Reviews for Husbanding England
Twisted-Taffy chapter 5 . 1/28
Sooo much better than the BBC ending... Thanks for writing this, I really enjoyed reading, and will certainly read it again.
Echo chapter 1 . 6/27/2014
Why would the king mutter in french?
SpiritFeather19524 chapter 1 . 4/27/2014
i would like to say i think i am cry over allens death (
edwardfiend chapter 5 . 10/30/2012
Great story! I really really enjoyed it! :)
wickienchen chapter 3 . 9/12/2012
Hey there!

I'm really glad I found your story, because the things are really not well at the bbc- canon (especially the thing with king richard and maid marian dying...)...

I am Austrian and the story of king richard was my bedtimestory as a child...

so I'm sorry to correct you, but king richard was not arrested from the pope, but from the austrians - he had to take the way on the land (because richard sailed late the winter storms came, philipp of france closed the ports, and Richard went on shore near Aquileia.) So Richard came through austria - the vasalls of duke leopold knew king richard from the war... the first time Richard was seen a few times on his travel and his attitude and attire (like his ring, or his clothing under his traveller coat) was rather special for a pilgrim... at the 21. December 1192 Richard and his men came to Erdberg (at that time a suburb of vienna) and wanted to buy supplies with masses of oriental money... the men of richard were followed by the austrians and richard was arrested.
they took him to a (now ruined) castle called Dürnstein where richard was held until the rensom money was payed. from this money the austrians built a whole town (Wiener Neustadt).

Richard Lionheart was arrested because of an alliance between Emporer Heinrich VI. of the holy roman empire, Phillipp II of France and leopold of austria (who all had their own problems with richard...)

You are right, leopold was excommunicated, but the reason was that leopold arrested a pilgrim who was under the protection of the pope (like all pilgims)...

the story of richard lionheart is tho find on wikipedia too - like that... (the english one is missing some details, but it's confirming my story...)

but exapt that historical lapsus, your story is very good!

wickienchen
Guest chapter 5 . 7/17/2012
Loved this:)) I especially enjoyed the historical tid bits at the end
Grace317 chapter 5 . 3/31/2012
So I can't find the "review entire story" option, but that's what this actually is.

First off, as a history buff, I most definitely appreciate the amount of historical research you do for this and all your Robin Hood stories. I tend to get annoyed when things are historically off, but you manage to be far more accurate than most fanfiction writers, and I am definitely grateful. Also, having read many of your Robin Hood stories in the past week, I would like to say that yours is some of the most compelling writing I've seen in this fandom. You seem to understand the characters better than most, which for me is crucial in writing good fanfiction.

That said, a few (very) minor points:

First I've noticed a few problems with homophones. "Thrown" and "throne" in the epilogue and "heel" and "heal" in the last chapter come to mind.

Second, an extremely tiny and nit-picky point: "Will and Djaq Scarlett" should actually be "Djaq and Will Scarlett," since the bride's name comes first (or at least it does in the American English that I learned in high school).

Third and finally, I could be completely wrong about this, but I seem to remember from an English history class I took that Henry VIII was the first king of England to be referred to as "your Majesty," and therefore Richard should really be "your Highness" or similar. But as that class was several years ago, I could easily be wrong, and you should trust your research on the subject.

One further point: you mentioned in one of your author's notes that you are Catholic. So am I, and I would like to say- especially as a history buff- that it lends a great deal of authenticity to the way you treat the church in your stories. One of my greatest pet-peeves with medieval stories and films is their portrayal of the church. Writers often get the positions of various members of the church completely wrong, and half the time, they show mass in English or some other vernacular language in the middle ages, when in fact the church used Latin well into the 20th century (until the '60s, in fact, though I suspect you know that).

The point of the last paragraph, and this entire review, is that despite any mistakes, I find your portrayal of the period and the characters to be the best I've yet seen in this fandom. Thank you, and keep up the good work.
musical-penguins chapter 5 . 9/6/2011
this is a much, much, MUCH better ending than the BBC version. way better.
Doctor Tyler chapter 5 . 10/27/2010
Awww such a prefect ending! This was so good! Thank you for all of the history lessons too, I enjoyed them a lot!
Doctor Tyler chapter 3 . 10/26/2010
"You plan on crediting your young vassal as well. Tell me, what does he do for you that wins your affection?"

Is this the part where he calls the king gay?

Good story so far that I have read!
Satan Abraham chapter 5 . 10/26/2010
Okay, here's my overall review of the story-

AI liked it. It was well-written and interesting.

BI didn't like how they didn't mention Allan until the very end. Don't you think they'd be a bit more sad if they're friend just died, not get married left and right? (*cough*willanddjaq*cough*) Unless Allan was the friend everyone just pretended to like, we all have one of those.
Satan Abraham chapter 3 . 10/26/2010
I FOUND IT!

When he's talking about Robin to Richard!
Satan Abraham chapter 1 . 10/26/2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOT ALLAN!

Why couldn't have you killed, I dunno, Much or Little John or Will or Djaq?
Neftzer chapter 5 . 10/16/2010
The use of the 'husbanding' definition makes me happy. :)

Nice surprise upon visiting the Pope. Robin really can't manage to stay on the right side of authority, can he?

...but Allan's redemption comes at too high a cost :(
rmonroe chapter 5 . 10/5/2010
I just found your stories and I'm so glad I did! This is definately how season two should have ended. I mean really, how can you possibly have a Robin Hood story without Marian? Just not possible (as we clearly saw in the disaster that was season three). I also LOVE the historical notes for every chapter! It's not every day you get to enjoy a fanfic and actually learn something, too! Thank you so much for doing your research!

Well, I'm off to read your other stories, and I can't wait. Homework may suffer for the next few days . . . ;)