Reviews for The Christmas Waltz
Kitten Kisses chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
You have so many 'fics, it's going to be hard to pick which ones to read first! But since I was supposed to be in bed hours ago, I picked this one. ;)

[She adores his smiles, covets them and guards them jealously because they're precious; when he chooses to share one with her it makes the world light up.] Ahh I know this feeling very well.

[liking that she trusts him] When you know someone else knows you've got there's such a good feeling.

[Good enough for the likes of him anyway, and it seems odd to want more when he already has so much, someone who'll take his hand without a moment's thought and trusts him so completely. He's torn between settling for that – and it's not settling, not really – and wanting more, much more, although what that might look like still eludes him a little, as if it's too big a thought, a hope, to fully contain.] Good God. I was just going to copy the beginning part of this to comment on, but the whole thing was too good and so I had to copy it all to say I LOVE THESE LINES. You describe an inner turmoil of thoughts and feelings that are clashing and merging so well. His hope and desire is very clear, but the overlaying "just friends" is so bright that you can't help but miss it. My favorite part is that it feels odd to him to want more when he already has so much. The best word I can think of to describe that particular line is, "beautiful". Because really, it is. It hurts to read, and it's amazing, but it's also so lovely, that he'll take what he has and be happy with it, but that he does want more, even if it feels odd, even if the mere thought is overwhelming.

[Remus laughs with her, because he can't resist a chance to hear how their voices sound, mingled, blended, together.] Gahhhh lovely. You really describe the small things about love that really make love feel like LOVE. I probably sound slightly insane by saying that, but it's so true. I haven't read much by you yet, but what I have read is I'm impressed. And these days, it does take a lot to impress me. That said, oftentimes writers write romance about their favorite couple, and even though they love the characters as individuals and as a couple, they fail to put it into their writing. Here we're shown- not told- that Remus is absolutely in love with her, in love with all the silly quirks about her, in love with the way she laughs and the feel of her and just her presence. It takes a special person to be able to really write believable romance, but you can do it. And reading this story makes me say, "If I didn't already believe in Remus and Tonks as a couple that would work, this would seal the deal for me." Because honestly, romance is more than just writing about two people together. You're also convincing your audience that they belong together, and in order to do that, you have to show them why.

[and he thinks he could look at her forever.] I'm not a sap, not really, but this is really sweet. And real. When you love someone and long for them, you really could look at them forever. (And if you can't, well, it's probably not really love. I can't imagine waking up beside someone I was in love with and NOT wanting to look at them anymore! LOL.)

[and yet he only ever finds the nerve to scratch the surface, because he's not certain, at all, that she wants to hear any of it, wants him to nudge them irrevocably over the blurred boundary between friendship and a chance at something more.] I like that Remus is confident about so many things, but not so with this. It seems to fit him, a man who has probably never really known how to deal with such things.

[at once a bit relieved and aching with disappointment] God, this is a feeling I think most of us have felt at least once before...if not many more times.

["Seriously," Sirius says, "sorry if I interrupted something."] This is so far my favorite interpretation of Sirius. The guy spent twelve years in a shoddy prison, and despite the loltastic pun on his name, I do like seeing Sirius be, well, serious. Not that I mind some teasing on his part, but I love that when he comes in, he's not immediately cracking jokes and ribbing Remus about it. He's honestly apologetic and sorry that he came in and might have interrupted something important for his friend.

[and now at least Tonks doesn't know how wrong she was in saying he was a brave soul.] Sad. :(

[He has no idea if he's more afraid she'll say no or yes.] Aww.

["What's stopping you?" Sirius says, and Remus finds he hasn't quite got the words to explain it.] Yay for Sirius being quietly encouraging, for being such a good friend, for not turning things silly and ridiculous, for making fun of what is actually a big issue for Remus. It's sad that he can't find the words to explain what it is holding him back, but it's good that he has someone to listen if he wanted to try and put it into words.

