Reviews for Cry for Hyrule
DocRetcon chapter 12 . 9/22/2020
I read this classic recently and thought it only appropriate to give my praises. For whatever they're worth over a decade later, anyway.
Now, I will say for this story that it suffers somewhat from whitewashing Ganondorf a bit too much and that the king comes off as a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
But I don't think those matter in the grand scheme of things. This wasn't a story about moral complexities. It had charming dialogue, a lot of fun ideas connecting OoT and WW, and lacked any air of pretentiousness. And that's all it needed to be, all I was ever really looking for. Tis a shame that this did not inspire more stories concerning Ganondorf in Wind Waker. I believe it's still the best depiction of the character to date. Good on you for seeing the potential in him.
Tifeo chapter 12 . 3/4/2019
As with only the best Zelda fics, the highest praise I can offer is "I wish this was canon."

This was fantastically written from stat to finish. The narrative flowed cohesively, the character motivations and interactions were entirely realistic (barring one scene with Zelda and Ganondorf trolling Komali), and the story remained compelling from start to finish. The lack of grammatical errors is always great plus, too.

While I did see it coming, you wrote out Daphnes' piece in the story extremely well. I'm also amazed at how much thought you put into Ganondorf as a character, I would love to see you try a take on him in other titles, something introspective in this style.

Overall, phenomenal read. Your place in the fanfic recommendation on the Zelda TvTropes is very well-deserved.
TheLampOfHyrule chapter 12 . 7/2/2018
This story was amazing. While at first I didn't really like the way the characters were portrayed, such as the King of Red Lions being more impatient and deceptive than in the game, by the end, I really loved the way he was portrayed. Also, this is an excellent bridge between the two games, and it feels that it could potentially be canon, it was that good, to me at least. As my first proper fanfiction that I have read, it was brilliant
Alyss Penedo chapter 12 . 2/26/2018
Not the ending I was expecting at all -in fact, this whole tale was a bit of a wild ride- but very, very satisfying regardless.
Guest chapter 2 . 10/17/2017
Reason why Ganondorf stayed where he was throughout the entire game.
TacoKing23 chapter 12 . 10/2/2015
Okay, I teared up a little at the ending. I thought it a little odd that there was no indication of what happened to Nabooru earlier, but now I get it. This was a great story, and I'm glad to have found it.
TacoKing23 chapter 11 . 10/2/2015
I cannot find the words to express how I feel about this chapter. I never would have expected to feel bad for that guy.
TacoKing23 chapter 10 . 10/2/2015
Wow. I mean, I was suspecting it, but I had no clue his involvement ran this deep. Daaaaaark.
TacoKing23 chapter 4 . 10/2/2015
Dude, this story is incredibly interesting. Seeing Ganondorf as something other than the straight-up King of Evil is so strange, but so interesting. It's been years since I played the game, but this is making me want to dig it back out.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/17/2015
This was an awesome story, and the kind of satisfying closure that I had hoped for through the game.
LeonaWriter chapter 12 . 3/23/2015
I found this story earlier today, from someone who'd illustrated one of the scenes. I have to say that I'm so glad I did. I kept gushing over how well written it is, how I kept giggling at silly scenes - mainly at the irony of things, especially early on. I loved everyone's reactions to Ganondorf, especially when they didn't realise that he was right there! Also, not LEAST, I absolutely adored how you made each and every character come to life completely three dimensionally. Ganondorf is exactly how I'd imagine him - driven, often by revenge, but it's the Triforce of Power that drove him to his worst acts. And the EMOTION in the scenes where he's dealing with the flooding as it happens, and later on as well, was just beautiful. Not to mention that Daphnes was scarily believable. He thought himself the hero. And I was incredibly moved by both Ganondorf being able to see his homeland for the first time in so, so long - and also the Gerudo descendants finding it later, with his help. I loved all of this.
Firefury Amahira chapter 12 . 3/2/2015
Oh wow. I found this fic on the recommended fics page over on TVTropes, and this is a beautifully rendered alternate universe version of the events in Wind Waker. The writing is great, the story pacing is excellently handled, and I really love the added depth to characters you created; especially Ganondorf. Wind Waker was probably one of the most sympathetic portrayals of the Big Bad in the entire franchise, and you ran with it beautifully. I mean, that epilogue teared me up and that doesn't happen often!

So glad I binged through the entire story in one night, even though it's now waaaaaay past my bedtime. :D
Nathaniabp chapter 12 . 1/31/2015
Okay, wow, first off, I'm so glad i found this fic, thank the goddesses. I absolutely love every bit of this retelling of Wind Waker. (well, maybe except of the prospect of Link being killed by Daphnes, but an author's gotta do what an author's gotta do, even if it meant killing an important character with someone of lesser power than them.) The pacing was great, i love how you potray the characters, it gives them a new depth of personality, especially Ganondorf. This also makes sense in a lot of ways. Though this kinda ruined my view on Daphnes, I try hard to remind myself that this is an AU, but it's just so real i can see it! Though, as a reviewer, i must be fair and discuss some faults. For starters, this isn't all that historically correct, because the Hero of Time "vanished" as in literally vanished from earth, by going back in time at the end of his quest, thus creating an alternate universe of a world with the mission finished, but the hero is nonexistent in that realm. Time passed, and for some reason, Ganon returned, but because the hero was sent back to the past, nobody is stopping him. So he couldn't be killed if he was nonexistent. also, the sages exist in a different realm ever since that quest, so they couldn't be killed either. but again, this is an AU retelling, so anything can happen. Overall, this is the best retelling of Wind Waker I've seen so far, and I'm very happy i found this. great job, man.
The Iridian Stanza chapter 12 . 8/1/2014
This... Yeah, this is how Wind Waker should have gone.
MsNegative24 chapter 12 . 3/7/2014
OH MY GOD THIS STORY WAS BRILLIANT SIMPLY BRILLIANT I AM BEAMING RIGHT NOW LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Really this story is great and gives a whole new twist on Wind Waker which was a powerful story as it was. And I love that you restored Hyrule. I always held a hope in my heart that Hyrule could be restored in that game, that the empty lands of golden Gamecube quality beauty could be inhabited once more and restored to its former glory AND YOU DID THAT! This was really wonderful, and I love love love it to no end! You made Ganondorf a very powerful and moving character as well. I loved his story and the hardships which he and his people faced during the flood. Daphnes pissed me off though... Now I'm going to hold resentment for him in that video game whenever I play it because of this! But that's not such a big deal :P

ANYWAY I loved the story and I plan to check out more of your stories if you have them! LOVED IT!