Reviews for Harry Potter and the Sword of the Hero
Neumzie chapter 20 . 9/23/2009
ok, harry and remus seriously need to hug it out. it would help
Neumzie chapter 17 . 9/21/2009
awesome! and easy to follow along, too! sometimes the intensity gets lost when unfamilar or vague settings move to quickly
Neumzie chapter 15 . 9/21/2009
hermoine IS of age at christmas time. her birthday is in september. they mention it in the 3rd book, plus she was old enough to take her apparation exam in the 6th book. shes already 17...

...

harr doesnt even realize that that speech from Independence Day applies to the wizarding world, by all accounts. "the day the entire earth fought back. the day we did not go silently into the good night."...

...

i dont trust the grandmother, i rally dont. she takes to muchinterest in harry. imposter...maybe. maybe im just paranoid lol
Neumzie chapter 12 . 9/20/2009
ok, harry hasnt been working out for several months, so im assuming that he lost all that nice definition; that shit doesnt just stay forever. you have to keep it there
Neumzie chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
wow, i loved the proverb in the beginning! it sounded like it came from a well written collage essay or something.
HPreader chapter 6 . 9/14/2009
hm... i have a feeling that "Ethan Rafe" is Tom Riddle I... anyway, AMAZING STORY by the way... it's different from what i read so far... Keep it up!
Lerris chapter 31 . 8/28/2009
Although the writing is basically good, this is perhaps too much in the mold of a classic story about a hero's struggles. The trend is quite familiar, and it even reminded me a bit of Dragonball Z, in that just when you think the bad guy should lose, it is only a reset for the next arc in the story.

I suppose one troubling thing in the story is the blind faith they put in a vague prophesy, so much so that it is self fulfilling. After all if everyone believes it is impossible to stop the dark lord, then no one even tries. Personally, I'd think if you could get enough aurors to sustain anti apparation and portkey wards, then a few dozen cruise missiles should do the job, or one nuclear, if you are truly desperate. Of course those aurors would die in the fireball, but then that might be a small sacrifice compared to letting things go on.

In the end I suppose the biggest disappointment I have seen in Harry Potter fanfiction of late is there are too many stories about Voldemort and Harry, most of which have cliche evil and all the rest. There are so many other stories that can be told. For instance, I read a crossover awhile back with the sci-fi story Serenity that was quite compelling, and it had nothing to do with Voldemort.. Of course one thing I haven't seen is an alternate retelling where Voldemort actually stays dead...
Materia-Blade chapter 31 . 8/20/2009
... There are no words that can express my awe...

Well done.

I haven't cried at a story in years...

Bravo... bravo...

With all the honor I can give.

Materia-Blade chapter 16 . 8/19/2009
This story is magnificent.

Considering some of the stories in the Harry Potter section that have 'thousands' of reviews, I don't understand how this story has so few. It should have billions.

Your contingency for the epic is outclassed only by authors long dead to the past, and your skill is marvelous. Each chapter grows more rich and every passing word makes me believe in this world you've concocted.

A world resting on the point of a sword, the brink of destruction, and you make us 'feel' every instance of it.

Add to that, the sense of building that you create with every chapter. Forcing the prophecy into significance that no other fic can compare with. This is what I think of when i think "The Power the Dark Lord Knows Not"

This, is what I wanted from J.K. Rowling.

God... this is a story.

This... this is a masterpiece.

I'm on the edge of my seat, and I don't think i'll be leaving that edge for days yet to come.

Thank you, sincerely.

Materia-Blade chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
Okay... you have stroked my epic gland. Now lets see if you can carry through.

If this first chapter is any indication, I believe you will.

Ja!

ghostchicken chapter 31 . 8/4/2009
I cried through this whole chapter, but I know Harry will return-bigger and badder-ass than ever. Why? Because one must die at the hands of the other; neither can live while the other survives. Voldemort didn't kill Harry; Harry gave himself to...what? Death and rebirth?

I'm going to go find the sequels now.

GOOD JOB!
ghostchicken chapter 30 . 8/3/2009
I'm speechless. I made it through the whole chapter and I am in TEARS! Tears, I tell you! WELL DONE!
ghostchicken chapter 26 . 8/3/2009
Now you've done it. You made me cry. I hope Harry realizes soon that Ginny is the power the dark tosser knows not.

Good job!
ghostchicken chapter 21 . 8/2/2009
Wow. I was sad to lose Ethan. He was trying to do the right thing and he did. It just cost him his life. I'm thoroughly intrigued by that dagger, though, and the runes on it that Voldemort couldn't read. Are they Native American, maybe? Just a guess.

Harry just can't catch a break, but with these new teachers and the new course work, it appears his fortunes may be turning. Sirius' money and properties were nice, but for Harry, he'd rather have the benefactor than the benefits. That's just who Harry is, but for Remus, it's almost a new lease on life.

Speaking of Remus-the last Marauder (discounting the Rat), it's breaking his heart to have to watch Harry go through this. Everyone keeps telling the boy that he ISN'T alone, that there are people who love him and care for him and would walk the corridors of Hell for him. We'll see who the stalwarts really are when things get really nasty. The fan girls and boys will run for cover, but the real friends will stand with him, especially Ginny.

That said...

You're having another recurring problem with "to," "too," and "two." They are not interchangeable. "To" indicates location or referral or intention. "Too" indicates "also" or "very." "Two" is the number that falls between one and three.

You also share a common writing issue with "'s." The correct usage of 's is as a possessive or a contraction for (blank) is. That wand is Harry's; the chess set is Ron's. Hermione's going to the library. NEVER is the apostrophe to be used for a plural, including next to letters or numbers. 10s, Bs, balls, cats, dogs, rabbits, books, wands, shirts, pants, dresses, buses-NO APOSTROPHE.

Sometimes it's difficult to know when to use 's or s'. Simple. Harry and Remus went to Gringotts to hear Sirius' will. The apostrophe falls after the 's' because the name/word ends with an 's.' I could go into a diatribe about collective singulars, but I'll just use a couple of examples: women's (belonging to women), men's (belonging to men), people's (belonging to people), and children's (belonging to children). Hogwarts is not a possessive or plural and neither is Gringotts.

The exception to this rule is the difference between "its" and "it's." In this case, the possessive is "its," but "it's" is "it is." It's often difficult to decipher the English language and all of its inconsistencies.

Lecture over for this chapter. GOOD JOB!
ghostchicken chapter 12 . 8/1/2009
Excellent story so far. I've been so enthralled, I've just kept reading. However, you have a recurring usage problem that's finally cracked my English Major's nut. You're confusing "passed" and "past." It's a common thing, though, so no worries. For example:

"Passed" is the past-tense of "pass." While walking to work the other day, I passed an old woman pushing a baby carriage with a cat in it.

"Past" is a point in time and consciousness. Don't dwell on the past and lose your future. You have to get past your anger in order to move on in your life.

Another common one you've got in this chapter is "baited" and "bated." For example:

"Baited" is about lures.

I baited my hook and cast my line, hoping for a good catch for breakfast.

Malfoy's just baiting Harry with his snide comments to get him to draw his wand.

"Bated" is about holding one's breath.

He watched with bated breath as his sister slowly picked her way across the rotting log to the other side of the stream.

Otherwise, this is fantastic! I shall read on.
455 | « Prev Page 1 .. 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 .. Last Next »