[even though you've never done anything wrong, even though what happened to you wasn't your fault, you lock yourself away in fear, as a kind of punishment. Sometimes you let people visit, but ultimately you think you deserve to be alone, so you lock yourself in.] This is exactly what I think. And to see it so eloquently put is lovely.

[and yet it's almost a relief to hear it, to have it not be some figment of his imagination.] I bet that it is an amazing relief for him, to feel as if he's not out of his mind. If you're told something enough, you start to believe it, you know? That someone doesn't always have to be someone else.

["For all of us, then," Sirius says. "For all of us who never got to try."] This line, and the two afterward...made me a bit misty-eyed, I admit. Sirius doesn't get to go out and find himself a significant other. That Remus is free to actually date if he wants to is...actually a rather nice thing. I'm sure Sirius wouldn't mind the chance to go out and meet people, you know? That said, Sirius here seems to understand Remus. You didn't have to spell that out in so many words, you showed it in the writing, in the hand gestures, the flexing of fingers on peeling paint, Sirius's calm questions and proddings, his silent understanding of the prison that Remus has locked himself up inside of. By the way: ["It's just not easy," he says, "when everyone I've ever loved has left me."] This was sad and makes so much sense. It seems small at a glance, but it's not an easy thing to get over, especially for Remus, who's had more on his plate than most. He lost his only friends, probably his parents, lost the comfort they provided. And because he's a werewolf, he can't hold a job, never has anything nice, can't afford to buy new clothes, even. He's probably never had a steady thing in his life at all, except for his monthly transformations. :(

["I like you," he says quietly.] The way he confesses is so...awkward. Simple at first, them rambling. It feels very much like Remus to me.

And this was a great story. Just wonderful. Thank you very much for writing it and sharing it with the world. (And I'm sorry for all the copy/pasting. It's just how I review. If it's annoying just let me know and I shall refrain from further use of that particular technique.)

Kuri333 chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
I can't believe my luck on finding this story (and I can't belive I haven't found it before). It's been a long time since the last time I've read any good Tonks/Remus fic, and yours is excellent! I enjoyed every word!

Thanks a lot for writing such a sweet, delicate fic.

Minerva's Daughter232 chapter 1 . 11/26/2011
A waltz with James. (Sorry Lily) I loved it. Especially the ending. I do like fluffy stuff.
FoxfaceWeasley chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
This was very well written! It was brilliant. I'll take the Tango. ;)
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
Brilliant. It and Werewolf Who stole Christmas sum them up perfectly.
I Luv R-T chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
that's so adorable!

i'll take the waltz w remus, thank you. :) chapter 1 . 5/3/2011
Foxtrot with James, please! Loved the pace and dialogue of this one!
Owl Emporium chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
That was so sweet. (: It was great! I loved it. Good job. (:
RhiMayFAN chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
Im in love.

gold cobra chapter 1 . 11/1/2009
Great fic; love it. Really well written and sweet.
Wuff chapter 1 . 11/2/2008
Oh, this was so lovely. I've never been very fond of the NTRL pairing because I never saw much chemistry in the books but I think you've converted me.

The whole thing was very well written, very touching, the characterisation was spot on (I really liked the appearance of Sirius) - to sum it up: I loved it. Especially this line:

"And then, with a pang of something that’s not quite painful, he realises that she must have known that she’d end up sprawled on the ice, and yet she came with him anyway, because she wanted to, because she trusted him, because she thought it would be worth it."

Really says all about Tonks.
Ryuko Ishida chapter 1 . 4/28/2008
Aw... sweetness -
claudiastar chapter 1 . 4/19/2008
this is so pretty and true is causing me something close to pain.

wow. you are amazing with your wisdom and understanding for these characters.
Bunnyluv611 chapter 1 . 4/18/2008
i'll take the waltz with a werewolf

and after reading such a brilliant story, it's quite depressing to find my moony taken-

love it
rbackwards chapter 1 . 4/8/2008
Very gracefully written. This is a wonderful tribute to one of the most romantic couples in the milieu. I'm also glad to read more of the friendship between Sirius and Remus. Very natural dialogue. You romantic, you.