Reviews for Desperate Measures
Mari83 chapter 1 . 5/5/2009
For some strange reason I was very convinced that I reviewed this one. Even after poking around in my Swiss cheese brain it says I have. Anyway, still sad and intense and impressing.

Sounds odd from my M/L conviction, but this is how S2 should have been, capturing that raw, broken, angsty atmosphere where things go wrong without any real options to make them right and with the characters unable to deal with all the emotions.

"It's her swollen sense of duty that leads her to his front door. They buried Rachael Berrisford today, and it's her job to see if Alec is okay. It's her self-appointed responsibility to look out for him, for all of them, and to wash, fold, and put away all of Manticore's dirty laundry whenever they trip and stumble over it."

I just love the wording here. Maybe most impressive is Max because it makes plausible and tangible the change from fun-loving, upbeat S1 Max to her subdued S2 self, kind of dulled with her sense of duty. And I know it has been pointed out before, but in a way it’s loganizing her, feeling more responsibility and guilt than she can handle and reacting with self-sacrifice.

"When it's finally over, he's bathed with a sense of calm, and he can face his feelings again, and they don't overwhelm them like they did before. She brings him peace after all, though not as she planned it. His sorrow is quieter as she holds him, the grief is back, but not as intense, and he can bury it now.

He falls into an exhausted sleep, and she silently gathers her clothes and leaves."

I hadn’t noticed that much with the first times of reading, but so much almost child-like vulnerability here, actually reminds me more of a sibling searching comfort with the older sister than anything sexual.
Dark Roswellian Angel chapter 1 . 4/18/2008
That was intense. You did a good job of writing their desperation and their different needs and how they're both able to help each other. Good stuff :)
BLISSFULLY-JADED73 chapter 1 . 4/11/2008
I just found this story and I'm definitely interested. I hope you update soon
LuckyX5-650 chapter 1 . 1/20/2008
Really good! I like how you did the personification.
quirks chapter 1 . 1/18/2008
This was good! Nicely written - I particularly noticed some really cool word choices. Also an insightful look into both their characters. Neither one knows how to deal with emotion, but they both follow strong instincts. You hint at how good they could be for each other, without turning it into a fairy tale.

I really look forward to reading more of your stuff. Oh, I came here via a rec at NWP.
klylu chapter 1 . 1/17/2008

this story is amazing! i second all that Stand In Girl said... if they are a little out of character, you just put them in the perfect situation where it's perfectly believable to behave like that.

you should totally write more MA fics. or developing something from here. as much as i loved it as a standalone, i can see a longer story coming from this.

hope to read something new soon!
supernana494 chapter 1 . 1/17/2008
wow!that was amazing!your first MA fic is really awesome I hope you'll write an other fic or a next chapter for this one!
purplebunnywabbit chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
I'm totally adding this one to my favs, it was that good. You know that is a much more remarkable addition, felt right, like it should've been that way to begin with. It's enormously marvelous, I haven't seen it put together this way, the idea that is. I like your version very much.
iluvcake chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
Awesome fic!
rehtse chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
) Told ya this would be a hit. Great first MA fic ;)
j chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
I liked it.. it was different.. you should keep it going.. maybe develop it into a relationship?
jaded chapter 1 . 1/15/2008
very nice! it was short and I would love to see you develop it into something more but it was great
Stand In Girl chapter 1 . 1/15/2008
Ah! My response to that is: Write more MA! Excellent one-shot. I can feel the roughness around the characters, like you're still getting used to them, but you did an awesome job with it overall. The fact that Alec was so emotional over the course of that episode makes it plausible that he'll beg her, even though he's not usually that type of person. And although on the surface I'd say it isn't like her to accept, you did a great job of explaining that she first did it because of the guilt she felt-and then continued so she could get rid of the coldness in BOTH of them.

I liked this a lot. Good job!