Reviews for Defiance
Tayashia chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
Ahh! XD that is so cool!
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
I'm turning into a major Zack and Sephiroth friend-shipper, and your exhaustive development of the subject has certainly been an influence. I think this is a superb expansion on what was going through Sephiroth's head that night. I really like how he initially denies the possibility that Angeal would desert and especially like how one of the things he's basing this on is Angeal's responsibility toward and affection for his pupil. Your portrayal of Sephiroth in a lot of simple words and statements about himself, "I was so angry that night", "I was such a fool" came across strongly and carried a definite impression of his character. I really enjoy how Sephiroth sees Zack's skill right away (I have immense respect for Zack) and it provides a completely plausible reason for Sephiroth not stepping in until it was clear Zack needed a hand. I think it was wonderfully played to have this whole thing essentially an address to Zack. It adds this really personal dynamic.

Great assessment of Sephiroth's opinion of his military position, he never really did seem like he was into the heroic aspect of it, but he did like doing what he wanted to. Really interesting to seem him kind of critical of Angeal's relationship with Zack especially in light of what we find out in this fic. Good job having his character progress, and progress believably at that. "If anyone needed to save you, it should not have been me." Fantastic insight that Sephiroth might have been furious at Angeal particularly over how Zack was being treated, this part definitely stuck out for me. You expound on it nicely in other areas as well and it's a really powerful sentiment.

I think your depiction of Sephiroth through this could almost be considered canon, the hurt betrayal he feels over Angeal's departure beneath his brusque words fits excellently with how the scene was set up in the game. "I did not see a SOLDIER determined to show deliberate disrespect. I saw an angry and worried friend." The way that you show how Sephiroth is completely aware of Zack's breach in protocol but understands it as an outpouring of loyalty rather than insubordination really made an impact on me, it's pretty much how I see the scene now. It's really easy to see Sephiroth resolving to shut himself off and then slowly opening up to Zack. The first time I played the game, it didn't seem to me like they were especially close, but replays actually very strongly gave me the impression that there was a really deep level of trust, respect, and genuine friendship between them. Their kinship over the betrayal is pretty much what I see their friendship growing from, that and Sephiroth's respect for Zack defending Angeal even if it was undeserved. The story's name was wonderfully and excellently expressed in its writing.

The way you do the ending of this, kind of debunking all these personas and titles that Zack has and stripping it down to the truth and strength of the relationship between these two guys was awesome. It was touching and powerful in an incredibly moving way. Well done.
chibi heishi chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Aww. Poor guys - though at least they wound up friends from it.
GoldenShinyWireOfHope chapter 1 . 8/21/2008
I love the way you've chosen to use the voice of Sephiroth talking to Zack. It really adds a refreshing perspective to a familiar scene.
MillieBee chapter 1 . 7/26/2008
That was really heartfelt and beautifully written. *Sniff* I think Zack could get through to the coldest and most horrible person in the world. Hell, he could probably get through to JENOVA. Let alone poor, unsuspecting Sephiroth XD.

Fantastic piece, once again.
misanthropic angel chapter 1 . 1/12/2008
This is really beautiful. I got a bit teary at the last line. I think choosing to write most of it in second-person was actually a really clever choice. It worked really well. Basically I really just liked the whole feel of the piece. It's really well-written and you convey a lot without being too wordy. This is also the first thing I've ever read where I've actually had any ability to empathise with Sephiroth (though it's admittedly set before he went nutso). Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope there are more beautiful oneshots to come in the future.

misanthropic angel
Chibi Cheesecake chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
Ooh, I like this! I love how you captured this moment that completely transcends the rules and formalities of being in SOLDIER, and just shows two people concerned about a mutual friend. Lovely!
Ardwynna Morrigu chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
Seph made the grand entrance but Zack left the impression. So cute! I like that theme of loyalty running through the whole thing.
Kazaam chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
Aw... this was so heartbreaking, and yet, really touching.

It's just awful to think that Angeal had abandoned Zack and left him to face Ifrit alone! And that Zack still refused to believe that he had betrayed them.

And poor Seph, finally having to face the truth of what happened! That has got to be so painful.

But it's great that that was also when they started to form their own friendship, even though they didn't know it at the time. I really love the way this ends.