Reviews for A Destroyer of Men
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 3/12/2008
I didn't feel competent to comment on this until I'd seen the episode. (I have now, and that battle is amazing. I love it, with all my Watson-fan forever heart.)

And you've done a lovely job of catching Holmes' thoughts (as they ought to be.) We do see him rush off as soon as word comes, and that sort of frozen relief when Watson appears on the stairs. But there should have been more.

I've finally got all the Jeremy Bretts on hand. Time to do some watching...
elecktrum chapter 1 . 2/7/2008
This is wonderful. Every word counts, and brief though it may be, there is a great intensity of characterization and emotion. Bravo Zulu!
let-the-eli-in chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
This was great. It truly felt that this was Holmes speaking.

I loved the last few lines, how Holmes worries whether or not Watson would interpet his words as mere reassurance. He understands Watson and his own capabilities with words so well - that inviting the doctor on another case is the surest way of indicating his need for Watson's presence.
GM chapter 1 . 1/22/2008
A super bit of introspection! Well done.

gm
Lynn chapter 1 . 1/21/2008
Why the dickens aren't more people reviewing this story? It's simply great!

'Still a soldier to the core, he feels he had a duty and that duty was not carried out.' - such a poignant sentence.

I loved, loved, loved it. Why aren't more people telling you that?
Susicar chapter 1 . 1/14/2008
Well done, i liked very much. Congratulations. You portrayed both men magnifically.
KCS chapter 1 . 1/14/2008
I'm glad somebody did this bit - it bothered me in the episode that Watson's battle was treated as a mere minor plot incident, when it seemed to me that the whole business was handled rather deplorably by Holmes.

I'm also very glad to see that you took pains with grammar, spelling, and using words of more than one syllable - it definitely adds to the credibilty of the fic. Please write more!
Chewing Gum chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
While "Three Gables" was never a favourite episode of mine, this was quite adorable. It shows the Holmes I love; he cares so much for Watson but would rather shoot himself in the foot than admit it to anyone, most of all Watson himself.

Wonderfully written. It's so hard to get into Holmes's character that I don't know if I'd ever even attempt a first person with him. You pull it off wonderfully, however.
Igiveup chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
This was really sweet. I haven't seen the episode but I was aware that Watson was attacked. Poor fellow. And poor Holmes too!