Reviews for Every Other Midnight
Just finished your story. The writing was good, and I enjoyed the characterization of every character... Except Lily. Dare I say it. I won't call her a 'Mary Sue' because you did manage to capture her basic personality (intelligent, persistent, caring, witty etc) well. However I detested her ability to create spells and potions. I feel this way because creating spells and potions was something that was only addressed in the book once, in the Half-Blood Prince, and there were very few. Because of this I believe that creating spells and potions is a very uncommon occurance in the wizarding world. Even if Lily did do this (and I imagine she would have the capability to do it) I believe that it would take her more than just a single night to create it (as your potion example earlier in the fic suggests). I also doubt Lily's magic abilities. Yes, I do think she is someone who is above average, but I believe that to be a product of hard work and natural talent rather than her having abilities closer to Dumbledore and Voldemort, because I think then she would have been able to hold Voldemort off on the 31st of October 1981. I just can't imagine her having the ability to use non-verbal wand less magic, something which very very very few people can do in the series, especially complex spells. I also felt like the addition of Mercury was unnecessary, and incredibly unlikely in theory. Your characterization of Lily almost seemed like you had put her on a pedistal on which she can look down on all the other characters as the ultimate symbol of purity, power and perfection. Aside from that, I adored your characterization of James. He was excellent, an you could through his current personality what he would have been like in his youth. I thought overall, your story was excellent, and I will likely read again.
TechnicolorSock chapter 83 . 11/23
I swallowed your story in one gigantic gulp. I pretended I had to pee as an excuse to go into another room and read more of it. This is, without question, the best Maurauders Era fic I have ever come across. Because that's what it is- right? Not an L/J fic. Though may I add, the bits of romance you do write are quite good.
I really enjoyed the way you fleshed out the ministry's descent into blood based corruption. I was particularly impressed by all of the tiny details about the ME that you combed out of the seven books and worked into the story. But I must say, the crowning glory of your story is Sirius and Severus. Two of my favorite characters as I have never seen them before. Your portrait of Severus, especially- absolutely heartbreaking, terribly wonderful. I can see that you last posted an update in May- having read your author's notes, I can only suppose that you lead an extraordinarily interesting life. However, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that I really, really would like more of this to read.
Delightful! I hope to read more soon. Best of luck to you.
jameselvendork1123 chapter 83 . 11/19
so I just read The Picture of Dorian Grey, and partway through chapter 1 I was like, 'Lord Henrey Wotton *really* reminds me of someone', and then I realized he's exactly like Sirius Black in this fic. it's like your Sirius is a perfect blend of Lord Henrey's personality and Dorian's good looks - actually I feel like a lot of fans thought Ben Barnes should have played Sirius in the films, just aged a bit, and he played Dorian Grey in the film. I'm curious - was this book your inspiration for him? and if you haven't read The Picture of Dorian Grey yet, read it and you'll see what I mean. it's uncanny.

please update soon!
BonaFake chapter 83 . 11/17
I loved this story! It's incredibly well written, probably one of the best things I've ever read on here, and the plot is engrossing. Personally, I love Sirius and Lily's characterization. I feel like the Marauder generation doesn't get enough credit and this story is my new personal canon for that era. My one criticism would be that I didn't feel that Lily's and James reaction to her miscarriage was really intense enough. After all they had gone through with keeping secrets, it seemed odd that James wasn't mad about it. Regardless, I adored this story, the characters, the richness of the plot, and your writing. I can't wait to read more!
fishertowers chapter 83 . 11/9
I'm in love with this story! It took me all summer to read, but the last week or so, I've been able to read a lot more. (And today was a snow day, so I got to polish off the last two chapters) I am so impressed with your storytelling. Normally when, I read something over time, I generally have to repeat a few chapters and refresh my memory, but that wasn't necessary here

Your writing is brilliant, and you catch some great character dynamics here.

