Reviews for The Regicide
gwmdallas chapter 47 . 4/6
entirely absorbing. brilliantly misleading. i'll be reading the rest of your contributions as well as anything i can find on ao3. because i think you're totally swell.
Katescats chapter 47 . 4/1
Hi just read your story it was very good.
MageOfRoses chapter 47 . 3/29
That was a really satisfying ending to the story I have to say. I feel somewhat bad for Sh'vek, but his actions definitely dictated his outcome and it was lucky he didn't take anyone with him in the end at least. I think I still stand by what I mentioned previously about fleshing out Sh'vek's character more and it still wouldn't have ruined the grand reveals, though you are definitely correct in that later chapters definitely illuminated his earlier actions. Really enjoyed the whole story and you definitely have the flair for an authentic Pern inspired plot twist. Very Lessa and Ramoth quieting the watch-wher. The epilogue was also very nice as it showed that they weren't living so much as happily ever after, but showing that even despite their problems they could be happy and effective as a weyr and recover from Sh'vek's influence. Really great job especially on such a long story you did a great job not dropping the important stuff and threading in important clues along the way. I look forward to any future stories. Cheers.
MageOfRoses chapter 44 . 3/29
OH MY FARANTH THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH. YOU CLEVER...OMG. Whelp, I should have seen that coming I think. I mean no wonder he acts in such a way when his whole life has been, well... his whole weyrleader life anyway. That's something to give one the shivers about.
MageOfRoses chapter 35 . 3/28
Hmm, this chapter illuminated my thinking a little more on the subject of Sh'vek. He is obviously not only an unreliable narrator, but he is very much in denial with himself (which lines up with notes you left previously I believe). Seeing it from his POV makes it very obvious that his views and reality don't match up, and I can't tell if he had a rather unhealthy hold/relationship over/with Maedina and Kiath or if it's just his colored perceptions of the situation. How much control does a bronze have or can have over a queen (not really a question that could ever be answered definitively, but definitely shines some interesting light over previous actions and interactions). Obviously the death of someone very close to him set him on a certain journey, but I'm somewhat curious as to how he started getting his hooks into things and the reality of the situation vs. his state of mind towards the beginning. Obviously, the story isn't yet over so my questions might be answered; however, this would definitely have been something well worth illustrated in earlier chapters should the answers to my questions go unresolved in the end. I mean I see the psychology of it. If he feels he is in complete control then anything outside his control is at the fault of another who obviously didn't respect his control or follow his lead well enough. He is a master at absolving himself from guilt and blame, but I think it would have benefited the story to realize more of this before hand. Obviously Sh'vek is willing to go to extremes, but then he really takes it to the next level of extreme and even knowing his tendencies beforehand doesn't make it any less shocking it just makes his character make more sense from the beginning.

I think there is always the worry that the 'villain' is going to be giving too much away, and there is really no definitive way to say what would telegraph his actions or not. I have a feeling we're going to get more of a scoop on A'minek before the story is done so I think it will be summed up there. I think this just really opened my eyes and made me curious about the exact nature of Sh'vek and Maedina's relationship and wonder how deep this controlling nature goes. Onward, to see.
MageOfRoses chapter 33 . 3/28
I'd just like to say that were he real I would love to punch Sh'vek right in his face. He is a horrible human being, but well done on making me viscerally despise your villain. You have a really strong grasp on rising tension, especially now that we are in the latter part of the story. I think as you went along Sh'vek became a much better written and more well rounded protagonist. At first his villainy was a little one dimensional for me. I think in future endeavors you will want to perhaps spend more time grooming your antagonist into a more full fledged individual right off the bat. It could be that you were finding your footing with him as you went along which works out in the long run, and obviously as you explained in some of your author's notes he keeps his grasp on his power by intentionally creating rivalries and rewarding his favorites; however, I think it would have been better to show more of this beforehand, because I feel like he has really only just gotten interesting (in the I want to punch him in the face sort of way). It's hard to say where you might have trimmed in favor of this as it is quite a long story already and sometimes by the end you want to know where you would have to cut down as well as expand while retaining the subtleties of a politically motivated drama. Perhaps in some of F'ren's POV chapters which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy them or anything because I have really enjoyed the whole thing, but I think there would be some room for tightening up in some of them. Some of this you've probably considered or seen in retrospect or perhaps others have commented on previously, but I wanted to add this review while my thoughts were still fresh in my mind before I continue on my way. Anyway, I'm impatient to get back to reading so I'll leave it here for now. ;)
MageOfRoses chapter 32 . 3/28
Oh my gosh. I am glad I can read this all at once. The suspense would have killed me.
Interesting, I didn't realize there was information regarding that from an interview. I'm glad I'm not skimming over the author's notes! I should look up her interviews. I wonder if they are collected somewhere.
MageOfRoses chapter 10 . 3/27
I like the angle about brain injuries and a dragon perhaps not recognizing their rider after one due to drain damage. It's an interesting angle. I love Rahnis, she's a wonderful character.
MageOfRoses chapter 5 . 3/26
Definitely enjoying the story so far! I think I'll probably wait until the end to do a more in depth sort of catch all review unless I pick up on something I can't help myself but comment on in the meantime. :)
MageOfRoses chapter 1 . 3/26
I started reading this ages ago and then forgot about it and picked it up again while browsing. I really enjoy the strained politics going on. There are so many complex hierarchies at work in weyr, hold, and hall and I always love seeing them thoroughly exercised in fanfiction. I am looking forward to re-reading the rest. :D
snolike chapter 47 . 10/20/2014
Excellent. F'ren reminds me a bit of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe.
Debby chapter 1 . 10/14/2014
I don't usually comment on Chapter 1, but this is one of the best Fall stories I've ever read. I love the not so perfect bronze rider as well as all the other flawed characters you've touched on. Your descriptions are chilling and vivid! Looking forward to the rest of the story!
wendums chapter 47 . 3/19/2014
Amazing. Thank you for sharing this wonderful world with us
lynda.key1 chapter 47 . 3/19/2014
Oh no, thank you for creating such an amazing story! What an adventure! My emotions have been thoroughly worn out and so glad they ended on such a high note. Yay for F'ren and Rahnis together and their mini-me on it's way! I think she will impress a brown. And if she's anything like her father I pity the weyrling trainer.