Reviews for Rites of Passage
YesIEatQuiche chapter 2 . 3/26/2012
This story has such potential! I too enjoyed DWJ's development of Christopher and I wish there were more Millie/Christopher scenes in the book

So I realize you haven't updated in 4 years, but if you do still have inspiration for this story you should continue it - I promise to read and review

I'll put this on story alert just in case. Even if you don't go back, this is such a wonderful/interesting plot and I applaud you for it xD

YIEQ
Ariana Deralte chapter 2 . 8/12/2008
This is quite interesting, and I think you've got a good grasp of Christopher's character. Looking forward to more.
Ara Catin chapter 2 . 8/2/2008
I know it's been a few months, but if you felt like updating this story, that'd be quite fantastic! It's nice to see Christopher in the middle years between being quite young and being married. You have your own voice in this but you manage to capture the characters quite faithfully. I'd love to read more if you feel like writing more!
sKribe chapter 2 . 7/1/2008
Ah... suspense )

Quite well written. I hope you continue soon
smallrose chapter 2 . 4/3/2008
Wow, this is pretty good. I like your explanation for Chrestomanci's garden. Update Soon!
Araminta18 chapter 2 . 2/2/2008
Another chapter-yea! I have to tell you though, I was rather disappointed when Millie turned out to be not Millie, especially because the realization in Christopher's mind that Millie wasn't Millie was not very clear. I was a little confused about that, because there didn't seem to be any reason for Christopher to suspect that Millie wasn't Millie. I thought that recognizing the signature was just regarding the odd world they were in. But other than that, this was a wonderful chapter, with some great lines! I love these: "proving that he could indeed be a gentleman when he put his mind to it"; "a shake of her head that made her brown hair bob in a way so like Millie’s that Christopher was all of a sudden quite homesick"; "She has no right, he thought to himself, to wear Millie’s face as if it were her own"; "Neither the girl not the woman looked the least bit surprised. And that was, Christopher thought, all the more infuriating." You have the characterization for this young Christopher down pat-it's wonderful! Thank you-and I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter. :)
Araminta18 chapter 1 . 2/2/2008
Yea for Chrestomanci stories-especially those that focus on Christopher and Millie. I love them, and am always grateful to see a story that focuses on them. I just wanted to tell you that you have a wonderful turn of phrase-"a never-ending string of unfinished moments;" "his eyes focused sharply on her face with more intensity, she realized, than he rarely gave anything else" and others that I forgot. I am so excited to continue this story-thank you!
S Finch chapter 2 . 2/1/2008
I've read a few similar stories to this, and at first dismissed yours because of it. By similar I mean that the basic plot consists of Christopher being whisked off to some other world to help so-and-so against his will. The ones I have read have been severely disappointing, but considering that there is not an awful lot of Chrestomanci fic available, I decided to read yours regardless.

I was glad I sucked up my prejudices, because even though it hasn't gotten into very much detail yet, your story was quite refreshing. It wasn't merely trying (and failing) to be epic and mysterious, or adventurous and thrilling. I'm going to have to keep up with it. Your characterization of Christopher was enjoyable and true to the character.

And because you mentioned the part about Kyoto being longer than you expected, I liked that part. Whether or not it has any relevance as the story continues, it was interesting and not too lengthy that it simply became a dull and winded story within a story.

I'm a bit tired, so I'm sorry if some of what I say sounds stupid. I'm just glad to find an interesting story in the fandom because it needs more love. Please update as soon as you can. I will be waiting happily.
FlaviusD chapter 2 . 2/1/2008
I just love this story. I was wondering why Christopher was like that with Millie, I actually let out a sign when I found out it wasn't her. I really hope she will step in soon, I really like her. Even if she seems nice in the later books, but when she was young she was lively and quite independent.
mooncancer chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
Hey,

I'm so glad I found this. Personally, I rather adored young Christopher as well and didn't like Cat nearly as much. I'd love to see how this plays out. Good job on the first chapter.

lily
Lup chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
I must say this is a good story. And I'm glad people noticed the lack of Christopher/ Millie stories ( I must say I'm not a fan of Chris/Con) I always try to find more stories with C/M and I can say I've read all of them from FF. So you can imagine it's pure bliss for me to find more, and Heaven itself when I find an actual one written one.

So, thank you for your time for writing this story. I love it!
ChocolateEclar chapter 1 . 1/10/2008
Nice job. I really like the Christopher/Millie moments. :)

My one critique is this one sentence is rather long:

"Someone held an umbrella over Christopher’s head, and he looked up into the face of Mordecai Roberts, otherwise known as Tacroy, who at the same time appeared just as grim as the others present but also managed to look encouraging down at Christopher, his eyes seeming to say, Don’t worry."

The length jarred me out of the story for a moment. I would recommend breaking it into two or three sentences.

Otherwise, I enjoyed how well Christopher's personality came across and the mentionings of Christopher's love of clothes. (I like the Gabriel's money theory.)

Update soon. _
the-rainbow-dreamer chapter 1 . 1/10/2008
wow i love it! there arent that many cm stories from when they were young and i always try and read them...im looking forward to the next update...if there is going to be one...