Lily totally isn't Mary Sue, and I love her. She is well rounded, and has a great capacity for emotion and empathy. It's one of my favorite things about her

I almost ship Sirius and lily, the way you write them. And I love that you didn't make Peter automatically evil, as so many do. That's what makes what happen to him so sad- he *was* their friend.

Anyways, marvelous story- I'm so glad I read it.
AshleyRO chapter 83 . 10/20
So my flatmate told me to read your fic and it took me a few weeks (because a) it's hella long (no complaints whatsoever though) and b) uni is horrible) but it is possibly (definitely) my new favourite fic and I can't wait for the next update!
MoreEOM chapter 83 . 10/19
Oh my gosh I just reread all 83 chapters, this is amazing and I need more! Please and Thankyou heart:)
I am Hello There chapter 81 . 10/18
It's been nearly three years since I last reviewed...and then I came back to find that there were three new chapters! You can't imagine my surprise and delight to see them. For some reason, all those years ago, I stopped getting the email updates from EOM, so I thought you had left on one of your terrific adventures again.

My husband and I brought up EOM the other day, and I've been thinking about it ever since. I don't know how frequently you check these reviews, or your private messages for that matter, but I'm going to start over from the beginning, and when I catch up, I'll post a review of this chapter (it may take me a while: I've got a baby now).

I'm so glad to see that you're doing well, and that you're still chugging away at EOM. Did you ever write that book? I'll be checking!

As always,
Hello There
Frydolina chapter 83 . 10/15
I really enjoyed reading your story up until this point! Your writing is very intelligent and I love that you explore the lose ends J. has left open for her reader to fill! All in all, my favorite story on this platform so far! My deepest respect for you and your talent as a writer!
I think this was one of your best chapters yet! Won't spoil in case someone hasn't read through to the most recent chapter but that last scene was heartbreaking. I love this so much and wait eagerly for your next update. You've created a wonderful story and beautifully developed characters.
Honestly, I don't normally read the A/Ns but
I never have really rewiewed because I have been reading. It's an excellent story that I actually got in trouble cause I zoned out and my teacher thought I was on my phone instead of reading. I told him so and he didn't believe me. I guess when you get into a good story you zone out everything. I'm sure everyone struggles with the "I'm reading not on my phone" or maybe it's just me. Please
Don't stop writing it however long it may be. It can't stop now! Keep writing. There are thousands out there waiting for the next chapter.
thylluan chapter 83 . 10/4
It took me, literally, years to write you a proper review... I am deeply ashamed! Sorry for this delay.
I had found your fic years ago and since then, I've returned to it a few times. Whenever I read your story it mesmerises me and inspires many emotions: from awe, laughter, and amusement to 'negative' ones like anger, anxiety, and sadness.
I love how you portray characters - you don't write that someone is funny, you actually make them funny. All of them are genuine, authentic, vibrant and alive! I admire your creation of Sirius even though it's mainly Lily's story. His inner turmoil, questionable actions and relationship with Evans and Marauders... And all those Welsh parts! I've been learning this language before starting to read your story and it makes me love it even more!
I must admit that I've read many fanfics before and your writing was really great, probably the best I saw here. I always found new interesting words to learn in every chapter (English is not my first language) and I absolutely appreciate this vocabulary richness.
I love the Marauders era and always wanted to read prequel book written by JKR. But right now I'm not so sure about canon version... I mean, I probably would love it, no matter what but your version, however idealised (James portrayed as an auror, just like his father, etc. vs. news from Rowling on twitter or pottermore), filled that empty space reserved for marauders generation.

When I'm reading your authors notes one quote comes to my mind...
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”
Thank you for this story, I'm absolutely enthralled by it! I hope there will be another chapter (this time I make sure to review it).
All the best!
Im still reading
This is the best fanfic I've ever read! The characters are incredible and the plot is amazing! This is my second time reading it and I still cry and giggle to myself throughout the story, please continue to update!
4,549 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »