wanted you to know that I enjoyed your story immensly - I expressively registered to be able to leave this review. I think you capture the style of A.C. Doyle very well, and it was nice to read about Hogwarts from the perspective of a no-nonsense muggle.

Boris
kmfrank chapter 1 . 2/7/2008
Well,

I must say that mysteries, even the venerable literature of Sir Doyle, are not my preference. That said, you have done an extraordinary job on this story. I applaud your astonishing grasp of Victorian English and your study of Doyle. I also enjoyed the persona of Headmaster Black.

Very well done,

-Kevin
excessivelyperky chapter 14 . 1/27/2008
I would have been more careful with the bottles if I had been Holmes . Other than that, he is quite right. What wizards develop is for their kind only, and not for the benefit of Muggles, at least not in Britain and what appears to be most of Wizarding Europe. I like to think things are a little different in the States, as a wizard or witch would only have to move to Los Angeles or Las Vegas to escape notice entirely. One need only pose as a stage magician or special effects artist, and one could easily explain an awful lot of stuff. Or simply dress up like Sybil Trelawney and live in San Francisco or Santa Fe, and be lost in the mob!

Very good story-perhaps we may have another such adventure later on?
excessivelyperky chapter 13 . 1/26/2008
Hurrah for O'Connell, a Slytherin and an Irishman (which means an Irishman who will survive and confront the English another day). One suspects that he will do well in the future, provided Black doesn't look beyond House affiliation and eliminate a possible rival early on.

So, Holmes is up to something...
excessivelyperky chapter 12 . 1/26/2008
Ah. I had thought better of the Headmaster, but such was not to be. Shame on him!

The Absent Stag Beetle, eh?
excessivelyperky chapter 11 . 1/26/2008
"I suspect it has been over-wound.”-I suspect it's not only the Headmaster's watch that Holmes is talking about. A surprising revelation, indeed! And yet...I suspect there is a very interesting explanation that does not paint the headmaster as Black as he appears (ok, I'm just an old softy when it comes to Slytherins...).
Jearom chapter 14 . 1/23/2008
Absolutely wonderful story, a tribute to the Holmes tradition!
Cat Feral chapter 1 . 1/20/2008
"Weaselby"? *sporfle!* a little blast from the future, there?

“Mr Holmes?” he said. “Though to be sure, I would have known you anywhere – you are the very image of your brother.” Huh?

I'm eager to find out why Holmes is being so hostile!
excessivelyperky chapter 10 . 1/20/2008
Aha! Poor Godfrey, how sad for him-and why, pray tell, must he walk? Can he not be levitated along the way to the Night Mail station? _Mobilicorpus_ can be a friend, when not used maliciously (oh, say, to bonk a concussed man's head along a wall). Are any of the students well-versed enough to conjure a stretcher, or a chair or some sort?

Good chapter!
excessivelyperky chapter 9 . 1/20/2008
I think Watson is a trifle wiser in the Forbidden Forest than Holmes is; one doesn't know what may encounter in a magical wood, after all. Very good chapter, and glad they found Godfrey.
excessivelyperky chapter 8 . 1/20/2008
Aha! (you know, I always wondered while watching ENTERPRISE about that kind of thing-it was clear that Porthos the beagle could smell the enemy aliens whose names I do not recall-why wasn't the beagle put on Bad Alien Patrol each day?).

Good hunting, Holmes!
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 1/19/2008
Ah, those impetuous cleaners! I think Holmes will have an interesting time interviewing the house elves-though it would be to his advantage to recruit them as well. As for the students, at least some seem eager to assist.

Good chapter.
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 1/19/2008
Yes, Watson would make a splendid Hufflepuff, while for Holmes there is absolutely no question about his house.

As for the Codex, a pureblood wizard or witch of sufficient subtlety _would_ use physical means, if magical ones did not work, and if he or she wished a Muggleborn to be blamed.

Nice chapter!
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 1/19/2008
'drawn by a horse so deeply muffled against the mild chill in the air that it was practically invisible.'-although both Holmes and Watson have seen enough death to be able to see thestrals, this was a reasonable precaution.

Neat introduction to Hogwarts and byplay with the others, too.
86 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »