Reviews for The Last Son, Book Three: Changes
Drgyen chapter 24 . 12/5/2014
That's a freaking ass-pull story for downplaying the Gibborim with Phantom Zone guns. And I have wonder that if you keep having Superman as the science hero, then why bother not using some of his tech to help any obstacles? And don't bullshit about the Prime Directive knock off because by then it becomes a forgone conclusion.
Vanessa Masters chapter 5 . 10/7/2014
Cool. So, Maybe Carol Danvers gets powers from this?
Vanessa Masters chapter 33 . 10/7/2014
Poor Anita, she had to make a hard choice, so did Clark.

And yet, some beautiful news for Sue and Reed :D
Vanessa Masters chapter 32 . 10/7/2014
Wild! And the ending with Martha, emotional, but then it turned to even worse!
bee14ish chapter 36 . 10/4/2014
Good chapter I guess. Would've been much more powerful had Mark actually stayed dead. Hard to believe that an AI as advanced as Brainiac could be outdone by some lowly humans. Also makes it really difficult to read stories knowing that Death is Cheap. Almost skipped straight to the end of the chapter after that cheesy rebirth. Gives the illusion that there's no threat or sense of danger knowing everything will be unchanged and A-OK in the end, since that's rarely how things work in even comic books. Maybe that's just preference, though.
bee14ish chapter 32 . 9/30/2014
Meh. It was a good chapter. Hated the whole scene with Ross though. Seems people don't really know how the US military and government operate. Even without the framing situation, Ross still has tons of evidence to convict Superman and his group, possibly without court.

Also, isn't Wonder Woman a bit of a hypocrite? Claiming pedophilia isn't acceptable back at home...but for the last few months, she's been in some type of relationship with Bruce. I wished someone could have called her out on her crap, but oh well.
bee14ish chapter 31 . 9/29/2014
I know this is your story and all, but lol at the notion of Odin being able to do anything to Mxyzptlk against his will, or Mxyzptlk needing some sorry ass Norn Stone for power. So far beneath him it isn't even funny. Also, Superman replacing Thor in Ragnarok? Way to rob Thor of any significance he may have outside of interactions with others.

Overall, this was alright. I could go without Superman winning every single encounter without using a fraction of his power, but hey, I'm only on Chp. 31, so maybe he will get his ass handed to him sooner or later. We'll see.
gokuchiefkarkat chapter 22 . 8/23/2014
Finally you have Deadpool break the fourth-wall, I've been waiting for that, although he's usually more in your face about it, for example, in a video game, he hits the enemy with his health and special and talks to the player.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 9 . 7/15/2014
Okay. I acknowledge that you are a fantastically talented writer. Your world building is without equal, your writing of action, while it can occasionally come off as a bit Superfriends/overly cheery in style, is clear and effective. I have a number of issues with the story, (overpowered DC, underpowered Marvel, the depressingly overpowered even by DC standards, holier than thou and generally unbelievable (seriously, 21? Take a look at Smallville!Clark during Season 6/7 and explain to me how a 21 year old Superman would be that ridiculously mature) Superman who no one reasonable disagrees with, the nauseating Alison Blaire - who is, admittedly, redeemed somewhat by the Galatea arc, and a complete lack of understanding of the Jean Grey/Phoenix dynamic and her ensuing power levels - Dark Phoenix could take the entire Justice League at once and win, comfortably). However, I accept that you have acknowledged the gaps in your knowledge and have taken steps to rectify that in recent chapters.

This issue, therefore, is not so much about canon (though I have many things to say about the way you've utterly mangled her personality - for starters, this is a woman who very definitely is NOT defined by a man, dead or not). Instead, it is taking a female character and turning her into a one dimensional mockery of a strong character. She only exists to glower suspiciously, mutter about loose cannons and then give, in this chapter, a nationalistic and vaguely racist speech to Superman, thereby allowing him to, once more, play the Holier Than Thou card (yes, the law of Riona Prime is interesting. The tone, not so much). She serves to make Superman, the League and Fury
look reasonable by comparison.

And then, when Superman gives his 'they paid in blood' speech, she doesn't respond, perfectly reasonably, that yes, the research was abhorrent, but it yielded definite results, results that they are perfectly within their rights to use to protect the world, that much of modern science is built on similar foundations. This is an argument that Lex used only a few chapters ago, with, arguably, far less reason, which Superman reluctantly accepted. Instead, Carol just stands there like a lemon.

Reason being? She's a one note strawman, a mockery of a strong woman, who is, ultimately, defined by her man (dead though he may be).

Now, yes, I can understand why she would be angry at the loss of her husband and felt that Superman should have done something (though it should be fairly obvious that Superman was still a kid when her husband died). However, anyone who has achieved that high a rank in any military should be able to control their emotions and act in a professional, intelligent manner. She doesn't. Instead, she starts ranting at Superman, with a cookie cutter reason for her antipathy towards him, serving only as a reason for holier than thou exposition. You didn't even bother to come up with an interesting reason for her being ill disposed to the League. You just resorted to a cliché.

For goodness sake, if all that wasn't enough, you even dropped her several ranks. She's not a Lieutenant, she's a Lieutenant-Colonel. Even in the Ultimate Universe (which you seem to have largely drawn from for the Avengers) she's a Captain, before she becomes Director of SHIELD.

All this smacks of two things: first, laziness. Second, your writing, while brilliant in terms of plot and continuity expertise, lacks maturity. It doesn't, by and large, have emotional nuance and subtlety. The characters don't grow. Every time there's an apparent game changer (Galatea, Clark's capture by Darkseid), the crisis ends nice and neatly and everything, character wise, snaps back to square one.

Now, I really believe in your work. Your conception of Zod was nothing short of brilliant. Your world building is astonishing. Your knowledge of DC continuity is very impressive (the same cannot be said of your knowledge of Marvel, but as noted, you have acknowledged this and made steps to change it). So that's why I am annoyed: you are better than this. Or you should be.

I will admit that part of the reason for my severe irritation is that Carol Danvers is a particular favourite of mine and you inexcusably mangled her. You took her loyalty to her country and made it her defining trait, to the exclusion of all else. It isn't, and, again, lazy. She hasn't appeared for a while, up to the latest update, so I think extensive rehabilitation is required, hmm? And, I would humbly suggest, it might behoove you to watch Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, for her depiction if nothing else. For her depiction specifically, I point you to 'Ms Marvel: Ascension', particularly the time before she had powers, and the current Kelly Sue de Connick run on Captain Marvel.

Speaking of which, don't you think it logical that a military woman would take a more military themed codename? Such as, I don't know... Captain Marvel?

But part of my anger is that you resorted to the typically dismissive hysterical woman explanation for her disapproval of the League when I know that you can do better, and, more to the point, at this point in your writing, could do better.
LaNaturalBreezeOf-Books chapter 43 . 7/4/2014
To be truthful, I couldn't enjoy the character of Alison Blaire. Everything else was exceptional; the descriptions and dialogue was engaging and was what pulled me through this monster story!
I tried to give Alison a chance like you said but I was turned off and frustrated by the way she talked to Clark; constant giggling is probably a common female trait but it made her look like a schoolgirl that still gossips to her friends about how cute the new guy was. I'm not exactly a expert on Clark Kent/Kal-El's character but he is a mature adult that is past the schoolgirl types.
I recognised that most of the females in the story, when engaged in a romantic scene, coo a lot. Cooing is aimed at children or cute animals, or in a joking manner if it is aimed at an older person.
I cringed every time Alison cooed at Clark. Whatever mature romantic stuff going on at the time was promptly *killed* by that almost degrading choice of word. I can't help it if you really believe that is how Superman's one true love should speak to him as if he were a child.
I appreciated the attempt to make Alison more tasteful to the readers by making her sort out her own problems with the whole break up thing but she was pretty weak in dealing with her emotions. Like, get over it!
I see Superman as a man and too many times have I seen Alison be an emotionally weak and inferior female that should have been like Lana; left in the past. I admit I skipped a lot of a Alison/Clark moments because it made me swear in frustration few times too many.
I stayed for the Zod plot and I wasn't disappointed. The General could have been one awesome 'take no bullzhuut from no one' sort of guy which is needed but I guess fate has a strong grip on him. I also really liked your creative use of onomatopoeia. Haven't read much comics of watched many tv shows so I'm taking everything as I see it! Can I ask a question, how many science-babble-historic stories, words and phrases are real? It is so easy to believe everything.
Good job I was impressed! ;)
MF 22 chapter 43 . 3/25/2014
I hope the fourth book has Cadmus being taken down, with Lassider standing trial for treason. He not only disobeyed a lawful order from his superior, but one from his Commander-In-Chief. That's treason, an offense that brings with it the death penalty.
MF 22 chapter 11 . 3/22/2014
When using the Kelvin scale, you don't use degrees. You just say the number and Kelvin (or K, for short,) such as 0 Kelvin, which is absolute zero, with the Celsius equivalent being -273.15 degrees Celsius.
wolvesowl chapter 40 . 3/5/2014
This is a great story! Thanks for posting.
Miriam1 chapter 38 . 2/26/2014
I have two questions. 1) Is Deadpool a character of any canon, either Marvel or DC? 2) This is the second meta-break of the fourth wall I've seen in this story. Is this common for Deadpool, either as a canon character or as an OC?

Beyond those... I don't have words to describe how amazing this story is. Just when I thought you've outdone yourself, you quickly go one better.

I'm looking forward to reading the oncoming battle. (There are SO many subplots going on, you have plenty of material for the NEXT story, as well.)

Miriam1 chapter 34 . 2/25/2014
General Zod IS everything Superman's detractors thought Kal was.

Kal is content to live peacefully, and help everyone around him do the same. Dru wants to take the Kryptonian superior intellect and power, and take over Earth and its various races present, probably at great cost to everyone involved.

Kal will learn that his godfather is the tyrant the inhabitants of Earth fear. That won't end well. The upcoming clash between Zod and the son of Jor-El will devastate poor Kal.

But I'm sure that Kal will win. He won't be unscathed, but he will succeed, or at least draw a temporary stalemate.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm looking forward to reading further.

1,074 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »